Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz rents weed filled vehicle to church youth group for ski trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others

My wife and I took our church youth group to the mountains this past weekend for a ski trip. We rented two vehicles from Hertz for 3 days. When my wife got into her SUV not only was the passenger front seat broken in a permanent recline, the vehicle smelled like "cigarettes". Only when the teens piled in at the youth pick up location was she informed by the youth group that the vehicle had a strong "dank weed" smell. We were already on the way and there was no time to try to make any exchanges.

I tried to call customer support when we were on the trip but no one could help us with our issue.

We tried to keep the windows down a bit to air it out but even returning it 3 days later did it still reek.

When we returned I talked with the Hertz District Manager and he offered one day credit and a $50 voucher for the "inconvenience". I can't imagine how they think that is acceptable.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:56 pm

You could file a complaint with Hertz corporate but they already offered you a voucher and a partial refund. If you just want to make sure it doesn't happen again then you should contact corporate.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m907
You could file a complaint with Hertz corporate but they already offered you a voucher and a partial refund. If you just want to make sure it doesn't happen again then you should contact corporate.
I think the seriousness of the error warrants a full refund if not more.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by bazers
The vehicle wasn't "weed filled," it smelled of smoke. Why did your wife accept the vehicle in the first place, if the smoke smell was that bad? Personally, I won't take a smoky vehicle.
BigJC likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
If it was that serious you would have returned/exchanged the car. But now that you've "eaten the steak" I don't think free is the resolution.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
Social media is better than callign sometimes. Find out if the location has their own page or feed.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Corporate has now issued a full refund and a $100 voucher to express their apology.

Originally Posted by neo_781
If it was that serious you would have returned/exchanged the car. But now that you've "eaten the steak" I don't think free is the resolution.
I called their "help" line while on the trip but no one could help me. Then I was on hold forever and finally gave up as I had a youth retreat to run.

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
The vehicle wasn't "weed filled," it smelled of smoke. Why did your wife accept the vehicle in the first place, if the smoke smell was that bad? Personally, I won't take a smoky vehicle.
We had 30 youth waiting to be picked up and they had no other large SUV available so we were "stuck".

Correct, it wasn't literally filled with weed but filled with weed smell, although some suspected some might be stashed in the car somewhere since the smell wasn't going away.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 13, 2018 at 2:40 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:29 pm

Good to see that the kids in the church youth group immediately recognized the smell of weed.

As Mencken observed, "sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone."

Here's hoping the kids in your youth group are among the former.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Did any of the kids have visions of god during the trip?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Corporate has now issued a full refund and a $100 voucher to express their apology.
Good for you, and good for Hertz. No doubt they realized they needed to get in front of this from a customer service perspective, lest you go to the local TV news. They’d eat this story up....
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:47 pm

Sounds like one of my rentals couple years ago out of ATL.

except, I had the bad luck of getting pulled over on i75 going 80 in a 65 zone. The popo’s smelt the weed odor in the car and called for backup and did a cavity search of the car. Luckily there was no weed anywhere and just the odor.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: Hertz President Circle, National Executive Elite.
You could have only got a full refund if you'd not put miles on the vehicle and/or there there were no other SUV's there. And i don't completely understand how the smell was unnoticed until you left the facility. That is one of the first things anyone generally notices about their rental.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
It was a church youth retreat so presumably, there were loads of weed in the vehicle, just belonging to the passengers. I think the complaint is ridiculous, and I find it weird Hertz fell for it.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:45 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Correct, it wasn't literally filled with weed but filled with weed smell, although some suspected some might be stashed in the car somewhere since the smell wasn't going away.
Bummer. I was going to sign up for the next retreat just for the herbal sacrament.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I called their "help" line while on the trip but no one could help me. Then I was on hold forever and finally gave up as I had a youth retreat to run.
The On Rent Help Desk wouldn't have been able to help you anyway.

The On Rent desk is strictly an administrative call center. They can do things like extend your rental, dispatch a tow truck, etc., but they have no customer service oversight and cannot change rates, issue credits, or make any other modifications to the rental agreement.

Only two groups have any kind of ability to issue credits/refunds:

• A manager at the physical pick-up location
  • The Hertz corporate customer service department, but only after the rental car has been returned and the contract closed out
Unlike Enterprise, Hertz managers are not trained in how to ensure complete customer satisfaction at the local level (Google "Enterprise ESQI" for more on that), so you won't generally get great results from local management (whereas with Enterprise, it's actually not difficult to get an entire rental for free just by uttering the words "I'm not completely satisfied"). Customer Relations tends to be slightly more generous, but it's hit or miss with them, too. At least it seems Hertz did ultimately step up in your case, though since you didn't refuse the vehicle at the time of pickup, I think their compensation offer is well above and beyond expectations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.