Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Platinum CDP - do I have to pay with Amex Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by eyeballer
Chase has this term in their exclusions:

Amex Plat CDP terms say:

Now.. whether Chase checks the CDP used if you make a claim I don't know? That's why I was wondering if anyone has made a Chase CDW successful claim using the AMEX CDP.
Technically speaking, I don't think the CDP terms are the part of "auto rental agreement". That being said, if this is your concern, I would use AMEX Plat when I book the car. Then, when I return the car, if there is no incident, I would ask the rep to charge the total to my CSR instead.

Also, it is worth noting that it is not Chase who will process the CDW claim. It is a 3rd party insurance company (eclaimsline.com IIRC). I don't think they even understand (or care) about Hertz CDP.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by godsquare
Technically speaking, I don't think the CDP terms are the part of "auto rental agreement". That being said, if this is your concern, I would use AMEX Plat when I book the car. Then, when I return the car, if there is no incident, I would ask the rep to charge the total to my CSR instead.
That's what I've been doing since I got the CSR ^
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
If you reserve with the Amex Platinum CDP you can see the 4-hour grace period allowance right on Hertz's website. For example, if you use any random CDP and book a rental for 1 day and 4 hours, you will get charged for 2 days. If, however, you then change the CDP to the Amex Platinum CDP, the same duration will only reflect a 1-day rental due to the Amex Platinum 4-hour grace period.

I would assume if you have a corporate CDP that has a similar benefit, you would see the same thing in a test booking. If not, then you only get the standard 29 minute grace period.
I've been told that the AmEx Plat Charge Card/PTS four hour grace period is only for rentals in the USA and that in Europe there's no grace period at all. Is this correct?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 7, 2017 at 5:44 am Reason: moved into amex thread
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've been told that the AmEx Plat Charge Card/PTS four hour grace period is only for rentals in the USA and that in Europe there's no grace period at all. Is this correct?
As I understand it, there is no four-hour rule outside the US. As a Platinum, I discovered this at LHR a couple of years ago and since then make sure I return within the regular time limit.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
As I understand it, there is no four-hour rule outside the US. As a Platinum, I discovered this at LHR a couple of years ago and since then make sure I return within the regular time limit.
It works at corporate locations in the UK and in Germany but there will be places where it doesn't work elsewhere in Europe. Best advice is suck it and see. You do need to book the four hours though, rather than book, say 2 p.m. to 2 p.m. and return at 5 p.m. If you book a 28 hour rental for your last day then it should price out as if you'd booked 24h.

Frequently a two-day weekend rental is basically the same price as a one-day rental so the benefit is limited.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold

Hi,

Do I have to pay with the Amex Platinum in order to use the Amex Platinum CDP, or is it enough to just show it? I have a credit card that has no foreign exchange fees so would prefer to pay with that instead of my Amex Platinum.

Thanks!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 10, 2018 at 9:10 am Reason: merged with other threads on this topic
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:09 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

You probably don't even need to show it. As long as you have the card you are eligible to use the CDP. You definitely don't need to use it for the rental, and most times they won't even ask to see it.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:20 am

Brilliant! Thanks for the quick reply!
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:19 pm

If you don't use it , then the car rental coverage that comes on some American Express Platinum Charge cards will not take effect
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you don't use it , then the car rental coverage that comes on some American Express Platinum Charge cards will not take effect
Thanks. I believe with the UK Platinum there is no requirement to pay with the card.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by wheatbeer
Thanks. I believe with the UK Platinum there is no requirement to pay with the card.
If that is the case on UK cards, then you should be fine

Last edited by Dave Noble; Feb 11, 2018 at 4:38 am
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
You probably don't even need to show it. As long as you have the card you are eligible to use the CDP. You definitely don't need to use it for the rental, and most times they won't even ask to see it.
Per Terms and Conditions:
The Platinum CardŽ Member must use the designated program CDP #211762 at the time of reservation and pay for the Hertz rental with his or her Platinum Card to receive the following benefits from Hertz

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...EXPlatinum.jsp

So technically, yes we know CDP will work with any card, especially with Gold/5*/PC and Ultimate Choice locations, when you don't even have to visit the counter, however T&C explicitly say you must pay with it to receive benefits.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
I have Amex Plat and utilizing the 4 hour grace period. I prefer to pay with my Barclay Arrival card to reimburse me the rental cost through the travel credit. Does anyone know if this will nullify the 4 hour grace period? From what I have been reading, since we are using the bypass counter I should be fine?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:48 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by cdoobiest
I have Amex Plat and utilizing the 4 hour grace period. I prefer to pay with my Barclay Arrival card to reimburse me the rental cost through the travel credit. Does anyone know if this will nullify the 4 hour grace period? From what I have been reading, since we are using the bypass counter I should be fine?
Yes, you should be fine. The CDP is what determines the benefits--not the card you pay with.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
I've done dozens of rentals with the Amex Plat CDP (and associated grace period), but charged to my CSR. No problem at all.
sgb1 and Joonydell like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.