Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz PlatePass (States that Use E-ZPass) Thread

Old Apr 27, 2024, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Note for renters in NYC - Starting June 30, 2024 (pending final approval), be aware of the congestion fee/toll that will be assessed via PlatePass or personal transponder if you drive into the Congestion Relief Zone that includes all local streets and avenues in Manhattan south of and including 60 Street, excluding the FDR Drive, West Side Highway/Route 9A, and the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel connections to West Street.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...30-2024-a.html
Print Wikipost

Hertz PlatePass (States that Use E-ZPass) Thread

Old Apr 27, 2024, 11:56 am

still having problems with the NC Quick Pass in Florida. Rented a car in Tampa this weekend with my transponder and had to go over the Sunshine Skyway bridge. Had the transponder with a suction cup/Velcro adapter on the windshield of a Hyundai SUV. Went through the cash lanes to see what would happen. Sure enough, the transponder did not read. Fortunately I was able to pay cash and avoid the admin fee headache (took a receipt just in case). Have not had a problem in my own vehicle up in the Northeast.

I would strongly recommend anyone visiting Florida use the Visitor Toll Pass in Orlando or consider purchasing a SunPass/Uni transponder if visiting other areas with any frequency.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 8:36 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Rented car from JFK for a visit to Rochester, Niagara, NJ. Hertz charged me for PlatePass instead of tolls+fee. Any idea how I can get this corrected?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kumarshah
Rented car from JFK for a visit to Rochester, Niagara, NJ. Hertz charged me for PlatePass instead of tolls+fee. Any idea how I can get this corrected?
Did the car have an E-Z Pass transponder mounted in a box on the windshield? If so, was the box open or closed during your rental?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 1:36 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by guv1976
Did the car have an E-Z Pass transponder mounted in a box on the windshield? If so, was the box open or closed during your rental?
There was no transponder mounted.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
What, exactly, was your expectation on how you would be charged for the tolls you incurred? Did you have your own transponder with you?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 3:03 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
What, exactly, was your expectation on how you would be charged for the tolls you incurred? Did you have your own transponder with you?
This has been the case in my previous US visits also. I always got charged the toll + convenience fee. In this same trip, I did a one-way rental from New Orleans to Houston, that car also had no transponder, and it was charged with tolls + fee instead of PlatePass.

So, to not get charged for PlatePass we have to have a car with the transponder and use it?

Just to clarify, I got charged for the all-inclusive PlatePass at 27.99$/day in the JFK rental.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kumarshah
This has been the case in my previous US visits also. I always got charged the toll + convenience fee. In this same trip, I did a one-way rental from New Orleans to Houston, that car also had no transponder, and it was charged with tolls + fee instead of PlatePass.

So, to not get charged for PlatePass we have to have a car with the transponder and use it?

Just to clarify, I got charged for the all-inclusive PlatePass at 27.99$/day in the JFK rental.
Here's what hertz.com says:

Did you specifically decline Plate Pass at the start of your rental?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
27.99/day for 'all inclusive tolling' ??!! Wow talk about a ripoff scam.
Xyzzy and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old May 1, 2024, 5:14 am

If the proposed Congestion Pricing (see wikipost) goes into effect at the end of June, a trip from EWR into lower Manhattan via the NJ Turnpike and Holland or Lincoln Tunnels would incur tolls around the current all inclusive rate.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
If the proposed Congestion Pricing (see wikipost) goes into effect at the end of June, a trip from EWR into lower Manhattan via the NJ Turnpike and Holland or Lincoln Tunnels would incur tolls around the current all inclusive rate.
I'd abslutely expect them to raise that already outrageous rate.
Old May 17, 2024, 5:07 am

Of note to Hertz renters, recent discussion of the lower Manhattan congestion fee in the NY Forum thread found in the wiki has indicated that the congestion fee readers may only be configured to capture vehicle information via license plates and not transponders. That would mean any renter entering the congestion zone would be subject to PlatePass charges/fees, even if a personal transponder is in the vehicle. The alternative would be to maintain an account with an agency that allows temporary registration of rental vehicles (which the MTA does not seem to allow, per discussion in this thread).
Old May 25, 2024, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Of note to Hertz renters, recent discussion of the lower Manhattan congestion fee in the NY Forum thread found in the wiki has indicated that the congestion fee readers may only be configured to capture vehicle information via license plates and not transponders. That would mean any renter entering the congestion zone would be subject to PlatePass charges/fees, even if a personal transponder is in the vehicle. The alternative would be to maintain an account with an agency that allows temporary registration of rental vehicles (which the MTA does not seem to allow, per discussion in this thread).
I'm not so sure. The MTA page for congestion pricing toll information refers to paying with E-Z Pass transpnders:
Customers will be able to use their E-ZPass tags to pay the Congestion Relief Zone toll as they do today to pay tolls on other roads, bridges, and tunnels. Those without an E-ZPass tag will receive a Tolls by Mail bill to the registered owner of the vehicle.
Old May 25, 2024, 12:46 am

Did the Info Visitor Toll Pass at MCO and worked great. The self service kiosk was right by the rental counters in Terminal B. Took 30 seconds to scan get my tag. Went to rental car input license plate, hang it on the mirror then dropped it off at same kiosk the last day. You get email with invoice total and charges about 3 days later, all normal prices, it overrides anything that Hertz has.
Old May 25, 2024, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I'm not so sure. The MTA page for congestion pricing toll information refers to paying with E-Z Pass transpnders:
But that same page also says this:

"If you already have an E-ZPass, make sure your current license plate is linked to your E-ZPass account. This will ensure youre charged the E-ZPass rate once the Congestion Relief Zone toll is in effect."
Xyzzy and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
But that same page also says this:

"If you already have an E-ZPass, make sure your current license plate is linked to your E-ZPass account. This will ensure youre charged the E-ZPass rate once the Congestion Relief Zone toll is in effect."
Missed that -- thanks. It's gnna be a mess!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.