Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz PlatePass (TxTag/K-Tag) for Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz PlatePass (TxTag/K-Tag) for Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by sunpass

The TX-Tag would supersede the PlatePass billing as it would be a transponder read prior to going to photo tolling (sans transponder).

The problem is that all of the tags issued by the various Texas authorities are sticker-based and you cannot move them from car to car. With a hard case K-TAG, you can easily move it between vehicles. There is an initial one time charge for the hard case K-TAG (whereas the sticker K-TAG is free) but it is worth it considering you can free yourself of having to use PlatePass on a Texas rental.

I also recommend getting a portable hard case North Carolina QuickPass transponder. It works at all E-ZPass facilities, in the Georgia PeachPass express lanes in the Atlanta region and at all toll facilities in Florida (SunPass, LeeWay, E-Pass).

Details: www.myncquickpass.com

Thanks again, SunPass!

A TX Toll-Tag is already en route. I was gonna try and semi-permanently affix it to the windshield, like maybe putting a thin layer of Saran Wrap between the sticker and the windshield.

Either way, I'm going to order the K-Tag. Good to have a backup in case I mess up the Toll-Tag sticker.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: Southwest
The TXTag (TollTag, E-ZTag) sticker must be affixed to the windshield to work. Some claim that they are able to register tolls by scotch taping around the perimeter of the tag to the windshield.

I would just rather go with the K-TAG hardcase.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:09 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sunpass
The TXTag (TollTag, E-ZTag) sticker must be affixed to the windshield to work. Some claim that they are able to register tolls by scotch taping around the perimeter of the tag to the windshield.

I would just rather go with the K-TAG hardcase.

K-Tag is on the way. Time to cut out the overcharging PP middleman.

Thanks again for the heads up!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:31 am

Just got back from TX.

Before heading out of DFW, I assigned the K-Tag transponder to the Hz car's plate#.

It took until the next day for toll charges to start showing up on my K-Tag account.

So far, 5 days of mainly driving in Dallas (NTTA) and a couple toll roads in Houston (HCTRA) comes to just under $18 in tolls.

Only one toll charge showed up for yesterday, but there probably should've been a couple more. I deleted the rental's plate# from the K-Tag website right after returning the car to DFW. Hope I didn't delete it too soon while tolls were still being processed.

Somehow, I keep thinking these PlatePass clowns will try something funny business. I'll keep a closer eye on my CC statements for the next few months. If there's any double-billing, or billing at all, they'll be getting a quick phone call.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by radiolarian
Somehow, I keep thinking these PlatePass clowns will try something funny business. I'll keep a closer eye on my CC statements for the next few months. If there's any double-billing, or billing at all, they'll be getting a quick phone call.
I don't get why people have so much trouble understanding this...

If you get charged by PlatePass, then it's won't be PlatePass's fault. It'll be either yours, or possibly K-Tag.

The ONLY way that PlatePass will know to charge you anything is if the tolling authority charges them for one of your tolls. If they get charged, then clearly they are going to pass that charge (with their overheads) onto you. You can complain all you want about how much PlatePass charges you, but blaming them for a charge in the first place make zero sense at all. There's no "funny business" on their behalf if they charge you - just their stated business model.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by docbert
If you get charged by PlatePass, then it's won't be PlatePass's fault. It'll be either yours, or possibly K-Tag.
I need to disagree with you on this; I have been charged in error by PlatePass at least twice for tolls that I didn't incur in the NYC area and so have others - How to dispute PlatePass toll charge in error?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I need to disagree with you on this; I have been charged in error by PlatePass at least twice for tolls that I didn't incur in the NYC area and so have others - How to dispute PlatePass toll charge in error?
Completely different situation. The context of my reply was regarding being charged for a toll via PlatePass rather than via the account the poster had setup with K-Tag. That can never be PlatePass's fault.

PlatePass charging for a toll that didn't occur is a different story, and one that could be any number of peoples fault (eg, Hertz's for putting the wrong transponder in the car, the tolling company for misreading the number plate, PlatePass's for screwing up the reconciliation with the rental records, etc).
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
I don't get why people have so much trouble understanding this...

The ONLY way that PlatePass will know to charge you anything is if the tolling authority charges them for one of your tolls. If they get charged, then clearly they are going to pass that charge (with their overheads) onto you. You can complain all you want about how much PlatePass charges you, but blaming them for a charge in the first place make zero sense at all. There's no "funny business" on their behalf if they charge you - just their stated business model.
When you're dealing with unethical companies, PP/ATS, anything is possible. And their stated business model with no "FUNNY BUSINESS" has resulted in multiple lawsuits. Since you appear to be a big PP cheerleader, I'm sure you know all about those.

In regards to your first question, try not to lose too much sleep over that.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Southwest
Just got back from TX.

Before heading out of DFW, I assigned the K-Tag transponder to the Hz car's plate#.

It took until the next day for toll charges to start showing up on my K-Tag account.

So far, 5 days of mainly driving in Dallas (NTTA) and a couple toll roads in Houston (HCTRA) comes to just under $18 in tolls.

Only one toll charge showed up for yesterday, but there probably should've been a couple more. I deleted the rental's plate# from the K-Tag website right after returning the car to DFW. Hope I didn't delete it too soon while tolls were still being processed.

I managed to get about $12 of tolls charged successfully to my K-TAG portable in the DFW area in a rental car last year. All transponder reads. Some times these inter-agency tolls take time to transfer and post to an account.

In August 2017, I went on a midwest solar eclipse trip through OK, MO and KS. I rented from Hertz in OKC and put my brand new K-TAG portable up on the windshield. It did pay all tolls on the Kansas Turnpike, but none of the toll transactions on the Oklahoma Turnpike system ever posted to my account.

It was odd as I had driven through not only the open road tolls but also the side ramp tolls and received either a green signal or "PikePass thanks you" confirmation light each time. Never received any bill from PlatePass either, the tolls just got lost in translation in Oklahoma I guess.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:08 am

Has anyone ever used the EZ Tag Express app in Texas?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 25, 2019 at 4:15 am Reason: question better asked in this thread
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:30 pm

Dollar in Austin tried to scare me int using their toll tag when I have my own. "Our cars are all registered to our account.:" Thanks, but... no!

That's because Dollar in Austin is a franchise. Like some other licensee stores, they accept one-ways, but don't let you book them. So the counter agent probably knows exactly what's in their own specific cars used for roundtrips.

Just for fun, if you ever go to a transition zone like CLT, look at the windshields. Cars with local plates (NC, SC, GA) usually have nothing. Many (from VA on north, + IL) have EZPass. Several have SunPass, but not as dominating the lot as DC to ME after the FL driveout. A few have TxTag.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 5:02 am

When I drove on toll-roads in TX, I phoned up PlatePass for details about the bill. They were able to pull up the details right away.

Now, I avoid PlatePass all together in TX by carrying my own K-Tag transponder.
I had not heard of the K-Tag. It looks like they make a portable version but I can't find any pictures of it. Do you happen to have one?
Old Nov 13, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by m907
I had not heard of the K-Tag. It looks like they make a portable version but I can't find any pictures of it. Do you happen to have one?
You can only see it after you are logged into K-Tag.

m907 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by m907
Pretty cool. Get your rental car, suction cup the transponder the windshield, add the license plate to your K-Tag account, and drive away. It’s ready to go immediately.

Just don’t forget to grab your transponder and delete the license plate from your account when you return the car. I always put a note in the cup holder, “Remove K-Tag.”

m907 likes this.

Last edited by radiolarian; Nov 13, 2020 at 4:01 pm
Old Nov 13, 2020, 4:26 pm

Pretty cool. Get your rental car, suction cup the transponder the windshield, add the license plate to your K-Tag account, and drive away. It’s ready to go immediately.
Very helpful - thanks!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 13, 2020 at 6:00 pm Reason: removed images from quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.