Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz PlatePass (States that Use E-Z Pass) Thread

Hertz PlatePass (States that Use E-Z Pass) Thread

Old Sep 15, 18, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by radiolarian View Post

Thanks for the great information. Didn't know about the K-Tag.

Do you know if the TX toll-tags work in the same manner for Hz rentals, and supersede PlatePass billing?

Recent data on this one is hard to find.

I'll probably just order the K-Tag, so I can test out both.
The TX-Tag would supersede the PlatePass billing as it would be a transponder read prior to going to photo tolling (sans transponder).

The problem is that all of the tags issued by the various Texas authorities are sticker-based and you cannot move them from car to car. With a hard case K-TAG, you can easily move it between vehicles. There is an initial one time charge for the hard case K-TAG (whereas the sticker K-TAG is free) but it is worth it considering you can free yourself of having to use PlatePass on a Texas rental.

I also recommend getting a portable hard case North Carolina QuickPass transponder. It works at all E-ZPass facilities, in the Georgia PeachPass express lanes in the Atlanta region and at all toll facilities in Florida (SunPass, LeeWay, E-Pass).

Details: www.myncquickpass.com

Old Sep 15, 18, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by sunpass View Post

The TX-Tag would supersede the PlatePass billing as it would be a transponder read prior to going to photo tolling (sans transponder).

The problem is that all of the tags issued by the various Texas authorities are sticker-based and you cannot move them from car to car. With a hard case K-TAG, you can easily move it between vehicles. There is an initial one time charge for the hard case K-TAG (whereas the sticker K-TAG is free) but it is worth it considering you can free yourself of having to use PlatePass on a Texas rental.

I also recommend getting a portable hard case North Carolina QuickPass transponder. It works at all E-ZPass facilities, in the Georgia PeachPass express lanes in the Atlanta region and at all toll facilities in Florida (SunPass, LeeWay, E-Pass).

Thanks again, SunPass!

A TX Toll-Tag is already en route. I was gonna try and semi-permanently affix it to the windshield, like maybe putting a thin layer of Saran Wrap between the sticker and the windshield.

Either way, I'm going to order the K-Tag. Good to have a backup in case I mess up the Toll-Tag sticker.
Old Sep 15, 18, 9:05 pm

The TXTag (TollTag, E-ZTag) sticker must be affixed to the windshield to work. Some claim that they are able to register tolls by scotch taping around the perimeter of the tag to the windshield.

I would just rather go with the K-TAG hardcase.
Old Sep 20, 18, 5:09 pm

Thumbs up

The TXTag (TollTag, E-ZTag) sticker must be affixed to the windshield to work. Some claim that they are able to register tolls by scotch taping around the perimeter of the tag to the windshield.

I would just rather go with the K-TAG hardcase.

K-Tag is on the way. Time to cut out the overcharging PP middleman.

Thanks again for the heads up!
Old Sep 21, 18, 3:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA Gold, Accor, Honors Diamond and lots more....

site blocked
Old Sep 21, 18, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
site blocked
It works fine fr me - and redirects to this URL: https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/home/index.shtml
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:22 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro, UA ex-?; Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), Hyatt ex-?
Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
site blocked
I suspect you're in the UK.

NY ez-pass blocks connections to their website from non-US; I wonder if that is what is happening here too? I don't have a good solution other than a VPN to the USA.

Last edited by stc; Sep 30, 18 at 3:41 am
Old Oct 28, 18, 9:31 am

Just got back from TX.

Before heading out of DFW, I assigned the K-Tag transponder to the Hz car's plate#.

It took until the next day for toll charges to start showing up on my K-Tag account.

So far, 5 days of mainly driving in Dallas (NTTA) and a couple toll roads in Houston (HCTRA) comes to just under $18 in tolls.

Only one toll charge showed up for yesterday, but there probably should've been a couple more. I deleted the rental's plate# from the K-Tag website right after returning the car to DFW. Hope I didn't delete it too soon while tolls were still being processed.

Somehow, I keep thinking these PlatePass clowns will try something funny business. I'll keep a closer eye on my CC statements for the next few months. If there's any double-billing, or billing at all, they'll be getting a quick phone call.
Old Oct 28, 18, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Somehow, I keep thinking these PlatePass clowns will try something funny business. I'll keep a closer eye on my CC statements for the next few months. If there's any double-billing, or billing at all, they'll be getting a quick phone call.
I don't get why people have so much trouble understanding this...

If you get charged by PlatePass, then it's won't be PlatePass's fault. It'll be either yours, or possibly K-Tag.

The ONLY way that PlatePass will know to charge you anything is if the tolling authority charges them for one of your tolls. If they get charged, then clearly they are going to pass that charge (with their overheads) onto you. You can complain all you want about how much PlatePass charges you, but blaming them for a charge in the first place make zero sense at all. There's no "funny business" on their behalf if they charge you - just their stated business model.
Old Oct 28, 18, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, M life, and Hertz
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
If you get charged by PlatePass, then it's won't be PlatePass's fault. It'll be either yours, or possibly K-Tag.
I need to disagree with you on this; I have been charged in error by PlatePass at least twice for tolls that I didn't incur in the NYC area and so have others - How to dispute PlatePass toll charge in error?
Old Oct 28, 18, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
I need to disagree with you on this; I have been charged in error by PlatePass at least twice for tolls that I didn't incur in the NYC area and so have others - How to dispute PlatePass toll charge in error?
Completely different situation. The context of my reply was regarding being charged for a toll via PlatePass rather than via the account the poster had setup with K-Tag. That can never be PlatePass's fault.

PlatePass charging for a toll that didn't occur is a different story, and one that could be any number of peoples fault (eg, Hertz's for putting the wrong transponder in the car, the tolling company for misreading the number plate, PlatePass's for screwing up the reconciliation with the rental records, etc).
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Oct 28, 18, 5:51 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, M life, and Hertz
OK, I see what you are saying; sorry for not getting that the first time.

I was driving a Jaguar XE and got nicked for PlatePass even though I have my own EZ-Pass which was mounted under the rear mirror. Apparently, this is a known issue due to the metal oxide used for that model. So, yes, it was my fault and something I need to keep in mind the next time I rent one.

That being said, I still check my EZ-Pass/SunPass/FasTrak/etc. account whenever I use my own transponder to make sure my device was read and have the evidence I need in case of a double charge.
Old Oct 28, 18, 11:23 pm

I don't get why people have so much trouble understanding this...

The ONLY way that PlatePass will know to charge you anything is if the tolling authority charges them for one of your tolls. If they get charged, then clearly they are going to pass that charge (with their overheads) onto you. You can complain all you want about how much PlatePass charges you, but blaming them for a charge in the first place make zero sense at all. There's no "funny business" on their behalf if they charge you - just their stated business model.
When you're dealing with unethical companies, PP/ATS, anything is possible. And their stated business model with no "FUNNY BUSINESS" has resulted in multiple lawsuits. Since you appear to be a big PP cheerleader, I'm sure you know all about those.

In regards to your first question, try not to lose too much sleep over that.
Old Oct 29, 18, 12:11 am

When you're dealing with unethical companies, PP/ATS, anything is possible. And their stated business model with no "FUNNY BUSINESS" has resulted in multiple lawsuits. Since you appear to be a big PP cheerleader, I'm sure you know all about those.
I'm in no way a PlatePass cheerleader, although I do think Hertz also shares a reasonable portion of the blame regarding communication. I explicitly do everything possible to avoid paying PlatePass a single cent, including more than once in Florida renting from companies other than Hertz in order to avoid them.

That said, I do think their recent changes have improved thing. Paying only on days you actually have a toll is a huge step forward (especially for rentals around the SF Bay Area, as tourist will frequently only have a toll on one day of a week long rental due to crossing the Golden Gate Bridge which has no cash lanes), although the removal of the per-rental cap is rather unfriendly. Hertz in some areas also seems to be doing a much better job of notification - every vehicle I've rented from an airport in the bay area for the past 6+ months has had a piece of paper in it describing the fees, and I've seen the same elsewhere too.

My point above was that things like double-charging, being charged via PlatePass when you paid cash, personal transponders not working, etc are not in any way the fault of PlatePass. They only know about a transaction if the toll company tells them - they clearly have no way to know it's an incorrect charge. PlatePass deserves a lot of flack, as do Hertz around communication of charges - just not for these *specific* items.
Old Dec 9, 18, 4:01 pm

In general, Hertz do not use transponders. (There are a few states where they do, but VA isn't one of them).

They instead rely on the video-based license plate detection use the toll roads. If your toll is paid by some other means (cash, your own transponder, etc) then the license plate will not be charged, and thus you won't be charged anything by Hertz/Platepass. If you pass through without paying, your license plate photo is taken, which goes to Hertz/Platepass, who then pass it on with the additional fee.
They do use transponders still in MA.

I just forgot to slide the transponder out of the box before going through the Ted Williams tunnel. Will it automatically go to platepass with the normal fees or is there some penalty? I didn't see a way to pay online, but I'm browsing on my phone. If I have the transponder out for the return trip will it take today as a bad read and go by the plate? I'd be happy to go pay online to avoid a penalty fee.

ETA: It looks like this post (below) that I missed while reading on my phone almost answers the question, but can anybody confirm it?

Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
I was told by a Hertz counter agent that all of their cars in the Northeast are now eligible to use E-Z Pass lanes even without a transponder in the vehicle. I had a new (<3k miles) Hertz car without a transponder and used a bunch of EZPass lanes on various Turnpikes in the Northeast. Hertz's website seems to indicate that only transponder-equipped cars can use cashless lanes in the Northeast and Illinois. Who is right?

A couple of days after my rental return, there's no PlatePass receipt available under my rental record number. Should I be worried?

Perhaps my question was better suited to this thread:

Can ANY Hertz car now be used with PlatePass in the Northeast? Even Hertz cars without transponders? I was given a car without a transponder and the counter agent assured me that no transponder is required anymore and Hertz has stopped equipping new cars with them.

Last edited by chrisl137; Dec 9, 18 at 6:04 pm

Search this Thread