Wiki Posts
Search

Car damaged, how long to get bill?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Car damaged, how long to get bill?

My rental car was damaged some two months ago... I filed a claim with Amex premium rental insurance. They said they still have not received an estimate of damages so they are closing my claim.

Problem is I still haven't received an estimate of damages and I need the claim since I had a backpack stolen with a laptop among other stuff inside.

Is it normal that I haven't heard anything from hertz?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What did Hertz say when you called?

As to the backpack, there is no reason why Amex cannot pay the claim due to you immediately.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alphaod
.......Is it normal that I haven't heard anything from hertz?
Hertz is very slowing in damage claim processing. It took about six months for a rental in IAH for me.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I damaged a Hertz car out of LAX a few years ago. I was surprised how quickly it was processed--not lightning quick, but I'm pretty sure I had a demand letter (IIRC from Viking Subrogation or something) within about a month or a month and a half after rental. I forwarded the letter on to American Express and heard nothing more about it.

At the location I worked, cars were taken to the body shop for estimates within 2-3 days at most, and we tended to have demand letters out to the customer within a week or two and never more than a month. (The cars were usually repaired within a week of the estimate, too, unless the body shop had to wait on parts.) I can't figure out why some companies take so long to get stuff processed--the sooner everything is done, the better our cashflow and the more likely we were to successfully get payment from the customer.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
I've found that the trick is to dispute the charge. I've had the occasional chipped windshield and Hertz then adds about $150 to the rental as a damages fee. when you open an insurance claim Hertz never responds with the requested info. so, AmEx insurance tells you - no response from Hertz so we're closing the case. But, if you dispute the charge with AmEx, then Hertz will respond to AmEx to prove the validity of the charge. Then AmEx will send that proof to you (usually, proof of a repair). If you then send that to the AmEx insurance folks they will pay AmEx for the charge. Is that stupidly complicated and repetitive - yes. But I haven't found a better way to make the AmEx system work.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

The personal loss of my backpack with computer and stuff delays probably my own fault. Since Amex Premium Rental Insurance for personal loss is secondary I was suppose to submit an affidavit that my homeowner's insurance does not cover personal loss and I never got around to getting that signed with a notary since I've been away for work for the last two months, not to mention some of the receipts I lost, the store would not give me a replacement receipt over the phone I had to get those all in person.

As for Hertz, after speaking to about five different people in different departments I was able to get to the final guy handing the billing. They were all very easy to talk to, and the last guy said that the system did not show an amount had been registered in the system for an invoice to be issued to me, but he would push for it to be done ASAP and I would get it by email.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:12 pm

I had a car broken into last August and it took about a month to get a bill for the broken window. I paid the bill and got reimbursed by Chase Sapphire Preferred insurance. A few months later Hertz called me saying I hadn't paid yet! I told them to double check and call me back if they couldn't find it. I never heard back, so I guess they found the record.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Shortly after contacting the right individual, they sent me the bill which has now been paid. Now I'm just waiting for Amex to pay for the lost items. I think this will take a while. I kept a lot of stuff in the backpack.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:19 am

A personal data point for mine- returned a car with damage in SYD, and everything was completely processed and done only 4 days later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.