Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at ANC; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Jan 20, 18, 11:23 am
Original Poster

I'll be in Anchorage this July and am just about to book a rental.

Does anyone have an idea of the vehicles that are generally available there for full size (Group F), and standard SUV (Group L)?

Thanks

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 21, 18 at 3:37 pm Reason: edited title to match unified standard for this forum
Old Jan 21, 18, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by Harok View Post
I'll be in Anchorage this July and am just about to book a rental.

Does anyone have an idea of the vehicles that are generally available there for full size (Group F), and standard SUV (Group L)?

Thanks
Here's what I've gotten over the last couple of years from Hertz ANC, mostly on FCAR reservations as a Hertz PC, in order of newest to oldest:

Dodge Journey
Chevy Impala
Chevy Malibu
Nissan Pathfinder
Toyota Camry
Toyota Camry
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Dodge Durango
Toyota Camry
Toyota Camry
Ford Escape
Old Aug 30, 18, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No hotel loyalty anymore
Side question - does ANC have a proper Gold pickup near the cars or do you have to stop by the counter in the rental car center if Gold?
Old Sep 3, 18, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by NickP 1K View Post
Side question - does ANC have a proper Gold pickup near the cars or do you have to stop by the counter in the rental car center if Gold?
Nope. The garage is too small for each individual car rental company to have gated access to their portion of the lot (and a few companies are even split up on multiple floors). Without gated access, they can't leave keys in cars, and without that, it's not possible to add Gold Canopy service.

There's no Gold kiosk outside, either--and, in fact, my experience has been that even Hertz's return row kiosk is literally never staffed.

You will have to stop by the counter. They do have a dedicated Gold line, and in my experience, they are fairly good about pre-doing the contract and having the paperwork and keys already prepared and sitting on the shelf ready to go.
Old Sep 4, 18, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No hotel loyalty anymore
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Nope. The garage is too small for each individual car rental company to have gated access to their portion of the lot (and a few companies are even split up on multiple floors). Without gated access, they can't leave keys in cars, and without that, it's not possible to add Gold Canopy service.

There's no Gold kiosk outside, either--and, in fact, my experience has been that even Hertz's return row kiosk is literally never staffed.

You will have to stop by the counter. They do have a dedicated Gold line, and in my experience, they are fairly good about pre-doing the contract and having the paperwork and keys already prepared and sitting on the shelf ready to go.
Awesome - thanks - is it even worth at this location doing an F group or just do a C and as a PC get an upgrade. Feel like booking an F is a bit of a waste. Is this location good on the one bump up on PC renting a C group.
Old Sep 4, 18, 1:58 pm

Awesome - thanks - is it even worth at this location doing an F group or just do a C and as a PC get an upgrade. Feel like booking an F is a bit of a waste and many locations. Is this location good on the one bump up on PC renting a C group.
Old Sep 4, 18, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickP 1K View Post
Awesome - thanks - is it even worth at this location doing an F group or just do a C and as a PC get an upgrade. Feel like booking an F is a bit of a waste. Is this location good on the one bump up on PC renting a C group.
Most of my Hertz rentals in ANC are from downtown (saves a good chunk off of airport taxes, and with family there, it's not hard to avoid picking up at the airport). I logged what I have gotten in ANC up in post #2 of this thread. I suspect half the upgrades to the SUVs, etc. have been simply that they were out of my reserved FCAR at the downtown office, so I have no idea if it's actually typical for a PC member.

As a PC, your upgrade is (supposedly) guaranteed, not space available, so I don't think you have any reason to pay for the bigger car. My experience with Hertz in ANC (both off and on airport) has been that they're reasonably friendly and competent, so I wouldn't guess you'll have any trouble with them.
Old Sep 4, 18, 2:27 pm

Most of my Hertz rentals in ANC are from downtown (saves a good chunk off of airport taxes, and with family there, it's not hard to avoid picking up at the airport). I logged what I have gotten in ANC up in post #2 of this thread. I suspect half the upgrades to the SUVs, etc. have been simply that they were out of my reserved FCAR at the downtown office, so I have no idea if it's actually typical for a PC member.

As a PC, your upgrade is (supposedly) guaranteed, not space available, so I don't think you have any reason to pay for the bigger car. My experience with Hertz in ANC (both off and on airport) has been that they're reasonably friendly and competent, so I wouldn't guess you'll have any trouble with them.
Thanks - will post back my results on the cars I get vs what I see on the lot tomorrow

Yeah - that $49 PFC + $15 or so Airport Concession Fee is nuts
Old Sep 9, 18, 3:59 am

We made a reservation for june 2019 for a small pick up truck beacause the prices are sky high at the moment. Yesterday the prices for a midsize suv reached up to 2200 usd ! The small suv ( catogery O6) was 501 usd for 18 days. I hope they can give us an upgrade to midsize or Standard suv beacause we have a 5 star gold membership but when end up with a small pick up thant that would be fine.Does anybody have experiances with this catogery of car at Anchorage?
Old Sep 10, 18, 7:13 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Dutchy89 View Post
We made a reservation for june 2019 for a small pick up truck beacause the prices are sky high at the moment. Yesterday the prices for a midsize suv reached up to 2200 usd ! The small suv ( catogery O6) was 501 usd for 18 days. I hope they can give us an upgrade to midsize or Standard suv beacause we have a 5 star gold membership but when end up with a small pick up thant that would be fine.Does anybody have experiances with this catogery of car at Anchorage?
Check often, likely the price will come down.
Old Sep 13, 18, 5:22 pm

Rented last week - pickup 9/5 at 7PM - NO cars. None, not even a B group. Saw cars in the return lane and asked how quick they can turnaround. Was me (President's circle), one Five Star and 3 other renters at the counter. Finally we were asked could we take an unwashed/uncleaned/empty fuel cars. Now considering this location had 3 people on duty I didn't get why they couldn't quick prep 5 cards considering other smaller Hertz locations do this in a FLASH. Suffice to say left with a Dodge Durango, DIRTY inside and out. The car had major braking issues as well. Came back in the AM and asked for a swap out - after talking to the local team they gave me a 2017 Explorer with 34K Miles (The Dodge was similar).

Local team said they've been about 20-50 cars short the whole summer. Why was that location not given liberty to have their Ford, Chrysler or other agreements pull cars from a local dealer like local editions do.

Not impressed with this location - and in all honesty the Explorer we got as "Clean" the following morning was pretty bad. Took it for a wash and a clean as this was home for 1 week when on the road. I likely returned it CLEANER than it's ever been in the Hertz ANC fleet. Also what is with the carpet floor mats with the Alaska conditions. Rented out of cold wether locations like Helsinki, Oslo, etc and never been given carpet mats on a car once they hit the first winter.
Old May 17, 19, 8:46 am

I still have my reservation for a small pick up or simular in the O6 catogery.
Any idea's what to expect in this catogery at Anchorage airport?
The prices are still sky high! Like i said, i'm hoping for something better with my 5 star gold status but if it turns out to be a pick up as mentioned above, it will be fine for me.
Old Sep 18, 19, 11:50 am

Premium Car - Chrysler 300 S
Very powerful and spacious

Search this Thread
Search Engine: