Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at RSW (Fort Myers, FL); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at RSW (Fort Myers, FL); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Jan 13, 18, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTG, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

I didnít see an existing thread for Ft Meyers but Iím going end of March and would like a minivan but website says sold out. We go every year for spring break and never had a problem getting a minivan as they always had tons available. Now that they have UC, wondering if I could acquire one that way.
Old Jan 13, 18, 9:07 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

It's uncommon to find a Minivan in UC in general. I would think it would be highly unlikely to find one if the location is sold out. A few suggestions:

1. Keep searching each day. Sometimes availability opens up, often for a short period, and you may be able to catch something if you are diligent.
2. Check Fullsize SUVs and some of the specialty vehicles that hold 7+ passengers. You may find something else that meets your needs.
3. Obviously, check other companies. I know you are Hertz PC, and would prefer renting with them, but always good to have a backup in case that doesn't meet your needs.
Old Jan 13, 18, 10:37 pm

I have actually seen minivans at UC, usually from the 5* or PC sections. Nissan Quest or Kia Sedona usually. But things vary by location, of course.
Old Jan 13, 18, 10:40 pm

I too have seen them from time to time in various locations. My main point to the OP was that if he is counting on one being there he may be disappointed.
m907 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 18, 9:29 am
Original Poster

I have a QX 80 reserved at Hertz ($540/week which I thought was pretty good) and a minivan at National so I’m covered. Was just hoping to use points @ Hertz to pay for a minivan. I may just make a second reservation for an F @ Hertz using points and make a final decision once I get there. last year, they let me upgrade from F to a minivan for $15/day.
Old Jan 19, 18, 10:23 am
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by ALARISstl View Post
I have a QX 80 reserved at Hertz ($540/week which I thought was pretty good) and a minivan at National so I’m covered. Was just hoping to use points @ Hertz to pay for a minivan. I may just make a second reservation for an F @ Hertz using points and make a final decision once I get there. last year, they let me upgrade from F to a minivan for $15/day.
Note that points rentals are non-changeable within 24 hours of pick-up. (You also cannot make a points reservation within 24 hours of pick-up, so you can't hold off and quickly make a points reservation while standing in the garage once you go in and verify there is a van sitting there.)

FWIW, I have never seen a van in UC, so I wouldn't count on it. Largest I've ever personally seen was an SFAR (Jeep Cherokee).
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Jan 19, 18, 11:38 am

Good point by Jackal regarding points reservations. I have seen minivans and large SUVs in UC but they are few and far between. I certainly would not count on it.

Additionally, if you're going to play UC roulette, there's no point in booking a fullsize car (unless it's less than an intermediate) as you get the same choice with a booking for either class.
Old Jan 28, 20, 4:00 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premiere, United Premiere, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Ultimate Choice selection at RSW

anyone have any experience with Ultimate Choice President's Club selection at RSW? Thanks.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 28, 20 at 4:12 pm Reason: Merged with existing thread
Old Feb 20, 20, 8:33 am

since this seems to be one of the lesser active threads of this kind so I figured I might as well ask if anyone has an updated opinion on the chances at RSW.
I have two bookings coming up around easter:
1st I will be picking up a V4 on March 28th around 8pm.
2nd I will swap that for a FCAR on April 3rd at 9pm because I will return to TPA and V4 is not available as one way rental.

My two questions are:
does anyone know the inventory of V4 at RSW?
Out of the threee options in that class I am sure I would enjoy every single one but I'd preferr the challenger.
We are traveling with two adults and a seven year old so the camaro might not take all the luggage and the mustang is becoming so common in my home country that it almost seems like a boring option.
I have read that there used to be Challenger Scatpack with the 6.3 Liter engine in the fleet. Is that still a thing?

for the second part of the trip I booked the FCAR because it is what we need and it was cheap enough.
I am hoping to find something with adaptive cruise and lane assist (hello toyota) or if that is not an option an intermediate SUV would be nice.
I only have gold status so I am wondering how my chances are to find something in UC.
Old Mar 5, 20, 11:33 am

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hilton Gold, BW&WR Diamond
Originally Posted by Ierwin View Post
since this seems to be one of the lesser active threads of this kind so I figured I might as well ask if anyone has an updated opinion on the chances at RSW.
I have two bookings coming up around easter:
1st I will be picking up a V4 on March 28th around 8pm.
2nd I will swap that for a FCAR on April 3rd at 9pm because I will return to TPA and V4 is not available as one way rental.

My two questions are:
does anyone know the inventory of V4 at RSW?
Out of the threee options in that class I am sure I would enjoy every single one but I'd preferr the challenger.
We are traveling with two adults and a seven year old so the camaro might not take all the luggage and the mustang is becoming so common in my home country that it almost seems like a boring option.
I have read that there used to be Challenger Scatpack with the 6.3 Liter engine in the fleet. Is that still a thing?

for the second part of the trip I booked the FCAR because it is what we need and it was cheap enough.
I am hoping to find something with adaptive cruise and lane assist (hello toyota) or if that is not an option an intermediate SUV would be nice.
I only have gold status so I am wondering how my chances are to find something in UC.

I will be picking up at RSW on 04/02. I usually have the opposite issue if I'm looking to book a v4...I DON"T want a challenger lol. Though I must say, I've had Charger RT's and they can be fun rentals (if need good luggage/seating capacity).
Old Mar 10, 20, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Thought I’d check, headed there Sun am. Any recent experiences with PC UC?
Old Mar 10, 20, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hilton Gold, BW&WR Diamond
Originally Posted by ALARISstl View Post
Thought Iíd check, headed there Sun am. Any recent experiences with PC UC?
Interested as well. It would be appreciated if you could report back what the selection looks like..pictures would be awesome! I'll be there in a few weeks.
Old Mar 21, 20, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Interested as well. It would be appreciated if you could report back what the selection looks like..pictures would be awesome! I'll be there in a few weeks.
So, I was there on 3/15 @ 9am and selection was pretty sad. No minivans or large SUVs. There was mostly Altima, Malibu, a Kia Sorrento, Nissan Rouge and a tired 300 with 40K miles. The best they had was a Chevy Blazer with 3K miles which I took. 5* was about the same. Each section only has about 20 spaces. Plenty of upgrades though, Range Rovers, Porches, the new Hertz Camero, MBs etc...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: