Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

why is CDW included when booking on Hertz' UK website but not on US site?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA

I was looking for SUVs for a couple of US locations using Hertz's UK website.(was travelling in the UK at the time) It seemed like all the rates included CDW as part of the rate.

When I came back a few days ago, I looked again on the Hertz US website. Obviously the rates don't include CDW... however, it was somewhat surprising to me that the rates that included CDW on the UK sites are almost always lower than the rates that didn't CDW on the US site. I thought I was imagining it, so I opened another incognito browser page and checked the Hertz UK site age... sure enough, I was right... the UK site was much cheaper and had the CDW included as a bonus.

So my question is this... can I, as a US citizen with a US state-issued driver's license, living in the US, book a car reservation for a US location, viz Hertz's UK website?

THanks!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is nothing that Hertz lists anywhere that you cannot do so
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is nothing that Hertz lists anywhere that you cannot do so
I assume there's nothing that prevents one from booking on whichever Hertz site that has the lowest rates...

However, my only concern is that the CDW is included in the rate on the UK site. what if there's some sort of fine print somewhere that says the included CDW claims won't be honored for US residents when booking on the UK site for a LAX rental? something like that probably won't be revealed unless one actually files a CDW claim with Hertz...
cestmoi123 and trooper like this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by geometry
I assume there's nothing that prevents one from booking on whichever Hertz site that has the lowest rates...

However, my only concern is that the CDW is included in the rate on the UK site. what if there's some sort of fine print somewhere that says the included CDW claims won't be honored for US residents when booking on the UK site for a LAX rental? something like that probably won't be revealed unless one actually files a CDW claim with Hertz...
I would not be concerned
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
This has long been speculated to be the case here, and I have never seen any specific verbiage with Hertz restricting those bookings to non-US residents, so it's worth a try. You can be the guinea pig and report back here if it works.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Gold (1mm) , Hilton Diamond, Aer Lingus Newbie
I don't rent much in the US - but CDW on European rentals come with eye watering excess charges (e.g. you are responsible for the first GBP 1,000 of damage). All a ploy to make you buy SuperCover.

You might want to check what the this CDW doesn't cover.

A pet peeve of mine has been the fact that until recently most rentals in the UK/Ireland came without CDW included (I think you had to prove insurance if you didn't take CDW). Now with the rise of "Super Credit Cards" that cover insurance (e.g. Chase Sapphire Reserve) the rental companies were getting nothing extra. So all of a sudden CDW starts being included in the base rental as a separate line item - this invalidates your CC coverage and forces you again be responsible for the large excess or take SuperCover. I'm kind of surprised they haven't cottoned on to this in the US market.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jackal
This has long been speculated to be the case here, and I have never seen any specific verbiage with Hertz restricting those bookings to non-US residents, so it's worth a try. You can be the guinea pig and report back here if it works.
But to really confirm whether CDW is in effect, OP have to damage the vehicle.

Perhaps OP should rent one from Hertz UK and Avis UK sites, drive one vehicle into the other, go thru the claims process for both and report back the results.

Last edited by seawolf; Jan 10, 2018 at 4:44 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by NYScot
I don't rent much in the US - but CDW on European rentals come with eye watering excess charges (e.g. you are responsible for the first GBP 1,000 of damage). All a ploy to make you buy SuperCover.

You might want to check what the this CDW doesn't cover.

A pet peeve of mine has been the fact that until recently most rentals in the UK/Ireland came without CDW included (I think you had to prove insurance if you didn't take CDW). Now with the rise of "Super Credit Cards" that cover insurance (e.g. Chase Sapphire Reserve) the rental companies were getting nothing extra. So all of a sudden CDW starts being included in the base rental as a separate line item - this invalidates your CC coverage and forces you again be responsible for the large excess or take SuperCover. I'm kind of surprised they haven't cottoned on to this in the US market.
Booked in the UK, the US Hertz rentals have a low price and include LDW, LIS and TP - there is no excess to pay

The use of term CDW is incorrect

CDW means that liability is down to around GBP800 ime and in UK made bookings any decent rate I have found includes it - to call that mouth watering compared to the full value of vehicle that is standard when booking on US site for a US rental seems slightly risible
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:23 pm

I assumed the Euro based/booked rentals included CDW/LDW because "local" credit cards did NOT provide the coverage that most (?) Americans seem to get by other means (local insurance policy on their own car, credit card, whatever) As an Aussie that is most certainly the case..my CCs provide nothing. I book those all inclusive rates through Euro consolidators for that simple reason. Excess? Covered by standard travel insurance policies purchased here.....
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Reason CDW is included is none of the above, but it’s actually a legal requirement. When cars are hired here the must must have the below 3 protections
  • Third-party liability
  • Collision Damage Waiver (or Loss Damage Waiver)
  • Theft Protection
This is why it always shows and why we don’t need the credit card coverage, it also explains why the companies do the super cover to make the extra income
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
I assumed the Euro based/booked rentals included CDW/LDW because "local" credit cards did NOT provide the coverage that most (?) Americans seem to get by other means (local insurance policy on their own car, credit card, whatever) As an Aussie that is most certainly the case..my CCs provide nothing. I book those all inclusive rates through Euro consolidators for that simple reason. Excess? Covered by standard travel insurance policies purchased here.....
Many travel insurances offered in Australia only offer very limited car rental coverage to a few thousand dollars and are completely inadequate to replace LDW in USA

Originally Posted by aidy
Reason CDW is included is none of the above, but it’s actually a legal requirement. When cars are hired here the must must have the below 3 protections
  • Third-party liability
  • Collision Damage Waiver (or Loss Damage Waiver)
  • Theft Protection
This is why it always shows and why we don’t need the credit card coverage, it also explains why the companies do the super cover to make the extra income

This is not true.
The only item that is mandatory for UK rentals is third party insurance

Just go to USA site and make a booking for UK and will see

Included
Vehicle Licensing Fee and Road Tax
Location Service Charge

For a dummy booking
On USA Site I get a rate of 57.64 USD plus tax( total 69.16 USD) for a group B Vauxhall Corsa with only those included
On UK site I get a rate 57.97 GBP ( approc 78 USD ) for same vehicle but also with TP and CDW included

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 10, 2018 at 10:15 pm
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:50 pm

[QUOTE=Dave Noble;29277576]Many travel insurances offered in Australia only offer very limited car rental coverage to a few thousand dollars and are completely inadequate to replace LDW in USA

They are completely inadequate yes...because they were never meant to replace CDW/LDW. Nor did I suggest or imply that they did.... I specified that my Travel Insurance covered the EXCESS. Not that it replaced CDW/LDW in any way....was that not clear? I think we have all encountered Aussies who think they have "Insurance" on US rentals through their travel insurance..... scary stuff.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Many travel insurances offered in Australia only offer very limited car rental coverage to a few thousand dollars and are completely inadequate to replace LDW in USA[
They are completely inadequate yes...because they were never meant to replace CDW/LDW. Nor did I suggest or imply that they did.... I specified that my Travel Insurance covered the EXCESS. Not that it replaced CDW/LDW in any way....was that not clear? I think we have all encountered Aussies who think they have "Insurance" on US rentals through their travel insurance..... scary stuff.
"Excess? Covered by standard travel insurance policies purchased here" was not that clear

There are a few cards that do offer proper protection for hire cars ( such as the American Express Platinum Charge card ) , but I agree that most coverages offered in AU seem to be fairly poor and only would cover a few thousand dollars and some people who think that they are covered will end up with an unpleasant shock

Fortunately , Hertz quotes from Australa do seem to include LDW by default for USA
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:31 am

Exactly! I'd hate to get caught out by something like that..... especially if the rental company played hardball and went for "loss of use" costs as well, as it seems they can legally do.....

I will continue to book through those "all inclusive" websites.... the costs are often bloody good by our standards anyway!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:41 am

Exactly! I'd hate to get caught out by something like that..... especially if the rental company played hardball and went for "loss of use" costs as well, as it seems they can legally do.....

I will continue to book through those "all inclusive" websites.... the costs are often bloody good by our standards anyway!
I just book on the hertz UK site for these things and it works well but anywhere that includes these options seem good to me

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 11, 2018 at 1:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.