FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   Hertz Deposit Question for Visa - 2018 Edition (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1885552-hertz-deposit-question-visa-2018-edition.html)

klanfa Apr 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Another DP:
Joined Gold rewards a couple of weeks ago when I turned 21. Rented this weekend, no extra $200 hold. Good stuff :D

matthewqb Apr 18, 2018 11:40 pm

Assuming your rental was on a Visa?

klanfa Apr 19, 2018 12:55 am

Originally Posted by matthewqb (Post 29658664)
Assuming your rental was on a Visa?

Yes, my rental was on a Visa (that was saved to my profile). Spoke to the Assistant Manager at the HLE, he said that it is a policy that there's no $200 hold for Visas when you're a Gold member (and I assume the Visa needs to be added to your profile).

Ummmwhat Apr 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by matthewqb (Post 29560984)
first Hertz rental

Rentals after your first will not have the $200 deposit, assuming your Visa card is in your Gold Profile and you're renting using Gold.

adunker Apr 23, 2018 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Ummmwhat (Post 29672022)
Rentals after your first will not have the $200 deposit, assuming your Visa card is in your Gold Profile and you're renting using Gold.

This was exactly my experience this year. Was taken back during my first rental when I saw the pending charge on my card.

Alex Cater May 3, 2018 10:50 am

Can someone please confirm something to me please.

I've put in a rental for a Hertz vehicle from early August for 1 week. The total price on the website was approx £240 (I will be renting in Canada fyi) and I agreed to pre-pay £200.
This £200 is showing up as a pending transaction on my Visa credit card (and has remained pending for the last 5 days). Am I right in thinking that this will remain as a pending transaction all the way until I pick up the car in August? Or will they charge me in a day or two and hence I can pay off the £200 by say next Monday and have that space freed up on my credit card again. Just concerned as I don't want to accumulate interest on £200 over the next 3 months

Cheers

klanfa May 3, 2018 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Alex Cater (Post 29711610)
Can someone please confirm something to me please.

I've put in a rental for a Hertz vehicle from early August for 1 week. The total price on the website was approx £240 (I will be renting in Canada fyi) and I agreed to pre-pay £200.
This £200 is showing up as a pending transaction on my Visa credit card (and has remained pending for the last 5 days). Am I right in thinking that this will remain as a pending transaction all the way until I pick up the car in August? Or will they charge me in a day or two and hence I can pay off the £200 by say next Monday and have that space freed up on my credit card again. Just concerned as I don't want to accumulate interest on £200 over the next 3 months

Cheers

I don't think you can accumulate interest on a pending charge. And from my experience, Hertz pre-pay rates may take a while to post.

jackal May 3, 2018 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by klanfa (Post 29712072)
I don't think you can accumulate interest on a pending charge. And from my experience, Hertz pre-pay rates may take a while to post.

I don't have experience prepaying with Hertz, so I don't know how long it takes charges to post, but I would certainly expect it to eventually post. They would not keep it as a pending authorization for a period of several months. A merchant has 30 days to process a charge against an authorization before it becomes an invalid authorization (taking more than 30 days to post a charge would be grounds for an automatic reversal if you were to charge it back). Also, they want use of the money now--that's the whole reason you prepaid. They don't get the money until they process the charge.

That said, if you were to have someone place an authorization on your card and never process a charge against it: it varies by card-issuing bank, but an unposted authorization will "fall off" of your card (and thus your available credit returned to you) anywhere from a few days to a month after it shows up. Most banks seem to get rid of them after a week (even if technically the merchant can still claim that money for up to 30 days).

Lee Fischer Jul 10, 2018 5:22 am

How it works. Gold and non gold rentals

Gold renters. Normally hertz DOES require a $200 deposit, plus the cost of the rental which is rounded to nearest dollar. After so many rentals hertz will eventually stop requiring a deposit to rent a car. But a $200 deposit is normal with most rental car companies in airport locations. As for non gold rentals hertz will always expect a $200 hold plus the rental cost on every car rented. And for airport locations unless you have return flight info and are ok with a minor credit check you must present a CREDIT card, debit cards are ok if you are flying out the day your returning the car and a credit check is ok. Still a $200 deposit plus rental costs are required. And people, just because a debit card can be ran as credit does not make it a credit card, OK? So if you plan to rent from hertz, Expect to have your rentals costs plus $200 to be held on a CREDIT card. They accept Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and discover as valid form of payment. Hope this helps.

klanfa Jul 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Lee Fischer (Post 29957664)
Gold renters. Normally hertz DOES require a $200 deposit, plus the cost of the rental which is rounded to nearest dollar. After so many rentals hertz will eventually stop requiring a deposit to rent a car. But a $200 deposit is normal with most rental car companies in airport locations. As for non gold rentals hertz will always expect a $200 hold plus the rental cost on every car rented. And for airport locations unless you have return flight info and are ok with a minor credit check you must present a CREDIT card, debit cards are ok if you are flying out the day your returning the car and a credit check is ok. Still a $200 deposit plus rental costs are required. And people, just because a debit card can be ran as credit does not make it a credit card, OK? So if you plan to rent from hertz, Expect to have your rentals costs plus $200 to be held on a CREDIT card. They accept Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and discover as valid form of payment. Hope this helps.

Not really. This thread is specific to VISA credit cards and as established earlier, there is no deposit for Gold rentals using a VISA from your Gold profile. Otherwise there is a $200 hold and that's it.
Credit vs debit card info is useful, but it's not applicable to all airport locations. And it's off topic..

Hockey Sd Jan 14, 2019 1:16 pm

Is there a hold for an authorized driver with a VISA credit card? If so, how much?

klanfa Jan 14, 2019 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Hockey Sd (Post 30654306)
Is there a hold for an authorized driver with a VISA credit card? If so, how much?

No holds for authorized drivers on any card. Authorized drivers don't even provide their credit card info.

kyushuman Jan 14, 2020 11:02 am

Rented with AMEX at MSP this past weekend, returned Sunday. $200+ rental cost hold is still on the card. Presidents Circle. I don't recall having this happen much before! Anyway, what's the time frame for having it disappear?
thanks

CalItalian Jan 14, 2020 12:28 pm

Just for the record, there is no change with a Visa card for 2020. No $200 deposit. Just a hit against your card for the expected actual charges (from my January 2, 2020 LAX rental).