Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Benefit - return to another location

Old Dec 27, 17, 3:22 am
Original Poster

I was updating my profile in my Hertz account today. I'm Platinum and clicked on the Platinum Benefits information, noticed a perk I had never seen previously, and wondered if anyone has any experience.

Your portfolio of privileges includes:-

- No extra charge for hiring a car from one location and leaving it at another in the same country.

Has anyone taken advantage of this, and do you know whether or not one can change the return location after picking up the car, or does the return location have to be pre-indicated. This would work out very well for our upcoming trip, where we may wish to drop off the car in a location other than where we picked up.
Old Dec 27, 17, 6:37 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by SusanDK View Post
I was updating my profile in my Hertz account today. I'm Platinum and clicked on the Platinum Benefits information, noticed a perk I had never seen previously, and wondered if anyone has any experience.

Your portfolio of privileges includes:-

- No extra charge for hiring a car from one location and leaving it at another in the same country.
Has anyone taken advantage of this, and do you know whether or not one can change the return location after picking up the car, or does the return location have to be pre-indicated. This would work out very well for our upcoming trip, where we may wish to drop off the car in a location other than where we picked up.
Never hear of this Platinum benefit, but it sure would be interesting to test when renting in the lower 48 and returning in Anchorage (which is theoretically an impossible one-way rental).
Old Dec 27, 17, 9:53 am

Wow, that's a pretty good perk.

Out of curiosity, how did you get Platinum and how does it cost? Do you think it's really worth it?
Old Dec 27, 17, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
Never hear of this Platinum benefit, but it sure would be interesting to test when renting in the lower 48 and returning in Anchorage (which is theoretically an impossible one-way rental).
Why is it impossible?
It's just a looong drive, but done a number of times.
Old Dec 27, 17, 10:26 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
Anchorage is certainly possible. It's not close, but it's possible. Juneau can't be done without a ferry ride, though...

That said, I checked, and it looks like Hertz doesn't allow one-ways from the lower 48 to Anchorage. Might be the distance, might be that ANC is (as I recall) a franchise location.
Old Dec 27, 17, 11:51 am

Might this benefit only apply for non-US residents? Otherwise, I can imagine a lot of really cheap cross country one-ways in the summer peak season, messing up inventory control relative to demand.
Old Dec 27, 17, 11:54 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by wxman22 View Post
Why is it impossible?
It's just a looong drive, but done a number of times.
It's not physically impossible to drive it, but it's impossible from the perspective that no rental company will allow a one-way rental between the lower 48 and Alaska.
cestmoi123 likes this.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Dec 27, 17 at 4:48 pm
Old Dec 27, 17, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast View Post
Might this benefit only apply for non-US residents? Otherwise, I can imagine a lot of really cheap cross country one-ways in the summer peak season, messing up inventory control relative to demand.
I would bet that it's for non-US Platinum members. The original post refers to "hiring" a car (vs. "renting" one), which probably means it's taken from a non-US site...
Old Dec 27, 17, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m907 View Post
Wow, that's a pretty good perk.

Out of curiosity, how did you get Platinum and how does it cost? Do you think it's really worth it?
Hertz Platinum is a benefit of the U.S.-issued AmEx Centurion card.

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
I would bet that it's for non-US Platinum members. The original post refers to "hiring" a car (vs. "renting" one), which probably means it's taken from a non-US site...
While my current address in my Hertz profile is outside the U.S., I received the Platinum status as a perk of a U.S. Centurion account.

I did try to make two reservations while logged in to my account to test it. One with a car picked up and returned to the same location; the other with an alternative drop off. There was a substantial price difference. However, I am going to call the Platinum line in the next few days to ask about it. It's clearly written on the benefits page and only states that it has to be returned within the same country.
pretzlaff and m907 like this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 27, 17 at 3:00 pm Reason: Multi-quote
Old Dec 27, 17, 2:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat, DL Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis CC, Hertz Plat
I am very interested in the outcome of this. I am both Hertz Plat and Avis Chairman, but primarily use Avis. This plat benefit could switch me over to Hertz.
Old Dec 27, 17, 6:15 pm

That was my thinking, too.

However, I am going to call the Platinum line in the next few days to ask about it. It's clearly written on the benefits page and only states that it has to be returned within the same country.

Based on Hert'z wonderful IT and customer service, I bet we can all guess where this will go. It's easier to remove the wording than apply the benefit...
m907 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 17, 8:42 am
Original Poster

I just spoke to the Platinum desk. Unfortunately, the wording only means that there is no extra "drop off" fee charged to Platinum members. However, if I change the return city, they will re-calculate my rate based on the revised return location. In my case, it would increase my existing contract by ca. $400 per month and the revised rate applies to the entire period.

I guess there may be times when this would work for some members, but isn't something I'll be doing for my current rental.
Old Dec 28, 17, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Originally Posted by SusanDK View Post
However, if I change the return city, they will re-calculate my rate based on the revised return location.
I could see the recalculation being in the renter's favor if renting from a high cost location (e.g., NYC) and returning to a low cost location (e.g., upstate New York). Interesting.
Old Dec 28, 17, 10:43 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by pshuang View Post
I could see the recalculation being in the renter's favor if renting from a high cost location (e.g., NYC) and returning to a low cost location (e.g., upstate New York). Interesting.
Maybe I am misraeding but I don't think it's recalculating the pick-up and drop-off location, just the drop-off location. One way rates can vary materially from r/t rates even before any drop fee is considered I believe.
Old Dec 28, 17, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pshuang View Post
It doesn't seem to work that way. My current reservation is at MCO for a specific price (same pick up and drop off). When I changed it for an SFO drop off, it went up by ca. $400 per month. However, if I reverse it and have a one-way from SFO to MCO, the price is about the same as the MCO-SFO. The SFO-SFO rental for the same dates as my current MCO rental is very close in price to the existing MCO-MCO.

So it appears as though any one-way, regardless of direction, has a higher price point, just as one usually anticipates. I was just hoping that based on the language in the list of Platinum benefits, that there might be a unique perk there.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: