Wiki Posts
Search

One-way with points

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
One-way with points

One of the advantages I have found with Hertz is the flexibility for using points for all kinds of reservations. However, it seems that one-way trips are not much of a bargain with points. I'm trying to go from ROA to TUL using points for a full size. A week ago it was over $400 with a 3-day points coupon. Just checked to day and it's $200 with the points. With National it's $9 with 3 free day coupons.

This just validated my practice of keeping EE on National plus PC on Hertz.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:24 pm

It's 1,200 points per day. There should not be any additional charges if you use the points to cover the entire rental, and do not make the mistake of using a company CDP with a one-way mileage charge for a points reservation.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

No, I try a different browser without any CDP and it still shows 208. I adjust the rental from 2 days/8 hours to 3 days it then drops to $60. I still like the $9 better at National.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:31 am

Hertz does not use free-day coupons like National. How many points are you paying? It should give you the option to pay for one, two or three days with points (if you have enough).

The $ 60 may just be a well-known glitch: Hertz calculates the taxes on the total amount before applying the points, but then when you actually pick up the car there are no taxes (some location-specific fees may still apply).
jackal likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:50 am

It's too bad you're using free days from a non-Aisle location, where you will more likely have the worst car they have and want to get rid of assigned to the one-way. The experience alone of choosing to take away the nicest car available on the Aisle makes using National credits or 1-2 Free coupons worth more than Hertz points.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Yllanes
The $ 60 may just be a well-known glitch: Hertz calculates the taxes on the total amount before applying the points, but then when you actually pick up the car there are no taxes (some location-specific fees may still apply).
Exactly. Data point: I reserved a one-way DFW-SGF on points and was quoted a total after-tax rate (1-day rental) of $26.37. My actual bill at return was $6.39.

It's because Hertz's reservation system assumes you're paying the full percentage-based sales/airport taxes on the base rate and quotes you that amount, but the rental system treats the points redemption as a discount on the base rate, so you end up paying 20% tax on $0.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:18 pm

Hi -

A a data point, I rented a car for one day from LGA-BOS. Used points, the total came to $.60. Quite good, actually.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:17 am

That regional one-way may be priced competitively such as to not need to spend scare points.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:50 pm

Hi -

In my case (last fall during leaf season) they wanted $200 for the one-way rental. I thought that was a good use of points.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Ended up using National and the $9 rental was a brand new Chevy Envoy SUV. Perfect for a 1100 mile drive in the rain. Trying to make another points reservation and getting the dreaded "not enough points..." message when I actually have 30k points. Time to call in...
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by TSparky
Ended up using National and the $9 rental was a brand new Chevy Envoy SUV. Perfect for a 1100 mile drive in the rain. Trying to make another points reservation and getting the dreaded "not enough points..." message when I actually have 30k points. Time to call in...
do you mean Equinox?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m907
do you mean Equinox?
Yes, that midsize SUV...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.