Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at HNL; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at HNL; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:01 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by heavygauge
I will have my first visit at HNL with hertz next week. So we must go to the desk and get a key instead going to the lot and drive the car away directly?
Here's a current map of HNL (although not to scale): http://terminalmaps.hawaii.gov:8080/hmaps/hnl

The Hertz location is in the Terminal 2 parking garage at the arrivals/baggage claim level. If your flight arrives into Terminal 2, then it's a quick walk across the roadway from baggage claim to the location, There's a separate line and rep for Gold members and that's where you obtain the keys to your assigned car and printed rental agreement. You'll be informed of the parking lot space (and floor of the garage) the car is in and you just drive off after that. As an aside, a Jeep is about the last thing I would want for a rental at HNL; I much prefer cars that blend in with the locals so when I go to the beach, there's less risk of being targeted for a break in / smash and grab.
aSiAnRiCk and ginmqi like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:24 am

Arrived yesterday around 4 pm; the Hertz section of the garage was about as empty as I've seen it due to the holidays. Both of the aisles in the garage that Hertz uses for Gold reservations only had a few cars in them. I noted a few SUV like Nissan Rogue and Pathfinders, a Ford Flex, and a Yukon XL. I also saw two Range Rovers, but no Jeeps. Myreservation was fulfilled by a G 2019 Impala V-6 Premier with 1,300 miles on the odometer - @cestmoi123 eat your heart out .

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 31, 2018 at 10:08 am
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Arrived yesterday around 4 pm; the Hertz section of the garage was about as empty as I've seen it due to the holidays. Both of the aisles in the garage that Hertz uses for Gold reservations only had a few cars in them. I noted a few SUV like Nissan Rogue and Pathfinders, a Ford Flex, and a Yukon XL. I also saw two Range Rovers, but no Jeeps. Myreservation was fulfilled by a G 2019 Impala V-6 Premier with 1,300 miles on the odometer - @cestmoi123 eat your heart out .
Leaning out the window of my (perfectly adequate, but utterly uninspiring) 2017 Sonata fullsize and shaking my fist at you.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
As an aside, a Jeep is about the last thing I would want for a rental at HNL; I much prefer cars that blend in with the locals so when I go to the beach, there's less risk of being targeted for a break in / smash and grab.
Agreed.

I've been a monthly renter out of HNL (with National usually, though I do have Hertz PC as well) for about 16mo now and I did my share of Jeep Wrangler rentals and at first it was nice for the novelty but after that it wears off. Wranglers are GREAT at real off-roading (which I would imagine 98% of tourists never do real off-roading) and otherwise Wranglers are known for their terrible actual on-road performance: poor MPG, low power, high step height into the cabin, poor ride quality, lack of interior features/quality, poor interior space for the size of SUV.

Big Island is where I feel Wranglers can actually excel IF you actually take it to some off-road trails.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:47 pm

President's Circle Experience at HNL

HNL

Reserved: Full Size
Carfirmation: Chrysler 300 (Luxury)

At the counter, i asked for something a little smaller and was given a 4 cylinder 2019 Camaro with 1100 miles. Pretty barebones, no XM radio but good gas mileage and excellent infotainment system so no complaints from me (especially since i downgraded myself).

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 13, 2019 at 4:48 pm Reason: moved into location-specific thread
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by roadtripguy
[N]o XM radio...
No big loss there; Sirius/XM doesn't work in Hawaii as it's outside of the satellite coverage area. Glad you had a satisfactory experience and hope you got to get the Camaro up to speed on one of the Interstate Highways.
Joonydell likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
president's circle at HNL

for some reason i could have sworn that this location had ultimate choice - i was previously given a land rover, and i only reserve intermediate. that must have been why. anyways....

reserved: intermediate
received: nissan rogue (after asking at the counter for an SUV)
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Rented a CCAR (Ford Focus) at ITO for 4 days from today and just received Carfirmation for a Chevrolet Impala PCAR. My first time renting as PC in the USA so I’m pretty happy - especially as I saved USD$45 not renting a FCAR which is what I originally chose.
Update: on the other hand booked a CCAR (Ford Focus) at HNL and my Carfirmation had an ICAR (Kia Soul) so just a one class upgrade. I didn’t ask for anything better at the counter as figured they’d given me the one class upgrade as they needed to so not much point.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: ANA Miledge club, JAL Miledge bank, Hertz #1 Gold
Do they have any convertibles left? Every convertible shown as sold out, yet plenty of everything else.
Anything with a V8?
Old May 5, 2019, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by roadtripguy
HNL

Reserved: Full Size
Carfirmation: Chrysler 300 (Luxury)

At the counter, i asked for something a little smaller and was given a 4 cylinder 2019 Camaro with 1100 miles. Pretty barebones, no XM radio but good gas mileage and excellent infotainment system so no complaints from me (especially since i downgraded myself).
wow, I booked a Premium and got a C300 as well. I really do like C300 but have no other choices... and paid much more.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
What to expect for a Group G or Group I? I'm guessing mostly Chryslers 300 as mentioned above, and maybe the rare C300?

Group D: $45.xx
Group G: $48.xx
Group I: $51.xx

The difference is so small in HNL!
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:10 am

Booked a G4 - Luxury Sport, Cadillac XTS or equivalent - at HNL, am PC. Got an Infiniti Q50.

Felt like a downgrade. Asked if anything else available at the counter, and was told no that's all in the class you booked.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 4:25 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Welcome to FlyerTalk. The Q50 is not a downgrade, but it is at the lower end of the range.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I'm about to book, and I am also seeing pretty much every category available between 30-50 USD/day. I'm contemplating just calling to confirm a specific vehicle
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:42 am

Arrived yesterday (Wednesday) around 1:45 pm. with a reserved Premium car. I was given a somewhat worn 2018 P4 Cadillac CTS Premium sedan with 20,000 miles on the odometer. I noted a Chrysler 300, Impala V6, Range Rover, a few convertible Camaros and Mustangs, several Explorers, and a Sienna minivan in the garage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.