Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at HNL; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:58 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I would expect a Kia Sedona or Chrysler Pacifica and you would need to speak with the Manager on Duty and ask for a better vehicle.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 12, 2018 at 7:33 pm
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
If I reserve a 7 passenger minivan as a Platinum, will that be pretty much what I get? I would love a Range Rover.
I have found the Hertz HNL branch manager, to be very good about upgrades for Hertz President's Circle customers. Every time I've rented -- both on points and with cash -- I have received a text message indicating I was pre-assigned a Land Rover. Each time I booked a full-size or premium, which at this branch normally gets you a Jeep Wrangler.

I always turn down the Land Rover because I like having a Jeep on an island. I'm not sure how Hertz HNL handles Hertz platinum customers.

My only complaint is some of the Jeeps are island cars in that there is visible damage -- bumper dings and scratches. Also, I've had to switch cars twice because the sand from a previous customer wasn't cleaned out. The duty manager has always been good about this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 12, 2018 at 7:33 pm Reason: edited to remove employee name and comment on moderation, both of which are not allowed under FT Rules
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Hertz Honolulu Airport
July 2018
Booked premium-class (cheapest) and upgraded to a beautiful 4-door, hardtop Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with only 2,400 miles on it.

Booked mid-size SUV (cheapest) and upgraded to a standard 4-door, hardtop Jeep Wrangler with 2,000 miles on it.

I pre-confirmed the upgrades, both times, through my contact who is the operations manager for Hertz at HNL. I book about 6-7 rentals per year at HNL so he always gives me a Jeep. They typically upgrade President's Circle customers who book a full-size or higher into an entry-level Land Rover SUV. For me, the Jeep is better.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
Hertz HNL
Late April 2018
First rental after becoming PC, booked lowest Econo for 6 days & was expecting a mid-size upgrade, given a brand new Infiniti Q50!! So much win on the winding drive up to the North Shore.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Honolulu airport Hertz
August 2018
Booked full-size, received 4-door, hard top Jeep Wrangler with 5,000 miles on it, per my usual contact at Hertz HNL (send me a private message for the manager's contact info)

For what it's worth, the Hertz.com rate for a Jeep was about double the price.

Only complaint, as is usual at Hertz HNL, is no gold choice and you still have to go out of your way to a desk to get the keys instead of going to the parking space and leaving. I was pre-assigned a car by email and text message about 2 hours before my stated arrival time.
aSiAnRiCk and heavygauge like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Hertz Honolulu Airport
September 2018
Booked a full-size, landed in Honolulu and received a text message and email that I had been pre-assigned a 2018 Infiniti Q50. Went to Hertz counter and changed the car to a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I have found the Hertz HNL branch manager, to be very good about upgrades for Hertz President's Circle customers. Every time I've rented -- both on points and with cash -- I have received a text message indicating I was pre-assigned a Land Rover. Each time I booked a full-size or premium, which at this branch normally gets you a Jeep Wrangler.
I live on Oahu and a Wrangler is one of the most popular rental vehicles here (along side convertible Mustang/Camaros) and likely one of the most rented out vehicles for rental companies and so I guess the turn over is quite high to get the Wrangler rented out as much as possible for max revenue generation.

Personally, I've driven a few rental Wranglers on all the islands and practically it is not very good, though the open top and the image of driving a Wrangler is certainly enticing for those who have not experienced it. Unless you actually want to go off-road (which 99% of tourists probably never utilize Wrangler's off road ability) it's not that good of a vehicle imo (poor mpg, poor ride/steering, plastic and low quality interior, not that much roomy). Though it's fun when I have visitors and show them around in a Wrangler!

Currently I'm status matched to PC but haven't had a chacne to rent one out of Hertz HNL just yet. I do see their lots having Corvette and Mercedes convertibles though....

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 12, 2018 at 7:35 pm Reason: shortened quote
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:57 pm

HNL Minivan availability/upgrade

I'm going to need a minivan out of HNL this weekend, and I'm wondering what my options/odds are. I've been PC for some time, and normally I'm able to pick anything I'd like from the LAS lot (helpful staff will release any vehicle now after ~75 rentals this year), however HNL doesn't have a UC/PC lot. Another member of our party rented a minivan (not prepaid), and I was wondering if I put in a C res, would I be able to choose a minivan and allow them to cancel their res? The difference is about 3x in terms of cost.

I have no idea about how the staff there would handle this request, however network-wide, Hertz has been very accommodating this year.

G
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:04 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I doubt you have a lot of leverage with a midsize upgrade to a minivan, even as a PC member, due to the price differential you cite. Might need to pony up a bit to a full-size or Premium.

Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:06 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by GeoBau
I'm going to need a minivan out of HNL this weekend, and I'm wondering what my options/odds are. I've been PC for some time, and normally I'm able to pick anything I'd like from the LAS lot (helpful staff will release any vehicle now after ~75 rentals this year), however HNL doesn't have a UC/PC lot. Another member of our party rented a minivan (not prepaid), and I was wondering if I put in a C res, would I be able to choose a minivan and allow them to cancel their res? The difference is about 3x in terms of cost.

I have no idea about how the staff there would handle this request, however network-wide, Hertz has been very accommodating this year.

G
I merged this question with the consolidated HNL thread.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz mod
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:57 pm

Appreciate it!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:33 am

Rented on Tuesday, 11/13 at around 2pm:

Have PC status. Booked full-size and received a Ford Edge with less than 2k miles. Asked at the counter for other upgrades, since some posters here mentioned getting RR or Wranglers on full-size/premium reservations. The agent tried to find something for us but eventually said everything else's already sold out.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
It's good weather season in HNL. Usually booked to what they have with a big big line to wash outside.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 26, 2018 at 5:53 am Reason: removed misquote
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:40 am

HNL pick up

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Honolulu airport Hertz
August 2018

Only complaint, as is usual at Hertz HNL, is no gold choice and you still have to go out of your way to a desk to get the keys instead of going to the parking space and leaving. I was pre-assigned a car by email and text message about 2 hours before my stated arrival time.
I will have my first visit at HNL with hertz next week. So we must go to the desk and get a key instead going to the lot and drive the car away directly?
Thanks for your info!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by heavygauge
I will have my first visit at HNL with hertz next week. So we must go to the desk and get a key instead going to the lot and drive the car away directly?
Thanks for your info!
Yes, you do but you should receive a car assigned to you by email and text message before you land. If you want to switch, don't be afraid to ask. Honolulu is good about Jeeps, especially for President's Circle status customers. The manager, is awesome. He likes beer. I give him a 6-pack every other trip.

Last edited by jason8612; Nov 26, 2018 at 3:33 pm Reason: Removed non-public, personal info according to FT Terms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.