Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at HNL; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at HNL; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:17 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Arrived last night (Monday) around 7 pm; it was a ghost town at the Rental Car Center with basically no customers in the waiting area. My Premium reservation was filled by a 2019 G Chevy Impala V6 Premium with 10,000 miles on the odometer that would have made cestmoi123 do cartwheels except for the fact that there was an army of little black ants crawling all over the exterior. I went back inside and swapped it for a 2019 Ford Taurus Limited with 3,600 miles. The A/C vented seats are very much appreciated and are being put to good use.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 19, 2019 at 10:50 am
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Saturday evening, 18:30. Reservation for an Intermediate C for 24hrs as a PC member. Upgraded to a Q50 which was a pleasant surprise.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Any recent experiences? I have PC status hanging around from 2019 still and have a medium convertible rented there in about three weeks. Curious what sort of cars are available these days.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 7:54 pm

I just picked up yesterday (as a PC) for a 1-day rental, There is no choice per se, you go to the counter in the garage, and they will have a car pulled for you, but there isn't an area to trade. I had reserved a Midsize and I was given an Infiniti QX50. For everyone being sold out, there were a lot of cars waiting to be picked up, but I didn't really look at them, especially since there weren't any areas, just random cars in stalls. I will say the pickup and return were both quick and efficient.
jrkmsp and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:23 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wcj1
I just picked up yesterday (as a PC) for a 1-day rental, There is no choice per se, you go to the counter in the garage, and they will have a car pulled for you, but there isn't an area to trade. I had reserved a Midsize and I was given an Infiniti QX50. For everyone being sold out, there were a lot of cars waiting to be picked up, but I didn't really look at them, especially since there weren't any areas, just random cars in stalls. I will say the pickup and return were both quick and efficient.
Thanks. Mines a one-day rental as well. Ive had some good luck with surprises on one-day rentals, but with the rental market as tight as it is, itll probably be exactly what I reserved. Thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
How is the process at HNL these days? I was reading above and it sounds like there no longer a gold/PC check in line and everyone is sent to the garage? I’m renting a F Class car for a short rental in a few weeks and was wondering what should I expect to get.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:10 pm

It's a pretty smooth process. You go to the counter and they have your keys ready for you. I had an F Class car and got a Cadillac XT5 as a PC last week.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Yakolev
It's a pretty smooth process. You go to the counter and they have your keys ready for you. I had an F Class car and got a Cadillac XT5 as a PC last week.
Sweet, I used a CDP GOVT leisure discount code so they may want to see my work ID, but sounds pretty easy!
Old May 18, 2021, 1:37 am

HNL was a breeze today. Rented a F Class and ended up getting a nice Ford Edge. Agent already had my keys ready at the Gold counter and I just had to show him my ID and I was handed the keys.
Ordpc likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 5:09 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Frontier Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Rented an F class. the agent at the desk asked for Gold Members, and I was pulled out of the line and given a Chrysler 300. Easy pick up and drop off. Good work HNL Hertz.
Auto Enthusiast, Mr. BoH and Ordpc like this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Great experience at HNL.
I have PC status but very rarely book with points.(Most of my points were transferred to airlines and hotels pre-COVID).
This summer I booked a 7 days rental and a 1 day rental(had to do it due to 8th day would require 2 weeks award) at HNL. Booked medium sized SUV (Equinox equiv) and was upgraded to Infiniti QX60 both times, one had 4k miles while the other had 10k but both look brand new to me. I think it was a very good use of 9000 points given rental cars were sold out at HNL that week.
They also have a very reasonable negotiated rate with my company but I decided to use up all available points first. One tricky part at booking was that I had to remove my company code in order to use points. Therefore any overage charge becomes extremely expensive. I was able to return the cars both times within the 29 minutes grace period to avoid that. Overall very satisfied and feel valued as a PC member.
Gurukid6729 likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 9, 2021 at 2:46 pm Reason: moved to dedicated thread
Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:37 pm

arrived at the hertz rental counter around 1130am this past Monday Aug 9. Barely any line, they handed me the keys to my minivan and I was off.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 11:15 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Arrived this past Saturday around 3 pm; there was a very short line for Gold pickups and I waited no more than 2-3 minutes. I reserved a C class car (I'm here for two weeks) and received an 2020 F Chevy Malibu LT with 13,000 miles on the odometer. I was a little annoyed that there's fair amount of body damage on the car, enough for a picky-return agent to cite. The gold agent insisted that the damage was all logged and I wouldn't be charged, but I did a walk-around video, just to be safe.

I saw a lot of Malibu LT in the garage so believe it's the most-common FCAR in the HNL fleet at the moment.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP, National EE, Hertz PC
Smile

FCAR reservation as a PC member. Arrived 10am on a weekday. No wait at the counter, was assigned a QX60. Very happy w/ the experience!
Old Sep 26, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mt0916
FCAR reservation as a PC member. Arrived 10am on a weekday. No wait at the counter, was assigned a QX60. Very happy w/ the experience!
Same experience as you.

1 day FCAR reservation as a PC member. Arrived 11am on a weekend. No wait at the counter, was assigned a QX60 (found out via email around 5 or 6AM). However I may be in the minority here, I do not like Infiniti that much and definitely don't enjoy a 2019 model without CarPlay. Didn't ask to trade for a different model at the counter however as I wanted to get going. Then the moment I leave the parking garage, the low tire pressure warning light comes on.
Ordpc likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.