Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking through Hertz UK but from USA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Booking through Hertz UK but from USA

I was wondering if it'd be possible for me to rent through hertz UK website even though I am from California because I saw it'd be cheaper than booking through the US site because it included liability insurance. I am under 25 but have AAA so I was looking at booking using Hertz but for my car insurance I am covered under my father so I receive no liability protections when renting a car. When I looked at adding it on the US site it would cost me $18.85 extra daily when I add just the Liability Insurance Supplement. I'd be saving around $40 if I could book using the UK site.

Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz President ś Circle , AF- KLM Flying Blue, BA Executive Club
Why just Hertz UK ?
You could check any European Hertz site.
There are huge price differences between the European Hertz sites !
Even when using the same CDP
But ;
There are rental companies who exclude US and Canadian citizen from booking on "all inclusive " EU sites.
Did you check this in the Hertz Europe conditions.?
2e ; insurance and under age renting .

When renting from a EU site you always have your CDW and SLI included.
One thing remains : Your under-age charge.
trooper likes this.

Last edited by jason8612; Oct 31, 2017 at 6:53 am Reason: error -sorry
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by TreeDoan
I was wondering if it'd be possible for me to rent through hertz UK website even though I am from California because I saw it'd be cheaper than booking through the US site because it included liability insurance. I am under 25 but have AAA so I was looking at booking using Hertz but for my car insurance I am covered under my father so I receive no liability protections when renting a car. When I looked at adding it on the US site it would cost me $18.85 extra daily when I add just the Liability Insurance Supplement. I'd be saving around $40 if I could book using the UK site.

Thanks!
I've booked many times using European sites for rentals in the US (I'm a US resident). Never had an issue.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:54 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Well AAA CDP would waive the under age fee
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/partn...etPage=AAA.jsp
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm in the same situation as you but for a different reason. I'm an EU citizen, but with only a US driver license from when I used to live there. So when I travel to CA I also would much rather rent through an EU website. One thing that does worry me is in their terms and conditions regarding the liability coverage, where it states that the insurance is not valid if it was obtained through 'fraud or misrepresentation.' And also the website states that your license must match the country website you are renting from. So if something does go wrong I don't know if Hertz would try to get out of covering you or not.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by goofygoofygooberyeah
And also the website states that your license must match the country website you are renting from. So if something does go wrong I don't know if Hertz would try to get out of covering you or not.
Where does the website say that? I haven't seen that
bedeve likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I've booked many times using European sites for rentals in the US (I'm a US resident). Never had an issue.
On how many of those rentals was a claim made against the insurance provided in the rental rate?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Where does the website say that? I haven't seen that
Sorry couldn't find that, thought I remembered it when I was looking into this a while ago, but did see the similar statement, directly related to the liability insurance of: "Hertz will provide primary liability protection up to the statutory minimum limits to international customers (driver's license indicates an address outside the USA) renting in California."

So could be trouble waiting if a claim needs to be made and the renter is a US resident.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:19 am

Sorry couldn't find that, thought I remembered it when I was looking into this a while ago, but did see the similar statement, directly related to the liability insurance of: "Hertz will provide primary liability protection up to the statutory minimum limits to international customers (driver's license indicates an address outside the USA) renting in California."

So could be trouble waiting if a claim needs to be made and the renter is a US resident.
That statement would relate to the situation where someone does not have any coverages - Hertz will provide the minumum legal coverage that it is required to do so

That would not be relavant where the renter has purchased a rate including LDW/LIS

see https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reser...ES&EOAG=EWKC31
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hertz could care less until it does.

If you file a claim, then it will investigate and deny coverage if you have booked under any form of a rate to which you are not entitled. No different than using a CDP code which you are not authorized to use.

If you are going to do this, just forget the coverage in the first place as Hertz (or its contractor) won't pay on the claim and you will wind up paying it out yourself.

Not a big deal if it's a $1,000 scratch. A bigger deal if the vehicle is totalled or some is injured.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:05 pm

That statement would relate to the situation where someone does not have any coverages - Hertz will provide the minumum legal coverage that it is required to do so

That would not be relavant where the renter has purchased a rate including LDW/LIS

see https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reser...ES&EOAG=EWKC31
I see what you're saying, but my thinking was that that statement was referring to the fact that for international customers, the rates Hertz offers includes LIS. As every international rate (at least the European ones) for renting in CA includes the LIS, so otherwise it would be an unnecessary statement. But also possible that it's the way you say. Unless I'd know for sure it's a risk!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:16 pm

I see what you're saying, but my thinking was that that statement was referring to the fact that for international customers, the rates Hertz offers includes LIS. As every international rate (at least the European ones) for renting in CA includes the LIS, so otherwise it would be an unnecessary statement. But also possible that it's the way you say. Unless I'd know for sure it's a risk!
No it isn't - all it is doing is meeting its minimum legal obligations where LIS is not purchased - the minimum legal obligations do not provide the same cover that LIS does

A google search indicates

California Minimum Car Insurance Coverage. California requires drivers to carry at least the following coverages: Bodily Injury Liability Coverage: $15,000 per person / $30,000 per accident minimum. Property Damage Liability Coverage: $5,000 minimum.

"However, Hertz makes available additional liability protection, which is primary, if the optional Liability Insurance Supplement, LIS, is purchased."

It then goes on, in the next section, to describe benefits of LIS

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
California Minimum Car Insurance Coverage. California requires drivers to carry at least the following coverages: Bodily Injury Liability Coverage: $15,000 per person / $30,000 per accident minimum. Property Damage Liability Coverage: $5,000 minimum.
It's worth noting that this amount of coverage will get you off the hook if the CHP pull you over to check but it won't go very far if you are in an accident and held to be at all responsible.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
On how many of those rentals was a claim made against the insurance provided in the rental rate?
Having went thru claim process with Citi and the documentation they requested, I don't think the fact you are a US resident who booked a rate from Hertz (UK/DE/FR) site shows up in any documentation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.