Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at ALB (Albany, NY); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:08 am
Original Poster
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Arrived midnight Friday (early Sat) last weekend, and the PC lot was half empty. Only available was an Avalon, Kia Optima, Hyundai Tuscon and I believe a Corolla.
Spoke to the person on duty (who was totally disinterested in his job and lack total customer service) and he said nothing he could do about it.
They stashed all their Infinity's in the upgrade area.

I did call the next day to speak to the manager, and even he had an disinterested view on this, did not want to bother to check and kept saying that he has no control over it.

I just grabbed an Avalon (with ~13000 miles on it).

So far this has been a rather poor location as far as my experience goes for a PC Ulti Choice.

Cheers!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 2, 2017 at 7:01 pm Reason: started new thread
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

Arrived midnight Friday (early Sat) last weekend, and the PC lot was half empty. Only available was an Avalon, Kia Optima, Hyundai Tuscon and I believe a Corolla.
Spoke to the person on duty (who was totally disinterested in his job and lack total customer service) and he said nothing he could do about it.
They stashed all their Infinity's in the upgrade area.

I did call the next day to speak to the manager, and even he had an disinterested view on this, did not want to bother to check and kept saying that he has no control over it.

I just grabbed an Avalon (with ~13000 miles on it).

So far this has been a rather poor location as far as my experience goes for a PC Ulti Choice.

Cheers!

I was there two weeks ago. Avalon is a decent car IMO. When I approached the desk, there were a few people in line, but an attendant standing in the garage asked my name, went inside right away, and brought me the keys to a newish 300C.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

On the day when I returned my car, early Sunday morning, they had a rather "interesting" selection in the PC lot, a 4Runner, an Explorer and a Camry. All the other spaces were empty.
Seems to be the most varied location I have been to from type of vehicles point of view.
Yes, the Avalon is not a bad car and I do agree it is does fit as car in this area, however what I did not like is the limited number of choices available. (maybe I am spoilt at the normal larger stations with more choices).

Cheers!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:34 am

Yes, the Avalon is not a bad car and I do agree it is does fit as car in this area, however what I did not like is the limited number of choices available. (maybe I am spoilt at the normal larger stations with more choices).
It's Albany, not a major tourist/airport. Honestly, the selection level is appropriate for an airport that size.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Just to update as I recently had 2 experience.

Thursday evening: Lots of Chrysler 300S, a Camry, a Corolla, Ford Explorer (which I took) and a pick-up

Saturday evening: Lots of Kia Sorrento (which was also in the 5* area), a Malibu, someone was pulling out with an Impala, a Ford Explorer and still the pick-up.

So it seems not too bad. Did ask about the Infiniti's and was told that they are never in the PC row - though the friendly agent said she will let her manager know.

Cheers!

Last edited by nldogbert; Jan 28, 2018 at 10:46 am
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:37 pm

I just got back from Saratoga Springs and flew in/out of ALB. The Gold Choice was mostly Corollas and Malibus; there was a lone Dodge Challenger that at least had a sunroof (I hate cars without a sunroof). On return it was pretty much the same, but there was an Explorer in the line up. In the upgrade section there were 2 Infiniti QX30s, a MB CLA and a Land Rover Discovery.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Just rented again at ALB over the weekend, this was a one-way rental - returning to BOS, so I was not "allowed" to pick any car from the PC section. I was told that it was because of the limited supplied at local airports - which is understandable. I was given a choice of cars from the F-group, a Sonata, RAV4 or Rogue. I opted for the Rogue for the SiriusXM availability. [which I just discovered this morning that there was a damage on at the bottom of the front bumper which I did not see yesterday - went back to the airport to report this and had to fill in an Incident Report. I had assumed that they would have kept records of reported damage of the car history]. Anyway will see what comes out of this.
For the PC section, the following cars were available on a Saturday evening.

PC section at ALB airport

The Explorer that was there a week ago was now in the Upgrade section together with what was reported by JLewisinSyr (were you in Saratoga for the Chowderfestival?)

Cheers!
Old Feb 8, 2018, 5:01 pm

The Explorer that was there a week ago was now in the Upgrade section together with what was reported by JLewisinSyr (were you in Saratoga for the Chowderfestival?)
Now, I was at a conference at the Masie Center in downtown Saratoga.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Hertz Albany PC choices
Hi,
Another update for this station, arrived early Tuesday morning and they filled up the PC area with lots of SUV's and for the first time, an Infinity Q60. Without hesitation I went for the Q60 - which brought up a small conversation with the agent that turned out to be the Manager on duty that morning and he thought a car in between the trucks and SUV's would be nice. Seems they just brought it up into the row that morning. There were other cars, a 300S and I believe an Impala (I did not really pay attention anymore after seeing the Q60).
So, looks like what is brought up depends on the Manager on Duty that day. (I arrived after midnight and did have a peak at the cars at that hour, and there was only 2 lone SUV's in the area).

Cheers!

Last edited by nldogbert; Feb 24, 2018 at 8:04 am Reason: Photo added
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Was returning my car last Saturday morning, and at the PC area, nothing exception except for a big GMC SUV, the rest were the normal F-cars that is normally available - Avalon, Maxima, 300S, etc. I guess I was lucky to have had the G4-class car when I picked it up last.
All-in-all, looks like this station is still a rather stingy station when it comes to offerings of better cars - but quite good in selection of SUV's and trucks.

Cheers!
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:54 am

Albany Rentals

For Presidents Circle Albany has a great lineup of cars, but the earlier your arriving flight the better. I have got numerous low mile cars; lots of Tahoes & Infinity.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by terrx
For Presidents Circle Albany has a great lineup of cars, but the earlier your arriving flight the better. I have got numerous low mile cars; lots of Tahoes & Infinity.
Wow, you must have a very lucky angel looking over you. (ok, I normally arrive late at night), but the last few times never seen an Infinity (except for the lucky time the last trip) and all the rest of the cars that I've picked up, had always more than 10k on the mileage.
Cheers!
Old May 30, 2018, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Am back again in ALB and on a Monday evening, (Memorial day), the PC lot was rather exciting..it had one of the most different variety of vehicles (note I did not use cars). From a Jeep Wrangler (which I was tempted to take, but decided not too due to performance), Subaru Legacy (which I picked, and as a first time driving the Legacy, I quite like it), Ford Escape, Camry, Buick (I am not sure which model it was, but another PC member on my flight grabbed that), Altima, Crysler 300s, and a couple more. I believe that there was also a pick-up.

Cheers!
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Friday evening

Hi,

Had to return my car and collect a new one on a Friday evening and wow, have not seen such a good selection. Ended up picking up the Mustang...so many choices which made it difficult as I had also wanted to test out the Charger, but also the Infinity Q30.

I asked and they said because they basically had no other cars available, even the Five Star section did not look too shabby.

Cheers!

PC selection at ALB.

Apologies for the bad photos, took it in a hurry.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Back again at ALB on a Sunday late afternoon, aorund 6pm. PC lot was full, but nothing too exciting (300S, Impala (which I took), Camry, Altima and a Rogue). The only other vehicles sticking out was a Wrangler, Dodge RAM truck and a Transverse.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.