Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Options if no car is available upon arrival?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Options if no car is available upon arrival?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Question Options if no car is available upon arrival?

I have an upcoming airport pickup booking with Hertz at BOS, but it appears Hertz is no longer selling vehicles for my dates/times (Error: We're sorry, there are not any vehicles available for this request. [DE34]) No Hertz availability on the OTAs either.

I am arriving on a late-arriving flight and this is a peak-demand weekend.

What are my options/rights if there is no car available for me when I arrive?

For reference, this is a prepaid booking and I am 5*
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:38 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

If you have a confirmed booking you should be just fine. Just because Hertz is at or near capacity and no longer allowing new reservations doesn't mean you will have a problem. This exact situation has happened more times than I can count and I've never had a problem getting a vehicle.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by woodford02A
I have an upcoming airport pickup booking with Hertz at BOS, but it appears Hertz is no longer selling vehicles for my dates/times (Error: We're sorry, there are not any vehicles available for this request. [DE34]) No Hertz availability on the OTAs either.

I am arriving on a late-arriving flight and this is a peak-demand weekend.

What are my options/rights if there is no car available for me when I arrive?

For reference, this is a prepaid booking and I am 5*
BOS isn't known to be one of the best-run stations, but as a major airport operation, it's very unlikely they'll simply tell you "too bad, so sad" (like a HLE might). You have three things going for you:

1) It's a major airport location with a large fleet. It's exceptionally unlikely they'll simply be out of cars. They might not have exactly what you want, but something's always coming and going.
2) You're 5*. 5* doesn't mean much, but if someone in the back office is doing their job, they'll assign you a car before other people. And if they don't, being elite means you can rightfully push them to get you a car before others in line.
3) You've prepaid. While non-prepaid reservations should be honored just the same as prepaid ones, in reality, the rental companies do prioritize prepaid ones, since they know they have your money and you won't no-show.

OTOH, you do have the fact that you're arriving late working against you. While the rental companies are open 24 hours, BOS more or less shuts down around midnight, IME, and with few (if any) departures at that hour, there aren't likely to be many returns coming in. So if the lot is bare, it might be harder to dig up a car than early in the day when there are a lot of people returning cars for their flights.

Be sure your flight information is listed in your Hertz reservation so they have accurate arrival information. That does make a difference with Hertz.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The practical answer is that the option is to check other on-site companies (which Hertz locally will help do). If there is no car, there is no car.

The flip side is, as noted, that the only way this happens at a major station this late is if a substantial number of renters do not turn their vehicle in and there are a lot of vehicles out of service. While this might be more likely if there is some traffic mess holding up returns, it's unlikely that by later on people haven't made it in because holding a vehicle over can get massively expensive for those on a rate with a return qualification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.