Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at PIT; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at PIT; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

PIT was very underwhelming yesterday. Literally all sedans except for 2 cars. Gold was full of compact cars, Five Star full of midsize, and PC full of full size. And they were all base trims, barebones models except for a couple. There were 2 Nissan Altima SVs with leather (PC), a Chevy Cruse Premier hatchback (5*), and a tired Chevy Tahoe with 34k miles in PC. (Paid upgrades were a Jaguar XE and a Infiniti Q50). Everything else was a stripped down sedan.

I get that Ultimate Choice is a poor man's Emerald Aisle and you can't expect more than the occasional Chrysler 300. But if it's literally just base-trim compact for Gold, base-trim midsize for 5*, and base-trim full-size for PC then what's the point of being a 5* or PC member?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Slightly better selection this morning. Two Infiniti Q50s in PC, the rest were all the same sedans I posted about yesterday. Not an SUV, minivan, or truck in sight.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Things are improving, at least in PC. The other day I saw a Cadillac Escalade in PC. It was next to an Escalade in the upgrade space so I confirmed that it was available for PC. It had about 22k miles and out of state plates. It was too big for me but whoever got it scored.

Next day I saw an Infiniti Q50 and a Dodge Challenger in PC. The other sections appeared to be the same Kia Souls and Nissan Sentras.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Was passing through PIT so I peeked at the Hertz aisle and saw sedans galore. Only 2 non-sedans in the whole place (Kia Sedona and Chevy Silverado in PC). Five Star got thrown a bone with an Impala V6. PC did have several Toyota Avalon which are better than the standard Camry fare. Upgrades were a Jaguar and a Q50.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Peeked at Hertz at PIT again Sunday. Normal assortment of sedans (including some high mileage full-size ones in Gold).

To my surprise there were 2 brand new Ford Taurus Limiteds in PC. I haven't seen a Taurus at Hertz in a couple years. I didn't want to turn them on to check the mileage but the one I looked at had heavy new car smell. I actually like the Taurus even though Ford is neglecting it, and it's good to know Hertz is adding more PCARS. There were a couple Avalons on the lot again too.

Upgrades were the same Jaguar and Q50. I don't know why anyone would pay $25/$35 a day for the Q50, it's just a fancy Altima.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by m907
I don't know why anyone would pay $25/$35 a day for the Q50, it's just a fancy Altima.
I don't think I'd pay $25/day more for it (maybe $10) but it's a lot quicker and more fun to drive than any Altima I've been in. (Though I haven't driven an Altima with the 3.5L engine.)
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
I don't think I'd pay $25/day more for it (maybe $10) but it's a lot quicker and more fun to drive than any Altima I've been in. (Though I haven't driven an Altima with the 3.5L engine.)
True, but if I'm going to spend the extra money I'd rather go for something unique like a Jaguar or Mercedes or something.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

PIT was decently stocked the other night. Didn't get a good look but I saw a Chrysler Pacifica Limited, Chevy Suburban LT, and base Ford Explorer and an Impala and Taurus Limited among others in PC. Saw a Ford Escape in Gold and lots of the normal sedans.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
I don't know why anyone would pay $25/$35 a day for the Q50, it's just a fancy Altima.
The Q50 and Altima are totally different cars on different platforms, there's a day and night difference between how they drive. The Q50 is rear/all wheel drive with turbocharged 4 or 6 cyl engine and has a double wishbone front suspension. The Altima is front wheel drive only, no turbo engines, has a simple suspension design and has an annoying CVT transmission. The Q50 3.0t is one of my favorite rentals, it takes off like a scaled cat, is quiet and comfortable, and much more stable at high speeds than an Altima.
jackal likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xienon
The Q50 and Altima are totally different cars on different platforms, there's a day and night difference between how they drive. The Q50 is rear/all wheel drive with turbocharged 4 or 6 cyl engine and has a double wishbone front suspension. The Altima is front wheel drive only, no turbo engines, has a simple suspension design and has an annoying CVT transmission. The Q50 3.0t is one of my favorite rentals, it takes off like a scaled cat, is quiet and comfortable, and much more stable at high speeds than an Altima.
Interesting, I didn't know that. I'll have to try the Q50 next time I see one.

On another note, the selection at PIT was pretty good again. Two Infiniti models, another Pacifica Limited, two Avalons in PC. Didn't get a good look down the line but spotted in Five Star an Avalon and...another last-gen Chevy Impala. They keep popping up.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Interesting, I didn't know that. I'll have to try the Q50 next time I see one.
Look for the 3.0t badging on the sides, just behind the forward wheel well. The 2.0t is OK for a tiny engine but the 3.0t is really what makes that car sing.
m907 likes this.

Last edited by jackal; Mar 22, 2018 at 5:36 pm
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jackal
Look for the 3.0 badging on the sides, just behind the forward wheel well. The 2.0t is OK for a tiny engine but the 3.0t is really what makes that car sing.
The RWD version of the 3.0t Q50 can do pretty good burnouts
jackal likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Selection at PIT has been a lot more interesting lately, at least at night when I've been there. I've been seeing a healthy mix of SUVs, sedans, and vans in each section (no more Altima/Impala fest).

PC I've been seeing a few Suburbans/Tahoes, Challengers, even a couple RAM Hemis to go along with the regular Altimas and Impalas.

Five Star I've been seeing more full size sedans, some SUVs, and a minivan or two. Think Ford Escape, Kia Sedona, etc.

Gold is where things get dicey, lots of midsize sedans. But I've seen a Jeep or two back there and a Chrysler Pacifica Limited a couple times.

Funniest sighting lately was two Chevy Express 12-passenger vans. One in PC, one in Five Star.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Not much going on in the late afternoon earlier this week. PC had two Dodge Challengers, one V6 with a leather interior and one Hemi with a cloth interior. Doubt they were in high demand in the snow. Chrysler Pacifica in Five Star, a nicely optioned Ram truck in Gold for some reason. Other than that, all the usual suspects (Pathfinders, Malibus, etc.)

A note about those Chevy Express vans, I kept seeing them in the same spots for 2 or 3 weeks before they disappeared. Either someone actually wanted one or they finally just took them off.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

At PIT this morning, PC had a Dodge Challenger R/T, Chrysler 300, Jeep Wrangler, and a GMC Yukon along with the expected cars. Five Star had a couple Jeep Cherokee Limited and a couple large sedans, and some large sedans and small SUVs in Gold as well. This location does a good job of putting some decent cars in each tier, not just PC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.