Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reward reservation calcellation policy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Reward reservation calcellation policy?

Called CSR and told me that I need to cancel my reward reservation 24hrs prior.

An agent reserved me a FS (Full Size) car and made a note for an upgrade to a minivan. If this will work, I do not want to rent a minivan using points as prices are so low.

What is the best way to get this done - I should be ok even if I get a SUV preferably large size.

If the minivan is available, will they still give it to me given my reservation is FS - I am a Five Star member.

Update:
I meant Full size

Last edited by sciconf; Sep 5, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If your booking is for a full sized car ( assuming FS means full sized and not a car category of FS) , then there would be no expectation of any complimentary upgrade

Whether the location will allow you to pay extra for an upgraded vehicle is down to the location

I am confused though - if you do not want a minivan, why have a request in the booking for one?

Since vehicles such as SUVs and vans are outside the complimentary upgrade categories, if definitely wanting one of that type, then would be best to book one up front
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

@Dave Noble
Yes full size

I did book a minivan using points. But prices are so cheap for a full size weekend rental - I am thinking of getting it for an additional day if they would give a free upgrade.

What price is worth using points instead of cash?
Right now, can get minivan for $52-57/day.

About 7 cents/point

What is exactly the reward reservation cancellation policy - I got two versions from two people.

Last edited by sciconf; Sep 5, 2017 at 6:28 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:30 pm

Since Full Size is the maximum class to which upgrades are given under the 5* benefits, I would not be booking a Full Size with any expectation that a complimentary upgrade will be given, but that the vehicle provided will be a Full Size vehicle

Cancellation policy depends on what it was at the time of booking; if you book online, it will inform you if there is a cancellation policy that requires 24 hours notice. Hertz is putting cancellation deadlines in some reservations

If when you booked, it was informed that there was a 24 hour cancellation requirement, then that is probably what it is for that particular rental
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:53 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

As Dave Noble pointed out, a complimentary upgrade to a Minivan is highly unlikely unless:

a) They have a ton of them they want to get rid of

-or-

b) You're booking at an Ultimate Choice location and there happens to be one in the UC area

I don't particularly think that $52-$57 per day is a particularly good price on a Minivan, but it really depends on the location and time of year. We've certainly seen far lower than that.

Note that large SUVs are much more desirable than Minivans so the chances of getting an upgrade to that with a Fullsize reservation are even lower than the Minivan.

Bottom line, if you won't be happy with the Fullsize you reserved, and don't want to upgrade out of pocket, you should consider booking what will meet your needs from the get-go.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Cancellation policy depends on what it was at the time of booking; if you book online, it will inform you if there is a cancellation policy that requires 24 hours notice. Hertz is putting cancellation deadlines in some reservations

If when you booked, it was informed that there was a 24 hour cancellation requirement, then that is probably what it is for that particular rental
I thought if u don't pay cash in full, then you can even no-show?
Question was what is if paid with points (cancellation so that u can get the points)?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by sciconf
Question was what is if paid with points (cancellation so that u can get the points)?
Hertz is reportedly applying cancellation policies on some rentals
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
If you don't prepay the reservation, and it's a cash reservation, then (in general) you can just no-show. Hertz has been experimenting with cancellation fees, but they're still relatively uncommon.

If you use points, and don't cancel at least 24 hours in advance, then you forfeit the points.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123

If you use points, and don't cancel at least 24 hours in advance, then you forfeit the points.
How do u guys deal with this?
Also renting using points, at least 1 day notice - can't use points for emergency!
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
How do u guys deal with this?
Also renting using points, at least 1 day notice - can't use points for emergency!
I don't use points for an emergency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.