Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Vehicle Upgrades and Experiences for Elites Master Thread and Guide

Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:32 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others

This thread will serve for as a guide and master thread for members' experiences with Hertz.
We decided to close the other 2 threads ( "Hertz President's Circle Member Experiences" and "Post Your Free Vehicle Upgrades Here") as information was harder to search and find (posts were made for locations that there were dedicated threads for, and the 2 threads were overlapping)

A few (small) guidelines:
With the closing of the "Hertz President's Circle Member Experiences" and "Post Your Free Vehicle Upgrades Here", this thread will serve as a place to post your Hertz experiences along with any upgrades.
There are dedicated threads for locations where many frequent. This can be found here:
List of "Renting at ---; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Threads List (it can also be found at the top of the Hertz forum). PLEASE check that thread list to see if any of the locations have a dedicated thread before posting here.

If one location seems to be getting many posts here, anyone can message a mod (or use the alert option) to notify us that we should start a dedicated thread (and move the posts over to the new thread) for the location.

Thank You,
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
​​

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 19, 2019 at 4:00 am
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:01 pm

BIO (Bilbao, Spain)
PC
Reserved: CDMR, Seat Leon, Manual
Offered: Fiat 500X, Manual, Diesel
Asked for automatic, received: Opel Mokka X, Automatic, GPS at no charge
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:54 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
NYC HLE (403 Lafayette)

Reserved: C
Received: 2019 Q4 Hyundai Tucson AWD Value with NY plates, 460 miles on the odometer, and working Sirius/XM. I was offered a Toyota Avalon but preferred an SUV for my errands and possible snow tonight.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Picked up from the HLE in Manhattan on 48th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues last Sunday. I had a FCAR reservation with a drop off at JFK. They gave me a Nissan Rogue with leather and heated seats and low mileage and a full tank. The car wasn't ready when I arrived but I only had two wait two minutes for them to pull it around. The agent had the contract and keys ready, she just glanced at my license and that was it. I really like that these locations are open all day Sunday too.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Two new locations this week.

- Columbus, GA Airport (CSG). The airport gets three flights a day from ATL so obviously is tiny. The agent had my keys and contract ready, I just flashed my license. My SCAR reservation got me a really disappointing Chevy Malibu with 43,709 miles, that smelled heavily of smoke and had a 7/8s tank. I was smart enough to fill it up 40 miles away so I could bring it back on 7/8s.

- Alexandria, LA Airport (AEX). The airport is slightly bigger than the one above but not by much. A similar experience though where the agent had my keys and contract and I just showed the license. This time on a SCAR rez I got a Chevy Impala Premier with Sirius XM and only 13,000 miles. I was much happier with this, obviously.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
NYC HLE
Reserved: F
Received: 2019 Toyota Highlander XLE AWD (F4)

Brand new (152 miles), seems to have all the bells and whistles. Very nice. Was amazed, though, that the car doesn't have CarPlay/Android Auto. Turns out, almost no Toyotas do, it's an automaker thing, not a Hertz thing. Crazy.

Last edited by cestmoi123; Feb 19, 2019 at 6:47 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:30 pm

Des Moines Airport (DSM) last Saturday. I had an SCAR reservation and received an email a couple hours before arrival which said I'd been assigned a Nissan Maxima with leather. The car was dirty on the inside but was otherwise fine and had only 19,000 miles on the odometer.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: HH, SPG
Originally Posted by CMK10
Des Moines Airport (DSM) last Saturday. I had an SCAR reservation and received an email a couple hours before arrival which said I'd been assigned a Nissan Maxima with leather. The car was dirty on the inside but was otherwise fine and had only 19,000 miles on the odometer.
Only 19k miles
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by wadewei
Only 19k miles
Saying I had a Malibu with 43,000 earlier this month, I'm counting my blessings for being at a tertiary airport and getting a car with 19,000
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
SNA again last night. Booked a Fullsize Car. Was assigned a Toyota Highlander, not my ideal car - wanted something a bit smaller. Went through the options with the agent and was offered a Malibu or a Buick Encore (small SUV type) - took the Buick. Has 40K plus miles on it :/ I had walked the lot prior to going up to the desk, offered some "suggestions" as to what cars I would like to swtich to but they were all spoken for according to the rep.

Seems this location is hit or miss on PC's being assigned something at least similar to your reserved class. I don't think I will go out of my way to fly into SNA again if I am renting a car.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by jtav559
SNA again last night. Booked a Fullsize Car. Was assigned a Toyota Highlander, not my ideal car - wanted something a bit smaller. Went through the options with the agent and was offered a Malibu or a Buick Encore (small SUV type) - took the Buick. Has 40K plus miles on it :/ I had walked the lot prior to going up to the desk, offered some "suggestions" as to what cars I would like to swtich to but they were all spoken for according to the rep.

Seems this location is hit or miss on PC's being assigned something at least similar to your reserved class. I don't think I will go out of my way to fly into SNA again if I am renting a car.
Seems like they did OK to me - offered you what most people would regard as an upgrade (a Highlander), then offered you what you had reserved (a Malibu) and another option, which you took. PC aren't entitled to an upgrade above full size, so anything beyond that is gravy.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Seems like they did OK to me - offered you what most people would regard as an upgrade (a Highlander), then offered you what you had reserved (a Malibu) and another option, which you took. PC aren't entitled to an upgrade above full size, so anything beyond that is gravy.
Oh, I am not saying what they did was bad or unappreciated. I love catching an upgrade when I can, and I do understand that they are not obligated to do so past the prescribed level of car. Another day and destination, I would have taken the assigned Highlander in a heartbeat!

I think my main gripe was that the car I was given as an upgrade was well past its prime with 40K miles, pretty stale smell, and some cosmetic damage to the outside I noticed once I got to my hotel. You would think they would retire it at some point? Had I known that was what I was switching to.... well I might have kept my original assignment! Always a roll of the dice I suppose. If I had paid for and reserved that specific car - a luxury small SUV - I would have asked to see other options based on its condition at time of rental.

The point I was trying to get across was... when I see a parking lot busting at the seams with cars and not a lot of reservations on the board, I would hope they would offer some flexibility for switching me into another option. That flexibility seems to vary location to location (and rep to rep as well). Still happy with PC from an overall perspective however.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by jtav559
If I had paid for and reserved that specific car - a luxury small SUV - I would have asked to see other options based on its condition at time of rental.
I would not call a Toyota Highlander a luxury SUV...
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:49 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
NYC HLE (403 Lafayette)

Reserved: C
Received: 2018 F Toyota Camry LE with NY plates and 18,000 miles on the odometer. It's been a while since I last drove a Camry (and this was my first of the current body style). The LE is a basic model (no Sirius/XM) but I was impressed by the overall driving experience and peppy four-banger engine (with 35 mpg). I fit right in with all the Uber drivers driving in Manhattan.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:17 pm

And actually, I think a lot of those Camrys, Altimas, and Fusions from rental fleets ultimately get sold to Uber drivers. These customers are presumably more interested in a cost effective car than a low mileage one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.