Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz President's Circle Member Experiences (2017-Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz President's Circle Member Experiences (2017-Onward)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Are upgrades guaranteed for President's circle members? This is so confusing. Twitter team is saying it's subject to availability. But the website clearly indicates that it's confirmed. I pointed them to that website and they keep saying it's subject to availability. So what is the actual policy?
Part of the issue here is Hertz, and every company that isn't 'select what you want' has so many car classes they can say you GOT an upgrade with all kinds of car. "Oh you booked a Corolla but we put you in a Sonata which has cruise, Satellite Radio and Bluetooth standard so it's nicer."
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Part of the issue here is Hertz, and every company that isn't 'select what you want' has so many car classes they can say you GOT an upgrade with all kinds of car. "Oh you booked a Corolla but we put you in a Sonata which has cruise, Satellite Radio and Bluetooth standard so it's nicer."
My "upgrade" at SFO last year (on my Midsize reservation) was to a Sentra SV. That was pretty much when I bailed for National. I think the WORST car I have had from National (with at least one rental every week) since last May was probably an Impala LT.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
My "upgrade" at SFO last year (on my Midsize reservation) was to a Sentra SV. That was pretty much when I bailed for National. I think the WORST car I have had from National (with at least one rental every week) since last May was probably an Impala LT.
And I think the Hertz Ultimate Choice is to combat this kind of move. Generally speaking I think people like to just choose a car they want from an area reserved for them.

And with different status tiers Hertz simply has to put 1 or 2 'nice' cars, IE an Infiniti, Volvo or something like that, in the area and people feel good about the status. I can tell you if I go to PC and there is an Infiniti SUV I'd choose something else but would still feel good the option existed.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Hertz Not Properly Honoring Upgrades for President's Circle Members?

So Hertz clearly has no intention to comply with their advertised upgrade policy for President's Circle members. According to this page: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/ememb...umGoldbenefits there's clearly a difference between Five Star and President's Circle with regard to upgrades. The difference is that upgrades for President's Circle are confirmed.

Every person I've spoken with about this (I've called in to both Hertz and the individual location, and I've done a live chat) keeps telling me that upgrades are subject to availability. When I point them to this web page they basically say the same thing: upgrades are subject to availability.

So, I'm considering filing a claim against them. I was hoping for your opinions (not necessarily legal conclusions, just thoughts on whether they actually follow the policy). Basically, I'm looking to be convinced that they aren't actually violating what they're advertising. The terms specifically state upgrade to the next car class, so while I understand that they may consider a GPS unit in a car an "upgrade" I am not accepting that. Also, the car they gave me definitely didn't have anything they could claim as an "upgrade" unless a 1/8 full tank is an upgrade over a full tank. Additionally, the refusal to even acknowledge the stated policy is indicative of their practices in my opinion.

I'm not actually looking for compensation personally, but I want to force them to update their policy, and maybe take a hit for systematic failure to follow advertised benefits.

Convince me that my idea is a loser.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 19, 2017 at 6:01 am Reason: retitled thread for clarity
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
So Hertz clearly has no intention to comply with their advertised upgrade policy for President's Circle members. According to this page: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/ememb...umGoldbenefits there's clearly a difference between Five Star and President's Circle with regard to upgrades. The difference is that upgrades for President's Circle are confirmed.

Every person I've spoken with about this (I've called in to both Hertz and the individual location, and I've done a live chat) keeps telling me that upgrades are subject to availability. When I point them to this web page they basically say the same thing: upgrades are subject to availability.

So, I'm considering filing a claim against them. I was hoping for your opinions (not necessarily legal conclusions, just thoughts on whether they actually follow the policy). Basically, I'm looking to be convinced that they aren't actually violating what they're advertising. The terms specifically state upgrade to the next car class, so while I understand that they may consider a GPS unit in a car an "upgrade" I am not accepting that. Also, the car they gave me definitely didn't have anything they could claim as an "upgrade" unless a 1/8 full tank is an upgrade over a full tank. Additionally, the refusal to even acknowledge the stated policy is indicative of their practices in my opinion.

I'm not actually looking for compensation personally, but I want to force them to update their policy, and maybe take a hit for systematic failure to follow advertised benefits.

Convince me that my idea is a loser.
Not a lawyer and not familiar with the inns and outs of the Gold Plus terms of service but I suspect there is little recourse here.

More importantly, and I mean this coming from someone who is genuinely infuriated by this kind of blatantly misleading advertising, I'd say just let it go and move on with your life, including not booking with Hertz. Even if successful this kind of thing would drag on for years and I suspect would be more heartache than satisfaction.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The terms specifically state upgrade to the next car class, so while I understand that they may consider a GPS unit in a car an "upgrade" I am not accepting that. Also, the car they gave me definitely didn't have anything they could claim as an "upgrade" unless a 1/8 full tank is an upgrade over a full tank. Additionally, the refusal to even acknowledge the stated policy is indicative of their practices in my opinion.
What booking category was the car you booked and what category was the car provided

If it was a higher category, then - regardless of what you class as a acceptable as an upgrade - you got an upgrade

Also, there is a limit on upgrade classes ; if you booked a full size vehicle, then there is nothing to upgrade to

If you received a car in the same category, then contact customer relations and ask for reimbusement back to a lower class
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What booking category was the car you booked and what category was the car provided

If it was a higher category, then - regardless of what you class as a acceptable as an upgrade - you got an upgrade

Also, there is a limit on upgrade classes ; if you booked a full size vehicle, then there is nothing to upgrade to

If you received a car in the same category, then contact customer relations and ask for reimbusement back to a lower class
Charged: C
Rented: YC
Reserved: C

YC appears to be the same as C.

Hertz shouldn't just be able to pay the difference of cost and only for the people who complain through four different venues. If the cost on Hertz is $55 for intermediate and $65 for full, and the price on National is $35 for intermediate and $60 for full, wouldn't you say that the appropriate resolution is for Hertz to pay $20 ($55-$35) not $10 ($65-$55)?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So , you did get an upgrade it seems, YC is not C

The appropriate recompense is between prices that Hertz charges, not what another company charges.

If not an upgrade, as defined by Hertz (Guaranteed one-car-class upgrade) , then a refund down to the group B price would be reasonably claimed

Speak to customer relations and get a definitive answer on what is required by an upgrade

Personally, when I have got to a location that cannot provide an upgrade, it automatically charges me for the class lower

Last edited by Dave Noble; Apr 3, 2017 at 3:23 pm
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
So , you did get an upgrade it seems, YC is not C

YC , in USA, iirc is charged at a higher rate than C

The appropriate recompense is between prices that Hertz charges, not what another company charges.
Interesting, ok, I guess if what I got is an upgrade, Hertz doesn't meet my needs. I guess it's back to picking the cheapest price at any vendor for what I need. Appreciate it, although it does still bother me that no other representative even acknowledged the fact that upgrades are guaranteed as opposed to based upon availability.

Also, you've convinced me
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:49 pm

There's nothing stopping you from suing them, if you believe that you have been wronged. Anybody can sue anyone, for pretty much anything.

Are you a lawyer yourself? If not, are you willing to front the cost of the suit? It looks to me to be something unlikely to achieve "class" status - and even if it did, the lawyers would be the only ones to come away with more than a Starbucks gift card. If you are just looking for compensatory damages for yourself, you need to keep in mind that attorney's fees are not automatically awarded - nor are punitive damages. You could very well win the amount that you can prove you are "out" while spending thousands more than that for the privilege.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Charged: C
Rented: YC
Reserved: C....
You did get an insignificant upgrade but you still complain? I often don't get any upgrade at all in NYC. I have been PC for 5+ years.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know if Hertz defines it online, but C to YC should not be considered an upgrade in "car class" which is what the benefit provides. They are both in the same car-class, mid-size.

I like the idea of forcing them to adjust the rate down one level if they can't provide an upgrade, though I don't know if they'll have access to the same rates at the time of booking. Either way, this will probably only be worth a few dollars per day.

One alternative is to use National, where their lower-level elite status gives you the same guaranteed upgrade benefit by letting you reserve a full-size (the largest size Hertz upgrade anyway) at the mid-size rate. Again, doesn't save you much money, but it's guaranteed.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

I am glad Hertz is going to UC at a lot of locations I use. This is one of the biggest reasons why. Lateral 'upgrades'. Book Corolla and get a Sonata as a claimed upgrade. They have so many classes now that they could likely claim everything is an upgrade.

Because of this I am going to try Hertz for the remainder of the year and see what happens. After that back to whoever is cheapest. The time saved standing in line sometimes isn't worth the BS from the rental agencies.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I am glad Hertz is going to UC at a lot of locations I use. This is one of the biggest reasons why. Lateral 'upgrades'. Book Corolla and get a Sonata as a claimed upgrade. They have so many classes now that they could likely claim everything is an upgrade.
Corolla is an Intermediate, Sonata is a Full Size. You may not like the car any better, but it's still a legitimate upgrade.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SixAlpha
Corolla is an Intermediate, Sonata is a Full Size. You may not like the car any better, but it's still a legitimate upgrade.
I don't know all the Hyundai models. I am talking about the Compact/Midsize. Accent? Whatever one practically has manual windows, no cruise and the like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.