Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz President's Circle Member Experiences (2017-Onward)

Hertz President's Circle Member Experiences (2017-Onward)

Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by matt85
Regarding the one-class upgrade for PC, up to full size: How are mid-size vs standard-size SUV folded into that? Are those categories already both considered above full-size, and therefore no upgrade would apply; or should I as PC expect to get a standard SUV when I book a mid-size?
No upgrade on SUVs. You'll get whatever class you book.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by BeatCal
What is the difference between platinum and president's circle? I know with platinum they pick you up at airport
As a point of reference, here is my most recent rental and upgrade experience as a Platinum.

I reserved a Midsize (C) for 8 days. Arrived at the Platinum desk and my wife saw a Range Rover Sport that she liked. She actually negotiated the upgrade cost (which seems to have been greatly reduced).

The agent brought a Range Rover around for us. I verified that this was the car they were giving us, because it was the full size Rover, not the RR Sport. Everything was good to go and we left. Had a great trip. Of course, my wife said "hmmm, that was easy, maybe I should have tried for the Mercedes G550" lol
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:11 pm

How much was the upgrade and what location? Great car for a long trip!
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL PM
Has anyone else experienced long (20+ minute) exit gate wait times? I recently had a long wait in AUS, and the past few weeks in ATL (all times 20+ minutes). Today in ATL there were ~10 cars in each of the 3 lanes that were open. The line was backed up to the bottom of the ramp coming down from the garage.

It kinda defeats the purpose of being PC, or even gold at all when the exit gate gets clogged up.

Last edited by j.bell; Aug 24, 2018 at 9:12 pm Reason: Clarify location
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
A miserable couple of weeks!

I am posting this as a salutary lesson to myself more than anything.

3 USA rentals ( I am British) totalling 23 days in the USA booked many months ago as PC member on pre paid basis with 1 four day weekend using my points. I only ever pay with Amex Platinum for the insurance cover and peace of mind.

Hire 1. Philadelphia Marriott pick up with drop off in DC next day.

Get to desk at 9am and provide them with reservation details. All is well and then asked for my credit card. I pop Amex into machine and agents says..."No I need the card you paid with! .......I look dumbfounded - look at the card - then look at my Amex statement on line.....yep paid for using Amex Platinum......but.......some time after I had booked and paid I recall having to have said Amex card replaced as it had split. Seems that Amex had changed the number but I never picked this up and so now I have a card, my PC number, licence and can show statement for payment...but I am not getting a car.

Agent then makes a phone call and there the follows lots of typing and chatting. "they are sorting out" she says.

"Will I have same issue in Hawaii" I ask......I will later regret every having asked that question or indeed having rented from Hertz.

She asks for the reservation details and within seconds my Amex app pings up a note that I miss-read as a "refund" - but is in fact a charge for over $1500 on card they wouldn't accept for the prepaid rental and without me ever giving them the card or permission.

Because I have miss interpreted the notice I drive off in a nice upgrade. Next day I deliver to Radisson in DC where there is no agent and a queue of around 12 people all looking for a pick up but they have no cars and the staff are away looking for them. I wait almost 30 mins to drop off the car. The final invoice arrives by email some time later and is for more than double the pre paid rate I had already paid for!

Hire 2.

On arrival in Hawaii (KOA) I get off the plane to find a rental agreement on email and a further $200 charged to my card!! Discussions with staff are fruitless and pointless and I am told to call customer relations the next day. I don't get an upgrade on the vehicle I have now paid over $2400 for.

So I drive off with a 14 day rental.

I register my displeasure with customer relations the next day and they say they will investigate.

Two weeks pass and nothing from customer relations so I return the car to Hertz.

Hire 3 ...also KOA. I return to Hertz KOA for the 4 day points weekend.

Incredibly the points hire is also charged and at and eye watering $750!!!! but at least this time the staff are more switched on and promise a resolution. They allow me to retain the car I have had which is an upgrade of sorts.

I then call amex to challenge the charges.

Amex refund in full the 1 day rental in Philadelphia without quibble but want to investigate the larger issue.

I return the rental on the 20th and Hertz KOA staff are brilliant and sort out the points issue and even waive the taxes.

Hertz Customer relations are dire however and after almost a month have only now begun to make refunds to ensure that they honour the pre booked rates.

So a lesson learnt. Make sure you have the same credit card and if not call them before you pick up and make sure its changed.

I really cannot believe that it was so difficult for them to manage this particularly for a PC member.

Its not something I will let happen again.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by j.bell
Has anyone else experienced long (20+ minute) exit gate wait times? I recently had a long wait in AUS, and the past few weeks in ATL (all times 20+ minutes). Today in ATL there were ~10 cars in each of the 3 lanes that were open. The line was backed up to the bottom of the ramp coming down from the garage.

It kinda defeats the purpose of being PC, or even gold at all when the exit gate gets clogged up.
Horrendous at ATL a few weeks back on a Tuesday morning. The car in front of me took 10 minutes.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 30, 2018 at 7:43 pm Reason: image removal
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Agreed. I don’t know what been going on in ATL over the last couple of weeks but the exit lines are ridiculous at this point. They should have a separate exit for plat and pc.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by mdbe
Agreed. I don’t know what been going on in ATL over the last couple of weeks but the exit lines are ridiculous at this point. They should have a separate exit for plat and pc.
The one good thing at ATL is you can see the line for the hertz exit from the train - from now on I will make parallel Avis/hertz reservations and decide based on the line.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
LAX booked a standard SUV w/ car seat. Got a Carfirmation with stall number for Explorer. Then 10 min later get one saying go to counter for car seat and to pick out car. I ran over to the stall and saw the Explorer with the seat so we just loaded up and drove out. Nothing in the PC section I would have wanted to take 4 of us with luggage to Disneyland so it was fine.
Great...I was hoping for something good for next weekend. Will report back to see what I get at LAX over labor day weekend.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Picked up a car at TOL this weekend. Agent had my contract printed and keys ready and after I flashed my license I was directed to the lot (I love when it's so quick at small airports). My Standard reservation got me a Malibu with 3,000 miles and Sirius XM so I was happy.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Rented a ford edge at MSY yesterday. Today a tire pressure light came on, the left rear tire is 10lb under. Can't see any apparent puncture. Since I am close to the airport, if i go and request a replacement, will they charge me for the flat?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
Rented a ford edge at MSY yesterday. Today a tire pressure light came on, the left rear tire is 10lb under. Can't see any apparent puncture. Since I am close to the airport, if i go and request a replacement, will they charge me for the flat?
I had the warning lights come on about 5 minutes past the Detroit airport after picking up the car as I'm just getting up to speed on the interstate highway. I turned around and exchanged the car no questions asked.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by kaw753
Horrendous at ATL a few weeks back on a Tuesday morning. The car in front of me took 10 minutes.
I would have started laying on the horn well before that point...
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by jackal
I would have started laying on the horn well before that point...
What exactly would you expect that to accomplish?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Hertz Traverse City Airport (TVC)
August 2018
Booked a full-size for a 1-way from TVC to Flint; no car was assigned on arrival. They gave me a Chevrolet Suburban with 11,000 miles on it and all the bells and whistles because they had nothing but Chevrolet Malibu sedans.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.