Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at OGG (Maui); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at OGG (Maui); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Aug 23, 2022, 11:17 am

Has anyone been through the PC area at OGG lately? I arrive on 8/30 and am nervous about current selection/availability based on previous reports. I need a van or bigger for my family.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 11:57 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Kevin Smith !

My personal advise is that expecting to find a large vehicle via PC Ultimate Choice is a dicey proposition, especially in Hawaii. There's not a lot of surplus inventory during the summer peak season so if you need a minivan or large SUV, you should reserve that class.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Monday noon - noting really notable in PC or 5*. Mostly chargers and 300s in PC. Closest thing to a SUV is Kicks and an Escape with 2,500 miles which I picked.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:31 pm

Just picked up from PC this past Monday 9/5

Can confirm that PC was as described above; Primarily Chargers/Challengers + a 300S. Oddball choices were a Lincoln (Continental?) and a 2020 Sonata Limited which I ended up taking. The Sonata was not in great shape overall (16.5K miles on the clock), but brakes worked well on Road to Hana and Ventilated seats blow ice cold.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 2:55 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP, National EE, Hertz PC
Arrived 9/20/22 in the afternoon. PC had the typical Chargers and Altimas, with a couple SUVs sprinkled in. On the opposite side, Five Star aisle was the real winner with a Pacifica and two Mercedes GLCs - I grabbed one of the Mercs.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 3:04 pm

Programs: IHG RA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver
Arrived yesterday (11/15/23), had a standard SUV (L) reserved, have PC status.

Name wasnt on the board. Greeter in the garage directed us to the PC and 5* lanes. Selection wasnt great, the usual Chryslers, challengers, and unremarkable sedans. There were a couple minivans. Only SUVs were an older QX60 and older QX50.

Asked what other SUVs were available and they directed us to pick anything from the Hertz SUV (2) and Thrifty SUV (7) lanes.

Hertz SUV lane was basically empty. We took a 2020 Chevy Blazer from Thrifty lane since it was the only option that had CarPlay and didnt have a smell.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 11:53 pm

RICH SELECTIONS BOTH PC and 5*

PC:
MB GLC 300 - 25000mi
Cadd XT5 400 - 34000mi
Dodge Challenger RT HEMI - 20000mi

5*
Cadd XT5 400 - 35000mi
Dodge Charger GT - didnt check miles

Data point from 12/14/22 at OGG.
Eventually took MB GLC 300.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 2:24 pm

Sounds like the GLC is the winner based on our experiences. Probably the same one I drove around in August.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:34 pm

Disappointing UC selection if youre looking for anything besides a sedan. All SUVs were parked in other lanes. 12/21 ~11am

PC - Challenger R/T, Charger R/T, Altima, Chevy Bolt, Other FCA sedans

5*/Gold - Dodge RAM, Camaro SS, Hyundai Ioniq 1st gen (possibly a hybrid), dont recall what else - but nothing interesting
Old Feb 1, 2023, 11:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Lots of selection in PC & 5* Monday evening around 11pm. Large (7 seat) and midsize SUVs, lots of sedans. Even a Mercedes 2 seater (SL200 or similar) on the PC side. Both aisles full of cars so lots of choice.
oftech likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 1:44 am

Arrived Wed 2/15 around noon. Not a lot of selection but there was a little of everything. PC had a Dodge Charger, a Ford Mustang convertible, a Chevy Blazer, a Chrysler Pacifica, and the interesting things were 2x MB SLC300 convertibles and a Chevy Bolt EV, which I took because I wanted to try an EV and my suitcases sadly wouldn’t fit in the SLCs. 5* had a bunch of Nissan Kicks, 2 Nissan Altimas, a Nissan Maxima and the rest of it was forgettable. Was a little worried about being able to find an EV charger but it actually wasn’t that bad and I spent about 1/3 of what I would have spent on gas to charge up the car before returning it.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:42 pm
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
Originally Posted by berkeleysquirrel
Arrived Wed 2/15 around noon. Not a lot of selection but there was a little of everything. PC had a Dodge Charger, a Ford Mustang convertible, a Chevy Blazer, a Chrysler Pacifica, and the interesting things were 2x MB SLC300 convertibles and a Chevy Bolt EV, which I took because I wanted to try an EV and my suitcases sadly wouldnt fit in the SLCs. 5* had a bunch of Nissan Kicks, 2 Nissan Altimas, a Nissan Maxima and the rest of it was forgettable. Was a little worried about being able to find an EV charger but it actually wasnt that bad and I spent about 1/3 of what I would have spent on gas to charge up the car before returning it.
How did it work when returning the car? With a gas car you need to fill up the tank, but that isn't practical with an EV.

I am debating renting an EV from Hertz Maui this month. My hotels have free charging and valet parking which will handle it, but I am not sure how the return will work
Old Mar 14, 2023, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Arrived in the morning and PC was pretty sparse. There were two Chevy bolt EVs, which we took one of because our hotel has charging. There was also a Mercedes SLC which had 30k miles and had a tiny trunk so we didnt not take it. There was also a dodge charger but no SUVs or other interesting cars.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by LifetimeUpgrade
How did it work when returning the car? With a gas car you need to fill up the tank, but that isn't practical with an EV.

I am debating renting an EV from Hertz Maui this month. My hotels have free charging and valet parking which will handle it, but I am not sure how the return will work
Hertz just requires you to return the car with at least 70% charge. When you return it and the return agent sees it's not full, they might question it but just mention that it's an electric car and you'll be good to go. My final invoice said I returned it 7/8 (I ended up returning it with 75% charge) but there were no extra charges on the invoice. FYI, if the hotel charging is too slow and you need to top up quicker before returning to the airport, there's two different level 3 chargers near the airport - one at Queen Ka'ahumanu Center near the Macy's side of the parking lot and one at Maui Electric HQ in front of their office building. You'll need to set up an account on the Shell Recharge app if you don't already have one but it's fairly easy to do and the price was reasonable for Hawaii - 28 cents per kWh. Of course if you end up getting a Tesla then you can just go to those chargers in Lahaina or Wailea.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:16 pm

4/26/23 Maui PC mostly chargers and 300s, QX60, Bolt EV, Kia K5.

in the upgrade area has some larger cars and seemingly new GLC but didnt inquire how much the difference would be.

ended up getting the Kia K5 and was super new at 160mi. Was just purchased 2 weeks ago per the registration. Considered getting the Bolt EV but had a weird scent and the K5 was newer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.