Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at OGG (Maui); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at OGG (Maui); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Anyone with recent experience at the 5* area of Hertz? Have a reservation on Dec 26th and this will be my first time in OGG using Hertz.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
According to their website OGG does not have Ultimate Choice anymore.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by estedman
According to their website OGG does not have Ultimate Choice anymore.
Even though their website does not have OGG as a Ultimate Choice location I can confirm it is. A couple days ago in the Presidents Club section there was all Midsized SUVs (no cars although there was a few cars in the 5 Star side), Ford, Chevy, Kia. I picked up an Explorer with 11,000 miles on it.
Auto Enthusiast and anteater like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: Yes
Even though their website does not have OGG as a Ultimate Choice location I can confirm it is. A couple days ago in the Presidents Club section there was all Midsized SUVs (no cars although there was a few cars in the 5 Star side), Ford, Chevy, Kia. I picked up an Explorer with 11,000 miles on it.
I believe they became UC when the new garage was completed and the facility moved there.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Did you spot any European cars (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc.) in either the PC or premium upgrade section?
Old Jan 22, 2021, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Did you spot any European cars (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc.) in either the PC or premium upgrade section?
Yes there was some Mercedes for sure. I didn't take note of the other two you listed.
Old May 26, 2021, 8:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
What's it like on the ground these days? My understand is Ultimate Choice is gone. Do they preassign vehicles for elite or you wait in line for whatever gets returned?
Old May 30, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by seawolf
What's it like on the ground these days? My understand is Ultimate Choice is gone. Do they preassign vehicles for elite or you wait in line for whatever gets returned?
I just arrived in Maui today and got my rental. Ultimate Choice is still available and they had a good selection of cars today across the board. A few Camaro SS’s but too bad I had a family with luggage.

You will have to make sure you have the 2 green check marks from your QR code ready to show them. I went inside to the counter and the wait wasn’t too bad, maybe a couple of other customers.

Presidents Circle

Five Star
Old May 30, 2021, 8:23 pm
Original Member

Thanks. So they check for the QR code at the exit booth? Or you have to show the code before you get into the vehicle and then the normal check at the exit booth for UC locations?
Old May 30, 2021, 9:30 pm

The Fusion on the right side seems to have a dealer license plate frame. Maybe one of the used cars everyone is hearing about?
Old May 31, 2021, 12:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thanks. So they check for the QR code at the exit booth? Or you have to show the code before you get into the vehicle and then the normal check at the exit booth for UC locations?
Yes they check the QR code at the exit booth. I thought they needed to check everything at the main counter which is why I went there first. Turns out I could have just gone directly to the lot and pick any available car.

For reference I reserved a full size, but ended up with a GMC Terrain from the Five Star zone (even though I’m PC - nothing there was interesting).

Side note - the cell reception is bad in the parking garage (at least for AT&T), so be sure to screenshot your QR code with green check marks and the details right below (names, dates, etc.) before proceeding into the lot.

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
The Fusion on the right side seems to have a dealer license plate frame. Maybe one of the used cars everyone is hearing about?
Good catch, I didn’t even notice that. Would make sense given the limited inventory.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 31, 2021 at 5:35 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jun 24, 2021, 12:27 am
Original Member

PC today - Infiniti SUV, Lincoln Continental, Chrysler 300, Mercedes SL Roadster (had kids with me otherwise it would have been obvious choice). Altima, minivan.
Five star - mostly sedans as well as another Infiniti SUV. Nothing in Gold.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
PC today - Infiniti SUV, Lincoln Continental, Chrysler 300, Mercedes SL Roadster (had kids with me otherwise it would have been obvious choice). Altima, minivan.
Five star - mostly sedans as well as another Infiniti SUV. Nothing in Gold.
Strange that OGG has Ultimate Choice but HNL doesn’t.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 12:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Arrived Sunday afternoon to OGG.

30 yard walk out from baggage claim, across the street, to the Rental Car Tram patio. Took just a few minutes to get on and get down to the RCC.

If you have gold counter service on our reservation, take an immediate right hand turn off of the tram and walk towards the garage, level 2 (the level you are already on, no need for elevator). Hertz Gold Desk is right inside the actual parking garage. Bit of a wait to go into office, as they had to verify your Hawaii Safe Check Mark. Other folks there must have had more issues or questions, as they were taking 10-15 minutes to get thru and my interaction was: Check ID, Check Safe Travels, Confirm Reservation and PC Status, head out to PC aisle. Maybe 2 minutes tops.

As I walked out of the office, an Infiniti QX50 was parked in PC. We grabbed that, 14K miles and it is pretty clean inside.
There were 5 Chevy Impala's, 1 Ford Taurus, 1 Pickup Truck, and some Mazda full size in PC as well.

And that was that! They were pulling in about 1-2 cars per 5 minutes into PC as I was waiting to walk into the office. Saw a few Ford Explorers in 5* as well, but they looked to be a few years old by body style.

We got a great rate for OGG for the week, so all in all I am happy with how it turned out. Sort of wanted a convertible for RTH trip, but the Inifniti ended up with a huge moonroof thing so that works just as well and we saved $500 compared to the backup resy I had for a convertible.

All good
Ordpc likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 1:28 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by jtav559
Arrived Sunday afternoon to OGG.

30 yard walk out from baggage claim, across the street, to the Rental Car Tram patio. Took just a few minutes to get on and get down to the RCC.

If you have gold counter service on our reservation, take an immediate right hand turn off of the tram and walk towards the garage, level 2 (the level you are already on, no need for elevator). Hertz Gold Desk is right inside the actual parking garage. Bit of a wait to go into office, as they had to verify your Hawaii Safe Check Mark. Other folks there must have had more issues or questions, as they were taking 10-15 minutes to get thru and my interaction was: Check ID, Check Safe Travels, Confirm Reservation and PC Status, head out to PC aisle. Maybe 2 minutes tops.

As I walked out of the office, an Infiniti QX50 was parked in PC. We grabbed that, 14K miles and it is pretty clean inside.
There were 5 Chevy Impala's, 1 Ford Taurus, 1 Pickup Truck, and some Mazda full size in PC as well.

And that was that! They were pulling in about 1-2 cars per 5 minutes into PC as I was waiting to walk into the office. Saw a few Ford Explorers in 5* as well, but they looked to be a few years old by body style.

We got a great rate for OGG for the week, so all in all I am happy with how it turned out. Sort of wanted a convertible for RTH trip, but the Inifniti ended up with a huge moonroof thing so that works just as well and we saved $500 compared to the backup resy I had for a convertible.

All good
FWIW unless things have changed you should not have to stop at the gold customer service office at all. They checked for green check mark at the exit booth.
Auto Enthusiast, CO-PLAT and Ordpc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.