Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at PDX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Apr 4, 17, 10:53 pm
Original Poster
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

My PDX experience: Had to break my 2 week rental into 2 separate bookings, the first rental, I received an email with my assigned car - directly an Infinity Q50. After returning it and collecting my second car, I was allocated a Camry (booked Inter.) so I went to the Gold counter to ask if I could have an Infinity again - there were a couple of them in the lot (and even the guy at the return said they have tons of it), but was told that only if I paid the $20 per day extra.
Asked why - and was told that they have limited units, so no free upgrade.

Did go to the PC area - and rather pathetic selection - mainly Corolla's, Versa, Elantra. There were a couple of Sonata's but it was with Neverlost. Had to go back in and managed to get a Hybrid Sonata.

Cheers!
Old Apr 23, 17, 1:37 am
THN

IFAR(Q4) in PDX June - Ultimate Choice or Premium Upgrade

Hi there

Got a question - not sure what to do: I rented a IFAR in PDX for a good daily rate (around 30 USD pr. day) - and got a mail saying that I got ultimate choice or the chance to do Premium Upgrade for 35 USD (just Gold member).

Can't figure out what it means - does "Premium Upgrade" mean I can choose essentially any car - or what is the limitations on that (I would like a "nice" SUV with build in navi - not necessarily a large SUV)

And "Ultimate choice" - given that it is an IFAR I see that I can only "ultimate choice" within Intermediate. Any idea if an AmEx Plat (which should give 1 class upgrade) helps here ?
Old Jun 22, 17, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Back again @ PDX. I received an email reminding me that I could choose anything from the UC selection and lower. Upon arrival at the UC lot, it was mainly the normal suspects, Sonata's, Camry's and Optima with a Chrysler 300 between the whole lot.

To my luck, as I was approaching the lot, a worker pulled in with an Infinity Q60 2017 model. Of course i turned my direction towards that. I was doubtful at first if it was part of the choices (the upgrade section is basically next to the UC section). Confirmed that it was indeed a UC choice, so choose the car and I can say it is a car with the wow factor. Love the power, handling and design - great car at least to my opinion

Hope that they do keep the UC selections close to such standards.

Cheers!
Old Sep 25, 17, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Yesterday at the PC area, sadly no Infiniti's available, all were at the Premium upgrade selection. Asked about it and they said if I wanted one, I had to pay for it.
In the PC lot, mainly the usual suspects - Kia Optima's, Sonata's, Camry's. The only exceptions were lots of Chrysler 300's - in the different model's - S, G and C.
Took the S (Sport) model - not too bad.

Cheers!
Old May 4, 18, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Any updated reports now that the location has had UC for awhile (and maybe heard from corporate to put some nicer stuff on the line)?

I can do an Alamo midsize this weekend (picking up tomorrow) for $65 for 3 days, or I can get a midsize from Hertz for $78. Just wondering if it's worth the extra $13 for access to the PC section...if it's Corollas and Camrys, probably not, but if there's a chance of something more interesting, I'll probably splurge.
Old May 6, 18, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Following up on my own post:

I was pleasantly surprised at the selection. Granted, it was 8pm on a Saturday night and rates were in the toilet ($14/day, so demand obviously wasn't very high), but I encountered a PC line with:

-6x Chrysler 300
-2x Infiniti Q50 3.0t
-1x Chevy Silverado
-1x Jaguar XE 25t
-1x Dodge Charger R/T
-2x Infiniti QX80
-1x Chevy Camaro convertible (no trim line badge AFAICT)
-1x Jeep Wrangler
-1x Infiniti QX60

I waffled between the Q50, Jag XE, and the Charger R/T and ultimately settled on the Jag as I have never driven one. It's the least powerful of the three (though also the lightest) but it is so far a pleasure to drive--very well engineered.

Needless to say, I did not utilize my cheaper Alamo reservation.
Old May 6, 18, 4:21 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
@jackal, thanks for the report. I have a one week rental at the end of the month and am hoping for decent pickings on a Sunday morning. By any chance, did you see any minivans in PC or 5*?
Old May 7, 18, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Following up on my own post:

I was pleasantly surprised at the selection. Granted, it was 8pm on a Saturday night and rates were in the toilet ($14/day, so demand obviously wasn't very high), but I encountered a PC line with:

-6x Chrysler 300
-2x Infiniti Q50 3.0t
-1x Chevy Silverado
-1x Jaguar XE 25t
-1x Dodge Charger R/T
-2x Infiniti QX80
-1x Chevy Camaro convertible (no trim line badge AFAICT)
-1x Jeep Wrangler
-1x Infiniti QX60

I waffled between the Q50, Jag XE, and the Charger R/T and ultimately settled on the Jag as I have never driven one. It's the least powerful of the three (though also the lightest) but it is so far a pleasure to drive--very well engineered.

Needless to say, I did not utilize my cheaper Alamo reservation.
Wow, that's a very impressive selection. Beats anything I've seen from Hertz or National in terms of premium/luxury cars.
jackal likes this.
Old May 7, 18, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
@jackal, thanks for the report. I have a one week rental at the end of the month and am hoping for decent pickings on a Sunday morning. By any chance, did you see any minivans in PC or 5*?
No vans in PC--the largest options were the QX80s. I didn't pay a lot of attention to the Five Star section except to notice out of the corner of my eye as I drove past it that there was something nicer/sporiter than I expected in the end stall nearest the exit aisle I drove through...I don't even remember what it was, but I want to say something like a Q50. Didn't pay attention beyond that as I was too mesmerized by the PC section.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old May 28, 18, 6:50 am

PDX was surprisingly well-stocked yesterday morning around 0900, the Sunday of the three-day holiday weekend. Every space in the PC section was filled; I remember seeing an Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac CTS, Chevy Silverado Crew Cab, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Pathfinder, several Infiniti Q50 and a sole Q70, and many Chrysler 300s. I took the keys to the Q70 and then walked around the lot and noted a good selection of cars, SUV, and minivans spread throughout all sections. At the very end of one of the Gold rows, I found a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited minivan with 1,500 miles on the odometer and working Sirius/XM. It was exactly what I was hoping to find.
Old Jun 2, 18, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
PDX was surprisingly well-stocked yesterday morning around 0900, the Sunday of the three-day holiday weekend. Every space in the PC section was filled; I remember seeing an Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac CTS, Chevy Silverado Crew Cab, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Pathfinder, several Infiniti Q50 and a sole Q70, and many Chrysler 300s. I took the keys to the Q70 and then walked around the lot and noted a good selection of cars, SUV, and minivans spread throughout all sections. At the very end of one of the Gold rows, I found a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited minivan with 1,500 miles on the odometer and working Sirius/XM. It was exactly what I was hoping to find.
Was it burgundy? I rented one there for one day last week to haul a couple of friends and all of our crap to the airport. Did a free one day rental on points and grabbed a brand new Pacifica out of the PC area. It was surprisingly nice.
Old Jun 2, 18, 5:26 pm

LOL, no. It was white (and I mean *was* as I drove it on some gravel roads and the car's back end is covered in dust). I put close to 600 miles on it in the week I've had it and really enjoyed all the extra bells and whistles.
Old Dec 14, 18, 12:25 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, ConnectMiles, Hertz Gold, Iberia Avios, AirAsia
I just booked CCAR (but can downgrade to ICAR if the model is "interesting" enough) at PDX. What should I expect?
I would like to get either a Mazda3 or downgrade to Focus or VW Golf. I don't know why a Golf is classified as ICAR. Just trying to avoid Toyota and Kia/Hyundai.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 15, 18 at 4:43 pm Reason: moved into consolidated thread
Old May 16, 19, 5:53 am

I have a 11 day ICAR rental coming up next month. $373 with all taxes and fees included using AAA code. I'll try to report the selection next month as there hasn't been a recent report for PDX in this thread. I am PC tier.
Old May 16, 19, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I've been at PDX twice in the past 2 weeks.

Thursday afternoon at 3pm the PC area was about 50% full. Quite a decent selection:

Cadillac XTS
Infiniti Q35
Infiniti Q60
3 Pacifica minivans
2 Dodge Ram King Cab pickups
1 Toyota Avalon
2 Toyota Camry
1 Subaru Forester
3 Chrysler 300
2 Ford Fusion Titanium
2 Ford Edge
1 Toyota Rav4
1 Jeep Wrangler
1 Maxima
An assortment of F size sedans that I didn't pay too close attention to

I was back there on Sunday that same week to swap the XTS I'd originally selected for one of those minivans; ended up with one with less than 700 miles on it and working Sirius. Was perfect for hauling colleagues around for a few days. The car selection at that time was not nearly as robust, but I did notice 1 Land Rover Evoque and 1 Nissan Armada in the PC area.
SoroSuub1 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: