Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at PDX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at PDX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by noah
I've been at PDX twice in the past 2 weeks.

Thursday afternoon at 3pm the PC area was about 50% full. Quite a decent selection:

Cadillac XTS
Infiniti Q35
Infiniti Q60
3 Pacifica minivans
2 Dodge Ram King Cab pickups
1 Toyota Avalon
2 Toyota Camry
1 Subaru Forester
3 Chrysler 300
2 Ford Fusion Titanium
2 Ford Edge
1 Toyota Rav4
1 Jeep Wrangler
1 Maxima
An assortment of F size sedans that I didn't pay too close attention to

I was back there on Sunday that same week to swap the XTS I'd originally selected for one of those minivans; ended up with one with less than 700 miles on it and working Sirius. Was perfect for hauling colleagues around for a few days. The car selection at that time was not nearly as robust, but I did notice 1 Land Rover Evoque and 1 Nissan Armada in the PC area.
Wow, the elusive Subaru rental car, and in Portland no less!
Old May 30, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Slightly related -- picked up a car from the downtown Portland HLE (on SW Pine) while my car is in the shop getting fixed after a minor rear-ending.

With an F size reservation, I was offered my choice of silver or black 2018 Malibus. I hesitated and asked if he had anything else. Eventually he found the keys to a 2019 Jeep Wrangler which I happily took instead -- he told me that they had 87 cars at the location but 81 of them were dirty due to a lack of cleaning staff. I think something is clearly wrong when Hertz has so many vehicles out of service simply because they can't staff properly to clean them!
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Picked up Tuesday at 10am. PC aisle had a wide selection - Jeep Wrangler, a selection of midsize SUVs, 2 full size RAM pickups, Cadillac XTS. Jaguar XF (which I took), a few minivans, Five Star was mostly midsize and compact SUV.

Ultimate Choice area

PC Aisle
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:06 pm

June 14, 2019 (Friday) around noon time was slim pickins. 5-star and gold were pretty empty and PC lot was sparse too. Saw many choose your color Chevy Equinox. No minivans on any of the lots. Did see a Toyota 4Runner base trim in 5-star which was the biggest vehicle available besides the pickup trucks that no one wanted. Even asked about upgrades and did not have anything worth upgrading too. Of course it was busy so that played a major part.

Last edited by TJ665; Jun 14, 2019 at 3:25 pm
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:53 pm

Picked up early afternoon on Saturday, 7/6. Nothing too exciting to report -- PC had a GMC Terrain with leather, a Challenger, a Charger, a Tacoma with cloth, a slew of Dodge Ram pickups, and the usual Nissan/Toyota sedans; no hidden gems in 5* or Gold. I had booked an intermediate SUV and ended up taking what I was assigned (Ford Escape Titanium with ~2.5K miles). I inquired about a Range Rover Evoque I saw in a reserved spot but declined after being told it would be $45 to upgrade.

When I returned on the afternoon of Sunday, 7/7, the pickings were even more slim -- more pickup trucks, typical Nissan/Toyota/Hyundai sedans and SUVs, a Charger GT, and a Jeep Wrangler (pretty sure it had cloth).
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Rented from here a couple months ago. In the PC aisle, from what I can recall:

Cadillac ATS
Dodge Charger
Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

Those are the ones that stood out. We went with the Caddy.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 10:57 am

Picked up Thursday afternoon at 4:30pm. Gold, Five Star and PC aisles were well stocked. Compared to the terribly boring selections at SFO and SJC, PDX was much more interesting: I saw
- Cadillac XTS
- BMW X3
- Jaguar XF (which is what I took; love this rental)
- Chrysler Pacificia
- Cadillac XT4
- Toyota Highlander
- Toyota Camry
- The usual selection of Kia and Hyundais
Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Hertz GoldPlus member
Renting from PDX tomorrow, what to expect?

I am renting from PDX tomorrow afternoon and I am a gold plus member, what car can I expect to be available on a late Friday evening, hoping to pick up something good.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by mahendrainturi
I am renting from PDX tomorrow afternoon and I am a gold plus member, what car can I expect to be available on a late Friday evening, hoping to pick up something good.
You should just look at this thread -- none of us have any more specific information. I will say that as a Gold member late on a Friday, you'll either get the dregs of the selection (get ready for a full size car or compact SUV at best) or be really lucky since all the dregs will be gone and they'll have moved some nicer vehicles into the Gold section -- but I would not get your hopes up too high without being 5* or PC.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: AC SE. Hilton Diamond, Marriot TI, Avis PC. Hertz PC.
Arriving in PDX in 4 hours ish later today.

PC member
Booked: Mustang GT / Camaro SS or similar
I'm a President's Club member at Avis, and this is my first time using Hertz (even though I'm president's circle member)

Loooking forward to trying Ultimate Choice.

Wondering since I booked the V4 group, what you guys think are cars that are worth paying upgrade for? If I get Challenger RT (which is probably what I'm going to get), and There is a Jag available,, would you do it? or Mercedes GLS? Do they ever have AMGs?
I know it's all about preference, but just wondering about opinions of experienced renters to see what you guys think are the RARE cars that I should probably take and feel good about it because it won't happen again hahaha

If I get Camaro SS, I doubt I'll change it for anything else.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Wow at PDX today!

So I booked a luxury car at PDX for one day.. Lately the PC selection in the USA has been garbage! Right away the girl offers me a BMW 530.. Not bad, but for sh!ts and giggles I wanted to see the PC area.. Large Infinity, several BMW suvs, Jag SUV, and a Range Rover. I ended up taking the Rover as I've driven a lot of BMW's lately. I was totally impressed with the selection. Wish this was more often!
missingcolours likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:00 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by ryan754
So I booked a luxury car at PDX for one day.. Lately the PC selection in the USA has been garbage! Right away the girl offers me a BMW 530.. Not bad, but for sh!ts and giggles I wanted to see the PC area.. Large Infinity, several BMW suvs, Jag SUV, and a Range Rover. I ended up taking the Rover as I've driven a lot of BMW's lately. I was totally impressed with the selection. Wish this was more often!
Very nice you had an excellent experience
I went ahead and merged the post with the consolidated PDX thread.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ryan754
So since you didn't take the luxury, did they update your contract so you'll pay for mid-size instead?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Hertz President's Circle at 1pm on June 17

Limited to midsize sedans, a Mazda CX-30, and some sort of Buick compact SUV.

We had a car seat plus fair amount luggage and hoped for at least a midsize SUV, but none to be found. Decided to go with the the Mazda with 5,800 miles on it.

noah and Ordpc like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 10:16 pm

V4 RSAR at PDX Hertz

Any idea what I’ll get? Reservation says elite sports car but the RSAR doesn’t seem to align with the adrenaline collection per the forums I’m reading. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.