Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAS; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at LAS; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
1130pm Sunday before Thanksgiving. PC lot.

Cadillac CTS and 4WD Explorer were only decent cars though lot had a bunch of cars.

I did my routine of photoing and video damage and was setting up my phone with Bluetooth. I suddenly saw a employee pull up that same Mustang GT convertible I saw a couple taking last week (same color at least).

I probably made a bad choice of sticking with Caddy bc two other people I know will be in town and bc I hadn't driven this yet. Also it's 61, 50, and then 50 with likely rain Wednesday. If I wasn't gonna have any passengers or if it were 70's like last week, I definitely would have taken Mustang.

Posting pics as usual bc I don't know enough of fleet to just knock of names. I will say that i think I've seen a pickup and mini van available Everytime I've been here. I was hoping for a Suburban or a QX60 again (or that Escalade I saw in May) but I like trying a new car anyway.

Old Nov 26, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive Elite
Had two rentals from LAS this weekend, and found a QX60 in PC Ultimate Choice on Thursday.

Had to return due to no Android Auto/Car Play (really?) and picked out a nice 2020 Chevrolet Camaro SS2 with 300 miles. While we were driving out, we saw them deliver another SS2 to Ultimate Choice with 4 (!) miles on it.

Already put 300 miles on it cruising through the California desert; probably the best UC upgrade I've gotten in a while.
rhwbullhead likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by VolansFortunae
Had two rentals from LAS this weekend, and found a QX60 in PC Ultimate Choice on Thursday.

Had to return due to no Android Auto/Car Play (really?) and picked out a nice 2020 Chevrolet Camaro SS2 with 300 miles. While we were driving out, we saw them deliver another SS2 to Ultimate Choice with 4 (!) miles on it.

Already put 300 miles on it cruising through the California desert; probably the best UC upgrade I've gotten in a while.
Wed about 9pm, night before Thanksgiving.

I was envious that a new red Camaro SS was in lot. I wonder if that's the one you had.

Others were Ram, several base Mustangs. Base Camaro, Base Camaro convertible, base Mustang convertible. Mustang GT. Some SUV was bring pulled in.

A couple was looking at cars and almost got some random midsize. I suggested that new Camaro SS.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
All this talk about the red Camaro SS, I had to see for myself...

Overall good selection of cars in PC on Monday 12/2 evening 8pm
rhwbullhead likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:09 pm

Wooo smokin hot
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Damn, I'm heading there in February and hoping that Camaro is still there. Probably not but a man can dream
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by j_y11789
Damn, I'm heading there in February and hoping that Camaro is still there. Probably not but a man can dream
Yeah I'm hoping it's there next week when I'm renting. I want that over the Escalade that I've been wanting to see again but haven't seen since May. Getting the Mustang GT again I guess would be okay.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:04 am

Wed around midnight:

I know I'm spoiled by PC bc i was disappointed that the Camaro wasn't around.

I was explaining PC to my GF on bus and I got off the bus and started speed walking to PC area. This other guy was walking fast and I couldn't get past him unless I ran up the stairs which I knew wasn't worth it. I just slowed down and went behind him on the escalator. I figured he'd heard me on bus and wanted first pick of the lot as I've never seen anyone walk like me to PC lot here.

Funny thing is he stopped at Gold desk podium.and said he didn't see his name up there. I went to PC and didn't see him again.

Selection was good:
-I took a Mustang GT convertible and there was another one on the lot.
-Mustang base convertible
-2x Mustang GT hard top
-2 x Suburban
-2x Infinity QX60
-Infinity Q50 sedan
-Usual Pickup truck
-Usual Impala
-Usual Chrysler 300
-jaguar 25t
-No.minivans (first time I've failed to see a minivan here)

A guy went into lot and picked car circled?! (not sure exact model but looks like plainest choice in the PC lot)

I'm guessing some companies must have a restriction on what you can get even if you have choice of PC lot? I don't understand the choice otherwise.

The couple Thanksgiving Eve was doing same thing though and they weren't on business. Only other reason other than company policy that I can think of is person is not sure better cars aren't more money. I think couple said they were told to pick from PC lot and guy was afraid Camaro was more.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
A guy went into lot and picked car circled?! (not sure exact model but looks like plainest choice in the PC lot)

I'm guessing some companies must have a restriction on what you can get even if you have choice of PC lot? I don't understand the choice otherwise.

The couple Thanksgiving Eve was doing same thing though and they weren't on business. Only other reason other than company policy that I can think of is person is not sure better cars aren't more money. I think couple said they were told to pick from PC lot and guy was afraid Camaro was more.
Funny you mention that; the other day in Denver I saw a couple pick a Chevy Malibu off the PC aisle -- it was parked between a Cadillac XTS and a BMW 530i. I'm truly baffled why somebody would choose a Malibu over either of those cars. I suppose that is what some people want, else they might not put them on the PC aisle, but it was a bit surprising to me that they made said choice.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead

Wed around midnight:

Circled car is a Ford Taurus (G-class).

It’s a fairly nice car that offers some nice amenities (leather, Sony sound system, heated/A/C seats, heated steering wheel), but the handling leaves a lot to be desired.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by noah
Funny you mention that; the other day in Denver I saw a couple pick a Chevy Malibu off the PC aisle -- it was parked between a Cadillac XTS and a BMW 530i. I'm truly baffled why somebody would choose a Malibu over either of those cars. I suppose that is what some people want, else they might not put them on the PC aisle, but it was a bit surprising to me that they made said choice.
If I were going to a client meeting, and especially a client whom I don't know well, I’d show up in a "rental car" not a huge upgrade.

It's not an issue for me so much now with a personal car (I'm senior enough that people will expect me to drive something like that, even though I don't) but I wouldn't want to look expensive in a sales context.

Similarly, maybe he or his employer cares about gas mileage - 30+ mpg from a 1.5 liter 4 vs. probably about 25 for the XTS (not sure about the BMW) - wouldn't put me off the big sedans but I would probably pass on a Tahoe etc., at least in states where gas taxes are high. Strictly my travel policy says that I should decline free upgrades beyond a class 'B' due to gas mileage unless there is a clear business need (albeit Hertz is not a preferred supplier).

That said, I saw a couple make a beeline for a Ford Ecosport in the Gold section (when surrounded by cars that weren't objectively terrible - even a Rogue is far preferable) when clearly travelling for leisure so maybe people just see a "car" on their current trajectory, or just shop by color. Anyway, be glad they exist or that 530i would have lasted about 2 seconds.

Last edited by Cymro; Dec 14, 2019 at 3:50 am
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by noah
Honestly could just be that they are used to that kind of car and don't wish to change things up too much. I know that if I wasn't too used to a new place and the choice was between something similar to my personal car or a completely different vehicle I'd probably go with something similar so that way I'm not learning the landscape and a new vehicle
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:47 am

Could it also be the customer is doing a one-way and expects the gate guard won't let them take away such prized inventory? Did the BMW etc have local plates? If so, that might be an indication that certain categories are assigned to a specific location.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by j_y11789
Honestly could just be that they are used to that kind of car and don't wish to change things up too much. I know that if I wasn't too used to a new place and the choice was between something similar to my personal car or a completely different vehicle I'd probably go with something similar so that way I'm not learning the landscape and a new vehicle
I guess this makes sense. It takes me awhile to even figure out how to connect my phone to car system when I'm in a rental I haven't used. It takes about a day of driving to feel like I'm used to the controls, blind spots, etc. I cutoff a guy by accident right after I got this Mustang Convertible bc I wasn't used to the blind spot indicator.

I could see just getting a car one's used to, especially if it's a quick one day rental.

I know it was off topic but I appreciate the other post about business reasons one might select certain cars.

The gas reasons is a great point even just for personal rentals. My friend was surprised how much gas we burned in the QX60 and I definitely burn extra gas in this Mustang just from giving it a little gas to hear the exhaust under viaducts and in parking garages.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 4:22 pm

PC lot Fri around 2pm:
Lot was filled with unremarkable cars. The cars in PC lot you'd be disappointed to see like the Impala, base Camaro Chrysler 300
Being best cars. Did eventually find a Mustang GT convertible and a Camaro SS

Story:

I had to go swap.out my car..I'm not sure if someone else screwed up the battery or cars really drain the batteries in like 30 mins in accessories mode. I was just listening to newshour on cars Bluetooth waiting for someone and then suddenly it wouldn't start. I tried the key fob thing in cup holder directions in owners manual.and car wouldn't start.

Hertz ended up.sending AAA when I called. AAA guy thought swapping car out was probably a good idea in case battery was bad, now or before I got it. He said maybe newer cars do burn batteries faster. I have an older car so I dont know. In my old car, I once left the lights on for over an hour and it still started. I'm shocked if newer cars really drain battery to a point where car won't start in about a half hour. Lights weren't on bc they're been on auto mode and it was day time.

I went back to airport and swapped. Initially I was worried as I only saw base Camaro, Impala and Chrysler 300 as best cars in PC lot. It was a bunch of cars if be disappointed.to.get. I did see a matching Mustang GT convertible at far end and grabbed keys. Return guy had told me to.go to.Gold Kiosk but I knew I'd get a PC car so I grabbed keys and had GF stand by car before I went to kiosk.

While I had waited for AAA , I had skimmed a few threads on flyertalk about car breakdowns and I saw someone got compensation for having to swap out. I'd feel bad if I asked for discount.and I'm the idiot that killed the battery. Car had like 31k miles though so not sure if it's possible someone else drained battery previously and that's why it died so quickly. I would have expected an auto shut down with all the features in cars now or some warning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.