Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SEA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards

Just had my first experience using ultimate choice and not particularly impressed tbh.

No carfirmation received and no name on board - not sure if this is a change related to UC or not, but as nothing was communicated beforehand regarding this, I was left in the dark.

In the PC section of ultimate choice, the selection of cars was utterly dire, and just more of the same garbage and size that was in the gold section. Neither section was particularly large, and staff were not much help besides one staff member who did proactively offer something and then try and look for something better but no joy.

If this is the standard going forward, then I am seriously thinking of jumping ship to National and giving them a try now.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Did you just stick with your original booking then?

For me, I book what I am happy driving.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by leaveamessage
Just had my first experience using ultimate choice and not particularly impressed tbh.
Where was this?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards

Originally Posted by Yllanes
Where was this?
SEA

This is one of the rows for PC. I was also told I could only choose from the PC or Gold lot - and not midsize, five star, or fullsize?!

Guy at the counter seemed to really not give a crap aside from upselling me to a prestige, which normally I would do with such a dire selection, but not on a longer rental due to the upsell being a daily fee.

Slow day? Teething or introduction problems as it had only introduced a few days before? Who knows.....either way, not impressed.

Originally Posted by Beckles
Picked up a car from ORD on Tuesday around 10:30 AM, my first Ultimate Choice experience ... the President's Circle area had about 25 vehicles or so ranging from midsize up to bigger SUV (Pathfinder and such) as well as a GMC Yukon, 2 Infiniti QX60, 2 Infiniti QX80, and a Mercedes C-class sedan that someone else was already in. I took a QX80 after finding the QX60 I checked did not have built-in navigation.

Wow - sounds great, and what a contrast to the PC area at SEA. Not one single SUV - either full size or midsize - and definitely no mercedes, although the prestige section was full of them...for a fee.
Any of the vehicles you have listed I would have taken and been more than happy with, and I would have posted on here praising the new concept.

Last edited by leaveamessage; Nov 3, 2016 at 4:14 pm
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

I was also told at SEA that I could pick any car from the PC lot, but if it had navigation it would be extra.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:44 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by leaveamessage
I was also told at SEA that I could pick any car from the PC lot, but if it had navigation it would be extra.
One key difference may have been the car I took was a Prestige Collection car, so it doesn't cost extra for Navigation in those anyway.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 1:45 pm

Terrible PC selection at SEA

The president's circle selection at SEA was absolutely atrocious for a Friday night. About 30 Altimas, a few Sonatas and Optimas and a token Jeep Latitude, Mazda 3 and Impala sprinkled in. All other sections were equally laughable. Best non-reserve car on the lot was a single Wrangler in the gold star section.

Went upstairs to National instead, who had their usual rich assortment of executive aisle cars, including a Challenger, multiple Santa Fe, several other model SUVs and pickups and a lone Chrysler 300c, which I took.

National is getting 100% of my business in the future.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:39 am

I made that change about 8 months ago and have been loving the car selection at National in almost every airport I travel to!!

Originally Posted by 6e23
The president's circle selection at SEA was absolutely atrocious for a Friday night. About 30 Altimas, a few Sonatas and Optimas and a token Jeep Latitude, Mazda 3 and Impala sprinkled in. All other sections were equally laughable. Best non-reserve car on the lot was a single Wrangler in the gold star section.

Went upstairs to National instead, who had their usual rich assortment of executive aisle cars, including a Challenger, multiple Santa Fe, several other model SUVs and pickups and a lone Chrysler 300c, which I took.

National is getting 100% of my business in the future.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club,National EE, Hilton honors Gold,hyatt Plat,MP Silver
Had a Resv today with Sixt that was a bust..National is my normal go to the the rates here @ SEA were double hertz..

This was my first experience with the choice lanes and They have a long way to go before the lanes would be considered an equal to national.

5*,Gold And PC all had the same cars.. No obvious upgrade from lane to lane like you see with National. the one odd ball, a Maxima with 18k is what I took but didn't make it 100 feet as it had extremely touchy brakes ..

Spoke with the gold counter rep and was given a 17 Q50 with 90 miles, What i should have been able to grab off the PC lane to begin with.

Last edited by DODiraq; Feb 10, 2017 at 12:04 pm
Old Feb 10, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club,National EE, Hilton honors Gold,hyatt Plat,MP Silver
If anyone is flying into SEA, Hertz has received Shipments of base model Altimas,chevys, and sonatas

I had to go today to exchange the Q50 i talked myself into yesterday and they have literally hundreds of the cars parked everywhere..Even in non parking spots

The Q50 is too small for my liking so I was hoping to talk myself into an escalade as they had maybe 20 on the lot yesterday

for another example of how hertz UC isn't constisent. In the PC lanes

1 Passat

9 Atlimas

4 malibus

a few other base model mid sizers AND ONE QX80!!!! ... hertz..A car i was able to rent under the prestige collection

the gate rep asked if it was an upgrade, I said no, I'm PC and it was in the lanes..I'm 95% sure you can grab whatever as a PC and get it for normal price

my weekly rate right now sans taxes is 168
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Hmmm I'm in SEA tomorrow and got the email about ultimate choice. Excited to try it out.

I'm curious if I should just book a prestige straight up(only $46/day right now), or if I should book economy and play roulette in the PC area. I'd be even curious to see what the paid upgrade options are... It would be cheaper to book the prestige now but the $25 upgrade choices might have good pickings based on what I've been reading here. Not sure what to do ugh lol

Update: I ended up just booking economy and I'll take a look at the upgrade/paid upgrade options are and play roulette. Will report back on findings tomorrow morning!

I do have a question : If you book a random prestige, would you be able to pick from the premier upgrade section for free? Or do you have to go through the gold desk for alternatives?

Last edited by SKYEG; Mar 2, 2017 at 1:51 am
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Hmmm I'm in SEA tomorrow and got the email about ultimate choice. Excited to try it out.

I'm curious if I should just book a prestige straight up(only $46/day right now), or if I should book economy and play roulette in the PC area. I'd be even curious to see what the paid upgrade options are... It would be cheaper to book the prestige now but the $25 upgrade choices might have good pickings based on what I've been reading here. Not sure what to do ugh lol

Update: I ended up just booking economy and I'll take a look at the upgrade/paid upgrade options are and play roulette. Will report back on findings tomorrow morning!

I do have a question : If you book a random prestige, would you be able to pick from the premier upgrade section for free? Or do you have to go through the gold desk for alternatives?
You need to book a midsize or higher if you're planning on using the President's Circle area.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Was at SEA this AM. For some reason my car was already assigned for me?? Mercedes CLA250. Selection in PC section was a few small size SUVs and full size cars. One Q50. The prestige upgrade area was empty except another Q50.

​​​​​Should have took the Q50, the CLA250 should not be a Mercedes . Most underwhelming car ever.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Appears that SEA is now UC (my first time renting there in a while), ended up with a CTS. Several Infinitis and other Cadillacs, otherwise mostly the standard midsize/fullsize.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Just did my first UC rental, out of SEA. SEA were never a great station for Gold Choice but Ultimate Choice seemed alien to them on the evidence of today.

Gold, midsize, fullsize and 5* were basically interchangeable - any flavor or make of Altima you like (Nissan, Kia, Toyota, Chevy, Hyundai...) with the occasional actual midsize car and one 2016 Impala Limited holding on. (I was tempted to take it as a flashback to my first US rental nine years ago, but passed).

In PC it was 80% the same as the other areas. I don't think I saw a single SUV, minivan or coupe/convertible. Happily they did have a couple of Q50s, two Chrysler 300s and a Maxima SL, which I have. They had some seriously nice cars in the $25/day upgrade line - only to be told that, despite the signs "We don't do that any more - we do have the Gold Choice area but they're over $100 a day.") So a definite case of the station not getting the concept whatsoever.

Should stress that the guy at check-out was excellent though - polite, friendly, helpful and competent.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 30, 2017 at 5:18 am Reason: moved from ultimate choice thread

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.