Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at DEN (DIA); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at DEN (DIA); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:22 am

I had an interesting experience renting at this location. I had a full-size SUV (Yukon or similar) reserved for Friday at 6 PM. I arrive, the gold board says see desk as it was my first time renting. I go inside & speak with a representative that was not very friendly. As I’m waiting for him to acknowledge me the lady next to me that is being helped is being treated very rudely, the lady helping her was being very demeaning. The person helping me tells me they have a Tahoe for me, which would be fine as it was what I had reserved.

I asked what upgrades they had available as they had multiple Range Rover Sports, Escalades, Porsche Macans, etc that seemed to be available. I was told no there was nothing but he could put me in an Infiniti QX80 for an additional $100 a day..keep in mind I reserved a full size SUV already, so the rate difference seemed very high to me. I didn’t even try to negotiate as he was not friendly & did not seem willing to help/interested in upgrading me.

We leave..the next day I try to call to see if they have any Range Rovers available & it was impossible to reach a local representative, so I decided to just drive there & check in person. They told me they could upgrade me to a Range Rover Sport, Escalade, or Porsche Macan. I said I’d go with the Range Rover, he was going to charge an additional $70 per day..that was fine. He asked for 4 forms of identification..I didn’t have my main wallet, so all I had were two credit cards & my drivers license. He went back & forth asked for insurance card. So I pulled it up on my phone, but he said I could have faked that. Even though I logged in to my insurance app in front of him. He goes well I should be okay with that..he has another employee go & get keys to Range Rover. We are almost done, the lady came back with the keys & he goes you know what, no I’m not going to let you upgrade to this class without 4 forms of identification. But then tells me he will put me in the Escalade for an additional $45 a day. I finally said fine, whatever.

I understand their policy on the upper class of cars, but he really just seemed to be jerking me around saying he could allow it & then changing his mind. Just not sure how I feel about the entire experience.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Thomasgrant57
I understand their policy on the upper class of cars, but he really just seemed to be jerking me around saying he could allow it & then changing his mind. Just not sure how I feel about the entire experience.
Really no reason to take all this guff from a petty tyrant...did you ask for a Manager? The Managers can authorize comp upgrades...I have gotten comp Range Rovers from Hertz this way.

I will say this - if I agreed to an upgrade and the agent agreed to it and just arbitrarily changed his mind - I would ask for the Manager and the Escalade would be complimentary, if not the Range Rover. It's all about being polite but firm - some of the Gold counters just have rude agents so I swerve and avoid them. No need to deal with their negativity or incompetence.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Really no reason to take all this guff from a petty tyrant...did you ask for a Manager? The Managers can authorize comp upgrades...I have gotten comp Range Rovers from Hertz this way.

I will say this - if I agreed to an upgrade and the agent agreed to it and just arbitrarily changed his mind - I would ask for the Manager and the Escalade would be complimentary, if not the Range Rover. It's all about being polite but firm - some of the Gold counters just have rude agents so I swerve and avoid them. No need to deal with their negativity or incompetence.
It was like 130 AM when I went in & the manager had left at midnight, so there wasn’t anyone to clear it with. I told the guy upfront if he wasn’t comfortable doing I understood & didn’t want him to get in trouble over it. He proceeded to say that he wouldn’t do anything he was uncomfortable with. Just didn’t understand why he had me wait 15 mins for someone to find the key & confirm the Range Rover was there & then changed his mind. Just odd & unnecessary.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: Skymiles; SPG; AAdvantage
Just booked K4 during ski season here. PC member if that helps. Any idea what I'll be assigned? Hoping for a Velar but do they have any at this location? Appreciate it
Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by redstormrising
Just booked K4 during ski season here. PC member if that helps. Any idea what I'll be assigned? Hoping for a Velar but do they have any at this location? Appreciate it
I've booked K4 3 or 4 times and always receive the Jaguar F-Pace. Maybe I'm just unlucky but that seems to be what it constantly books me into.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Sunday at 2:30pm and all sections were fully stocked.

Gold seemed to be primarily sedans and a few compact SUVs.
Five Star was sedans, a few compact SUVs and one or two mid-size SUVs (Edge)
PC selection was quite broad
- Midsize through full size SUV (Rav4, Mazda CX5, Sonata, Highlander, VW Atlas, Intiniti QX80, Armada, Jaguar F-Pace)
- Full size through luxury cars (Intiniti Q50, XTS, Camry, Avalon, 300S, Malibu, Subaru Outback, Subaru Forrester)
- Ram 1500 pickup (x2)

I grabbed the Jaguar F-Pace.
dagangwood likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: Skymiles; SPG; AAdvantage
Originally Posted by TexasTea
I've booked K4 3 or 4 times and always receive the Jaguar F-Pace. Maybe I'm just unlucky but that seems to be what it constantly books me into.

Thanks for the heads up! Won't be too disapointed with the F-Pace although definitely would have preferred the Velar.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by redstormrising
I was just there a few weeks ago..I do believe I saw a Velar or two..definitely a few Range Rover Sports..& at least one F-Pace, Macan, & Cayenne. I rented full size suv, got a Tahoe..took back a couple days later to upgrade as it was too base..tried to get me in f-pace or Macan..really wanted RRSport but due to not having 4 forms of ID on me I couldn’t get (see prior post in this discussion) & settles for Escalade. Hopefully you are able to get Velar! Keep us posted & safe travels!
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
11/4/19: Rented Mid-Size, as a PC. Had access to PC selection upon arrival.

Get off the bus, lots of folks moving quickly to the PC zone. Someone quicker than I got the Infinity QX80. I also saw a Cadillac Escalade occupied. Rest included a sports car and some other mid-size SUV's and such. Tried one, not enough room for everyone. Settled on a Nissan Pathfinder- should have kept it as it had a bit more room. Took a while to get it set up and loaded up; then a whole fleet of other vehicles arrived- well 5 or so. Among this was a Chevy Traverse LT. Popped inside- had a few more features so kept it. More room in the Pathfinder however.

Was frustrated with selection until additional inventory arrived. 5* and Gold had about nothing- one or two cars in these areas.

This was about 9:30 PM as well. Lots of cars around, just not where we could use them
Old Dec 2, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: United 1K, SWA RR ALP-CP, Hertz #1 Gold PC, HH Lifetime Diamond
Learned my lesson with the Hertz DEN airport location last week. The forecast was calling for a major winter storm, so I thought it was a wise idea to grab a rental SUV to drive to KS and back for Thanksgiving. I went ahead and made a standard award reservation thinking I could show up to PC and grab some sort of small AWD SUV, as I’ve done on countless other occasions. When I got to PC, I found endless rows of small sedans (mixture of FWD and RWD..the latter being horrible in the snow) and not a single SUV in any of the Ultimate Choice areas. Ended up with a Fusion which was terrible in the snow. Wishful thinking, but it would be nice if Hertz would offer even a remotely decent selection in UC for repeat/loyal customers.

Admittedly, trusting Hertz was a rookie mistake that I won’t make again.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I'll be renting from DEN today as PC arriving around noon. I'll get back with what they had once I pick up. Hoping for something with AWD/4WD as I'm heading out to Beaver Creek this weekend and looks like it'll be snowing Sunday/Monday.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Arrived Saturday at 4pm. I was in a hurry so didn't have a lot of time to look around but grabbed a BMW 530i of which there were 3 in the PC area. I also noticed several Cadillac XTS, a Pacifica minivan and Chevy Silverado pickup which was the only non-car vehicle i noticed on the aisle. Enjoyed the BMW!
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by noah
Arrived Saturday at 4pm. I was in a hurry so didn't have a lot of time to look around but grabbed a BMW 530i of which there were 3 in the PC area. I also noticed several Cadillac XTS, a Pacifica minivan and Chevy Silverado pickup which was the only non-car vehicle i noticed on the aisle. Enjoyed the BMW!
I came in after you and grabbed one of the other 5 series.

Didn't want to return it.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
I'll be renting from DEN today as PC arriving around noon. I'll get back with what they had once I pick up. Hoping for something with AWD/4WD as I'm heading out to Beaver Creek this weekend and looks like it'll be snowing Sunday/Monday.
I guess I wasn't as lucky as the above two. When I arrived, I had cars rented with both Hertz and National. National's selection was decent but headed over to Hertz since they had pre-assigned me a Cadillac XT5 FWD. I decided to give the PC aisle a look and only saw a ton of midsize sedans (no BMWs), one minivan, a lifted Ram truck and some Mustangs. There was also one Enclave or Encore (small SUV). Pretty slim/disappointing pickings. I just went with the pre-assigned XT5 instead.

I'll be back in mid-Jan for a weekend of skiing, so I guess I'll see what the selection is like then.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:26 pm

Similar observation as above on 12/24. SUVs were all on reserved lot, basically loaded corolla and base camry/altima and few mustangs on Gold/Five star/PC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.