Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at DCA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at DCA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
This Saturday afternoon had a few surprises in PC, 2 Volvo S90's and a BMW 530 xDrive in addition to the normal Impalas & Toyota's. 5 Star had an F150 & Charger Hemi, but the rest of the lot looked pretty light.
m907 and lihkg like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Here's a new one. I returned a car to Hertz DCA this afternoon, a car I'd picked up in BWI. The agent looked inside and told me if I didn't clean out the car I was going to be charged a cleaning fee. I'd only had the car a day and a half so it wasn't dirty. I said that was absurd and she insisted. I threw out three McDonalds cups, a receipt and a straw wrapper to make her happy.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Here's a new one. I returned a car to Hertz DCA this afternoon, a car I'd picked up in BWI. The agent looked inside and told me if I didn't clean out the car I was going to be charged a cleaning fee. I'd only had the car a day and a half so it wasn't dirty. I said that was absurd and she insisted. I threw out three McDonalds cups, a receipt and a straw wrapper to make her happy.
I don't see the problem here. You're an adult, clean up after yourself and throw away the trash before you return the rental car. It's common courtesy.
Auto Enthusiast, dc2005b and lihkg like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rigor
I don't see the problem here. You're an adult, clean up after yourself and throw away the trash before you return the rental car. It's common courtesy.
You don't see a problem with creating undisclosed fees? I've been renting cars for 13 years and I worked in car rental for 3 years, never in that time have I heard of cleaning fee nor have I ever charged one. The idea of telling a customer who came back with three cups in cupholders and a receipt and a straw wrapper in the center console that if they didn't clean it I'd charge them never would have occured to me and I worked for Enterprise, the most fee based company there is.
manohman and m907 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: National EE, Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS
Originally Posted by rigor
While I personally agree, if a rental agent ever told me they'd charge me a cleaning fee over trash, I'd be expecting a call from the branch manager the next day. That is completely unacceptable unless the interior is completely trashed or I have smoked in the car. Hertz and every other rental company employs people to clean cars and it's not unreasonable to expect that Hertz will need to clean rental cars upon return.
CMK10 and Cymro like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
This is going seriously off topic but... if the customer can clean it up and put it in the trashcan on return, he should. It's also a good way to make sure that phone chargers, etc. don't stay buried beneath the trash. But that's not cleaning worthy of a fee - in fact, it's almost the level of trash that could come from a single journey to the airport if you stopped off on the way.

In fact, anything that can be removed from the car without some form of liquid assistance is not cleaning in my view, regardless of whether it's good manners or not. Cars get cleaned ou and vacuumed between rentals; this is no different.
m907 and missingcolours like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:53 pm

Took a BMW 530i with around 4k miles from the PC section on a Saturday afternoon. Terrific handling - getting a car like this at a rate for mid-size is what makes the PC status worth it.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Surprisingly very interesting selection by DCA standards late Tuesday night. PC had a Camaro SS (leather), Challenger R/T Hemi (base interior), Volvo S90, a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, and Cherokee Limited, to go along with the regular Hertz fare.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
im surprised they had a s90 in the PC lot, ive only seen it in the paid upgrades.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joonydell
im surprised they had a s90 in the PC lot, ive only seen it in the paid upgrades.
So was I, although it was a 2018 model. This is DCA so I wouldn't have been shocked if the gate agent told me I couldn't take it for some bogus reason.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
Another surprise at the DCA PC lot this Saturday, 2 new Mercedes A220 4Matics along with the usual suspects. I took one with 250 miles on it and in the end wasn't that impressed. The panoramic glass roof was nice and satellite radio was working but mostly a bare bones model, nav not activated, etc.
m907 likes this.

Last edited by dc2005b; Sep 22, 2019 at 11:16 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG SA
I picked up @ DCA as 5 star last night (Friday) around 11:30pm.

Common basic sedans in 5 star: corolla, impala, malibu, sonata. NO SUV.
Similar sedans in PC. There is a black charger. NO SUV in PC.
m907 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:18 am
Original Poster

On Wednesday night Hertz DCA had a single Jeep Cherokee and a single Kia Sorento in PC. That was it. Five Star and Gold had a smattering of base trim small SUVs and small sedans. Upgrade section was full, of course. I don't remember what was in the regular upgrade section but Ultimate Series was a Challenger R/T and a Charger R/T.
dagangwood likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:27 am

Better experience than I'm used to at DCA though nothing special:

PC was small to mid sized SUV heavy along with a Mustang and an Impala.

Five Star had some smaller cars and small SUVs. I took a GMC Acadia SLT with 13,000 miles. Annoyingly they enforce the fee to enable SiriusXM at this location.
dagangwood, m907 and Joonydell like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Big vehicless in PC on Monday evening:

*Dodge Durango R/T Hemi (first I've seen as a rental)
*RAM 2500 Bighorn (new model, 900 miles)
*Chevy Suburban LT
*GMC Yukon XL
*Ford Flex SEL
*Chrysler Pacifica
*and two Buick Encores which looked silly next to the beasts.

There was another RAM 2500 in FS and lots of Grand Caravans, Kia Souls, and a couple Pacificas across FS and Gold.

Upgrades were a Porsche Macan and three BMW 5 Series. I didn't ask what they were charging.

Last edited by m907; Jan 6, 2020 at 5:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.