Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at DCA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at DCA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by m907
Were they in the PC lot or did you have to ask?
PC lot & Premium Upgrade area were both entirely vacant, as they have been on other Saturdays (less than 1/4 of the time, but noticeable frequency) recently.

On these Saturdays, there will be 5-20 cars in the "reserved" areas and essentially none anywhere else, and I'll be directed to choose one (or from among a group of cars) from the reserved spots.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
PC lot & Premium Upgrade area were both entirely vacant, as they have been on other Saturdays (less than 1/4 of the time, but noticeable frequency) recently.

On these Saturdays, there will be 5-20 cars in the "reserved" areas and essentially none anywhere else, and I'll be directed to choose one (or from among a group of cars) from the reserved spots.
Interesting. I wonder why DCA is so barren on weekends?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:58 am

DCA - Saturday AM
Reserved: G (Premium)
Offered: ICAR and FCAR
Pushed back, got my choice of
-2 Audi A3's
-Infiniti QX30
-Infiniti Q60

Took the A3 because I was going to have passengers, but the Q60 was tempting...
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, SPG+
I need to rent from this station in December for a 10 day period, taking the family on a long trip, so we need a car with lots of space. My company just switched programs and I am new to Hertz, but they have me as PC now.

Which class would I need to reserve to get a good sized car, such as SUV or minivan (shudder...). Up to F is fairly cheap but if I book G and above its about 75% more. Does it make a difference whether it's F or G, can't I just walk up to the lot like I used to with Emerald Aisle and pick any car? Or should I just reserve a 7 passenger SUV which is the same price as the G class?

Thank you!
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by m907
Interesting. I wonder why DCA is so barren on weekends?
I think it's a combination of:
-pickups Friday for weekend trips, meaning things are barren by Saturday
-one-ways out on Fridays
-certain weekends are busier than others, those are the ones when it's empty by Saturday

This past weekend, for example, there were plenty of cars and I got a nice Jaguar XF from the PC aisle.

Originally Posted by seekingsun
I need to rent from this station in December for a 10 day period, taking the family on a long trip, so we need a car with lots of space. My company just switched programs and I am new to Hertz, but they have me as PC now.

Which class would I need to reserve to get a good sized car, such as SUV or minivan (shudder...). Up to F is fairly cheap but if I book G and above its about 75% more. Does it make a difference whether it's F or G, can't I just walk up to the lot like I used to with Emerald Aisle and pick any car? Or should I just reserve a 7 passenger SUV which is the same price as the G class?

Thank you!
You should reserve the SUV that you want. It may be the case that when you arrive there are plenty of SUVs (and sometimes that's almost all there is) -- but I've seen the lot nearly empty here often enough (in which case you get what you get) that you'll be much better off if you reserve your desired car.

I suppose you could make two reservations, one in F (which you could use to drive off with something from the PC aisle, if you saw something you liked there) and one for the SUV... some might frown upon that, but given how unreliable car rental reservations are, it seems reasonable. You could cancel the reservation you didn't need once you showed up and had a chance to survey the lot.

Reserving a G won't help you. Either they'll pre-assign you a car, which will almost certainly be a G, I, or YI, or they'll tell you to pick something from the PC aisle (assuming there are Gs or better in it), in which case you're paying 75% more for what you could have gotten at the F rate.

Edited 11/14/17 to add:

Came in this past Saturday a.m. Several cars in PC aisle, mostly F but one new black 2018 Cadillac XTS, which I took -- very nice.
m907 likes this.

Last edited by platbrownguy; Nov 13, 2017 at 10:04 pm
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, SPG+
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
You should reserve the SUV that you want. It may be the case that when you arrive there are plenty of SUVs (and sometimes that's almost all there is) -- but I've seen the lot nearly empty here often enough (in which case you get what you get) that you'll be much better off if you reserve your desired car.

I suppose you could make two reservations, one in F (which you could use to drive off with something from the PC aisle, if you saw something you liked there) and one for the SUV... some might frown upon that, but given how unreliable car rental reservations are, it seems reasonable. You could cancel the reservation you didn't need once you showed up and had a chance to survey the lot.
Totally forgot to thank you!! I made a reservation for the regular group and then just see what they have. If I dont like it, I'll cancel while on the lot and I have another car as backup available. Maybe I'll swing by the lot next week and have a peek...
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
DCA
Premium - Chevy Impala (G) or similar
None
Yes - Infiniti Q60 (E) with factory satnav

DCA
Premium - Chevy Impala (G) for similar
None
Yes - 2018 Cadillac XTS (I) with factory satnav

DCA
Premium - Chevy Impala (G) or similar
None
Yes - Jaguar XE 2.5t (P4)
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:39 pm
Suspended

DCA
Premium - Chevy Impala (G) for similar
None
Yes - Mercedes GLC300 (H4)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Marriott Titanium Elite, Southwest A-List, United Premier Silver
New to FT. I fly into DCA about 2-6 times monthly for work. Although I've never been PC while there - only recently attained the status and the last two times have been at BWI - I was never impressed from what I saw walking past to Five Star. It seems like a very small section - maybe 7 cars? And they're all just slightly higher trim Chevys or Kias, from what I saw. Meanwhile, at BWI, I got a Ford Explorer once, and a Camaro another time.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matchboxx
New to FT. I fly into DCA about 2-6 times monthly for work. Although I've never been PC while there - only recently attained the status and the last two times have been at BWI - I was never impressed from what I saw walking past to Five Star. It seems like a very small section - maybe 7 cars? And they're all just slightly higher trim Chevys or Kias, from what I saw. Meanwhile, at BWI, I got a Ford Explorer once, and a Camaro another time.
If I recall correctly the entire first row at DCA is PC, with the upgrades in the middle, so it's larger than 7. That said the selection is almost always underwhelming in my experience.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Matchboxx
In a word: crappy. I rarely find anything better than a Nissan Altima. And truth be told, if I could get a leather-appointed Altima on a consistent basis, I'd be satisfied - all I really want is a consistently decent car with leather and modern safety features, which doesn't seem like too much to ask. I've arrived on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays - at the beginning of the week the excuse is "everybody rents on Mondays". At the end of the week it's "all the good cars are still out". Unless you like massive full size SUVs (I don't) - I have occasionally seen well appointed full size SUVs in Ultimate Choice.

Prior to Ultimate Choice, they rarely honored upgrades for PC members. Even when they had the cars, I always had to select an upgrade myself once I received the Carfirmation. I had high hopes that it would get better with Ultimate Choice - no such luck. The only time I got a decent upgrade was after complaining so much that they put me into a Mercedes SUV just to shut me up.

I've been flying into DCA for many years, and in my opinion they get the award for worst Hertz location on the planet.

BWI, on the other hand, has been improving. Prior to Ultimate Choice, recently I've been assigned decent (though not fabulous) cars like the Altima described above. This week I arrived on Monday early afternoon and they had several brand new Infiniti Q50s in Ultimate Choice - mine had only 8 miles on it! I hope this trend continues.
m907 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Better than usual selection at DCA on Saturday. All rows were full of cars with some decent variety. Gold even had a few full size.

But strangely enough there was a 2015 Chevy Malibu in Five Star, the last-gen model. 44k miles.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Hertz was a disaster Sunday night. The entire garage was chock full of what seemed like every car they had. Cars snaked along walls and inaccessible. I saw a Mercedes in PC so I bolted over to it but the attendant called over and said everything on that side of the PC aisle was unavailable. Looked at the other side and literally every car was an Altima or Camry, except for a single Rogue and 1 Avalon. I went to Five Star and saw a Nissan Armada there, but nope, attendant told me that was the only car unavailable from Five Star.

I get that it was a Sunday night but it just reinforces that Hertz DCA is poorly run. I've had so many bad experiences there.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:49 am
Suspended

DCA
Cadillac Escalade or Ford Expedition (P6)*
None
Yes - Range Rover (C6)*

*Apparently the prior renter of the Escalade had not returned the vehicle despite repeated attempts to reach him. So I was offered choice of vehicle in the garage.
FWIW - I would rarely rent an Escalade or Expedition, but due to whatever demand was driving the pricing algorithm at time of booking it was only $1 more for the monster SUV over a premium.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:06 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Rented from here again, picked up Sunday evening. President's Circle selection was worlds better than last time I came through. 3 or 4 300s (in S or S AWD trim), a couple of Avalons, a Pacifica Limited, a Jeep Compass Limited, an Escape, and a Maxima. Five Star even had some appealing (relatively) choices with plenty of Altimas in SL trim and a Maxima, and a bunch of 2018 Camrys in both SE and LE trims.
m907 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.