Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at DCA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at DCA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
DCA Saturday morning again. Reserved G again. Name not on board again. Went to desk, no line thankfully, told to go to PC aisle, I asked "are there Gs or better out there" and was told "yes."

Agent didn't lie. PC aisle was full of Fs and lower (Altima, Corolla, random Korean cars). There was one Chrysler 300C at the very end, thankfully. I took it, it's great, <5k miles handles very well.

Definitely happy to get an I. Still confused as to where all the Gs went... DCA had so many Impalas before UC came onboard, and it would be nice not to have to walk up and down a (long) aisle with luggage just to be able to find a car in the category booked.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Only G or better options at DCA last Saturday were a 300C and a Maxima. The 300C was the same 300C/same plates that I had taken the week before (perfectly fine car), and I ended up taking the Maxima because it was brand (brand) new.

Continued hassle with reserving G while PC is not having my name on the board at all, so I go inside to make sure my reservation is active before going out to the lot.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:52 pm

PC at Hertz DCA was trash this past weekend -- I had only reserved an F, so no way to force a nicer car like when I have had a G reserved. PC aisle was pick-your-Camry, a couple minivans, Kias, Hyundais, and a low-mileage VW Passat, which I begrudgingly took (I have not driven such a weak car in a very long time, ugh).

Can't be too mad at the location though, generally the selection has been quite good, and I've had great success getting a lift back to the terminal on return, which saves a solid ten minutes going out of the C gates.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Terrible experience at DCA. Saturday afternoon, arrived to a mostly empty garage. Presidents Circle had two Camrys and a Sonata. That's it. 5* had 4-5 lame cars (Camrys, a Cruze, Altima). There was an Infiniti QX80 in a PC spot but when I tried to take it an employee told me it was reserved.

So I decided to go for one of the $25 upgrades - there were two Mercedes CLA250s, an Infiniti sedan, and an Audi A3. So I got in a CLA250 then was told at the gate I couldn't rent it because I'm 24 and it's a prestige vehicle. But I have rented prestige cars in the past without issue. I don't blame the employee, I blame Hertz for not having clear policies. I constantly have employees tell me things that don't match what's on their website. One employee will tell me something then the next week I'm told something different. Very frustrated, so I left.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

DCA was barren on Thursday. Almost nothing in Gold, a smattering of sedans in 5* and PC. The only thing good was a single Chrysler 300 in PC.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:30 am

God I hate the DCA Hertz. I've been renting there for five years or more, 2 to 3 times a month, and have never had a good experience with the exception of this past week - and even that took some effort. You know things are bad when you consider an Altima with leather and a backup camera to be a score! And really, I'd be content if I could get that car consistently - nothing exciting but it's comfortable enough at least.

So this past Weds (ok, mid week makes things worse, I know) the PC Ultimate Choice section had a huge pickup truck, a Pathfinder (nice, but simply too big for my purposes) and an Impala (grandpa car). Walked around the other sections, couldn't find anything decent; all I really wanted was an Altima size or better vehicle with leather which shouldn't be a difficult request.

Went inside, they sent me back out with an agent who was totally unhelpful. Another agent (wearing a Dollar shirt) saw my frustration and came over. She started walking the lot with me, I begrudgingly was about to settle for some random midsized SUV (no leather, no backup camera or blind spot indicators, but it was the best in the lot) when she said "hey, they just pulled a Mercedes into Ultimate Choice".

It was a GLC 300. It turns out that it was in the upgrade section, but she put me in it, gave me her name, and said I should have the gate agent call her if they give me any flack. Only problem is, now I want to buy one as my own car :-)

Does anyone know how I formally complement an employee to Hertz? This one did everything in her power to take care of me, for which I am appreciative.

Last edited by levman; Aug 26, 2017 at 8:31 am Reason: Correction
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
DCA Presidents Circle Section On Saturday morning had a Kia midize SUV or a fully loaded Lincoln Navigator. The Navigator had working XM and was generally a comfortable ride. The upgrade section was full of new Land Rovers.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:14 pm

Past few months I've had great luck with reserving a G -- it doesn't seem like there are ever any actual Gs in the PC aisle, so either there's something nicer (I or better) in the PC aisle, or if there isn't, then the agent in the lot tells me to take one of the premium upgrade vehicles without the $25 upcharge.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:20 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Came through there yesterday afternoon...probably the worst location I've ever been to as a PC.

Problem started with my name on the board saying "see counter" - after waiting in line (no gold line attendant), I was then told they could not figure out why that message appeared and I was sent out to the lot.

...and what a disappointing experience that was. Two high mile Camry SEs and a Dodge Grand Caravan. That was it. Gold area was identical, except trade the Camry for a VW Passat and add a few extra Nissan Quest minivans. Staff were completely apathetic and unwilling to find something else for me, and I was flatly denied when asked if I could take one of the 15(!) Infinitis or 8 G's and I's (Maxima, Impala, 300) sitting off to the side. Meanwhile, one porter was driving a Challenger R/T up and down the rows and revving the engine the whole time (quite loud in that low garage). Obnoxious to say the least.

After about 15 minutes of waiting (only cars brought up during this time were a Hyundai Tucson, which smelled like the inside of a locker room, and another Camry that was moved from Gold to PC), I ended up taking a Cruze Premier out of the Compact row because there was literally nothing else. Got to the exit gate, and when cycling through the menu to find the mileage, I landed on the tire pressure gauge. Front tires at 65 and 67 PSI and rears at 56 and 59. The exit gate attendant demonstrated the first semblance of customer service I'd had all day, was very apologetic, and ran to get a tire gauge to let the air out. For the trouble, he told me I could bring it back empty, and while I appreciate the gesture, I'm only driving about 50 miles on this trip.

Tl;dr avoid this station if you can.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dwbf11
Came through there yesterday afternoon...probably the worst location I've ever been to as a PC.

Problem started with my name on the board saying "see counter" - after waiting in line (no gold line attendant), I was then told they could not figure out why that message appeared and I was sent out to the lot.

...and what a disappointing experience that was. Two high mile Camry SEs and a Dodge Grand Caravan. That was it. Gold area was identical, except trade the Camry for a VW Passat and add a few extra Nissan Quest minivans. Staff were completely apathetic and unwilling to find something else for me, and I was flatly denied when asked if I could take one of the 15(!) Infinitis or 8 G's and I's (Maxima, Impala, 300) sitting off to the side. Meanwhile, one porter was driving a Challenger R/T up and down the rows and revving the engine the whole time (quite loud in that low garage). Obnoxious to say the least.

After about 15 minutes of waiting (only cars brought up during this time were a Hyundai Tucson, which smelled like the inside of a locker room, and another Camry that was moved from Gold to PC), I ended up taking a Cruze Premier out of the Compact row because there was literally nothing else. Got to the exit gate, and when cycling through the menu to find the mileage, I landed on the tire pressure gauge. Front tires at 65 and 67 PSI and rears at 56 and 59. The exit gate attendant demonstrated the first semblance of customer service I'd had all day, was very apologetic, and ran to get a tire gauge to let the air out. For the trouble, he told me I could bring it back empty, and while I appreciate the gesture, I'm only driving about 50 miles on this trip.

Tl;dr avoid this station if you can.
Yeah, DCA Hertz lot tends to be empty with apathetic employees who like to tell you about all the cars you can't take.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by dwbf11
Front tires at 65 and 67 PSI and rears at 56 and 59.
Isn't this suppose to be in the 30's?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:47 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by JumboJet
Isn't this suppose to be in the 30's?
Yep! Amazing that a prior renter did not have a blowout. I shudder to think how long it was driving around with those pressures.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
DCA
Premium - Chevy Impala or similar (G)
None
Yes - Jaguar XF 3.5t (listed as K on key fob) w/factory Satnav
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:30 pm

Nearly vacant lot today. I was offered my choice of a burgundy Challenger (RT hemi) or a silver Challenger (same). I took the silver one. Pretty good time driving it around DC!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Nearly vacant lot today. I was offered my choice of a burgundy Challenger (RT hemi) or a silver Challenger (same). I took the silver one. Pretty good time driving it around DC!
Were they in the PC lot or did you have to ask?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.