Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by bbhewee
I had a H4 booked but it was a GLS showing at time of booking. They initially tried to give me an Évoque, but I needed the bigger car
interesting, thanks. I’m actually hoping NOT to get the bigger car....
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold...
You should be fine. They did try and give my dad who was also booked on a H4 a car without sat nav btw.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:51 pm

Report:

Rented Wed, 11/21 at 1am with PC status. The selection was about 75% full, but very much a pick-your-color Malibu/Impala/Maxima/Optima situation. Other than that, a Challenger and a Colorado. No SUV of any kind (according to previous DPs this's rare, right?).

Asked agent and was told no cars would be coming in at this hour, so took the Challenger eventually since it had moonroof.

One interesting side note: agent says the best chance of getting a convertible from PC is morning, around 9-12.
Alclayno likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:37 am

So at LAX, best time is 9am - 12pm, thx.

As a PC member, what are the best cars one can get if want to pay the $25 daily upgrade. Please share your upgrade experience preferably at LAX and/or elsewhere. Trying to find out what are my options as a PC if i want to pay the $25 daily for upgrade.

How often you can pay the $25 upgrade and get the Prestige collection such as Rover?
Thank you much.

Last edited by george2; Dec 1, 2018 at 1:52 am Reason: p.s.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by george2
So at LAX, best time is 9am - 12pm, thx.

As a PC member, what are the best cars one can get if want to pay the $25 daily upgrade. Please share your upgrade experience preferably at LAX and/or elsewhere. Trying to find out what are my options as a PC if i want to pay the $25 daily for upgrade.

How often you can pay the $25 upgrade and get the Prestige collection such as Rover?
Thank you much.
I find LAX’s premium upgrade section to be one of the worse out of major airports. I had rented 30+ times out of LAX this year and usually at premium upgrade section they are pick your model Infinitis(excluding the QX80) and often times the PC aisle has nicer cars than the premium upgrade section. I did once see a C63 and corvette and another time GLS450/escalade/QX80 at the premium upgrade section, but both times they were so low on cars that they had Escalades GLS450 and QX80 at PC aisle. As for “Rover” I don’t know which exact model you are looking for but from time to time there will be one evoque and discovery sport at the PC section and I personally had also gotten a velar once from PC section but that is extremely rare at lax.
Alclayno likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:10 pm

Thank you LJ7006.

Wow, I am impressed that you have rented 30+ times at LAX. You guessed it right as I was thinking of Evoque. Your info was esp. helpful when you said at times PC section is low in cars so they have to move some cars from Premium section to PC so i should take my chance at PC first and walk over to Premium to see if anything I like.

Thanks. It seems it's ok to take a chance & not book a Caddie or Range Rover SUV up front but take a look at PC and Premium. If something really nice shows up at Premium, then negotiate then. Is that the thinking sir?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:13 pm

What are your experience with renting a specific car?

Next month i have rented a (U4) Chevy Camaro SS Convertible so i'm supposed to be guaranteed this exact car. Do they assign me a car that are reserved for me, or can i chose any Camaro SS?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: National EE
Originally Posted by Thomas Eriksen

Next month i have rented a (U4) Chevy Camaro SS Convertible so i'm supposed to be guaranteed this exact car. Do they assign me a car that are reserved for me, or can i chose any Camaro SS?
You'll be assigned to a Camaro SS convertible on the board when you arrive and will receive a carfirmation shortly before your reservation time. You can have a look around the lot or ask them to check if they have more than one and switch into a different color or lower mileage one at the Gold counter.

That is of course assuming Hertz has one on the lot to give you. I have an upcoming reservation for a Corvette at LAX and they no longer have any in the fleet (they only have the Z06). And it is no longer bookable online. Unfortunately this isn't the first time I've run into this. More details available here.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Was there 11/28 at 9am with a C reservation (mid-size) and 5* status. 5* and Gold areas had a plethora of mediocrity - mostly midsize, small SUVs, minivans, one pickup, etc. Asked about any luxury sedans (Infiniti, etc) and was told they were all in the premium upgrade area. But... wait for it... TWO Camero convertibles in 5*, and one over in regular Gold IIRC. Didn't see which trim, because Mrs. JeffISU apparently thought they were "too loud." I waited a few minutes and found a Maxima that just pulled up, Nevada plates, 22k miles, but nice enough and had SiriusXM. Took it and complained to the booth agent why we didn't have the Camero. Besides the Cameros, I was seriously underwhelmed with the 5* and Gold areas.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by george2
Thank you LJ7006.

Wow, I am impressed that you have rented 30+ times at LAX. You guessed it right as I was thinking of Evoque. Your info was esp. helpful when you said at times PC section is low in cars so they have to move some cars from Premium section to PC so i should take my chance at PC first and walk over to Premium to see if anything I like.

Thanks. It seems it's ok to take a chance & not book a Caddie or Range Rover SUV up front but take a look at PC and Premium. If something really nice shows up at Premium, then negotiate then. Is that the thinking sir?
It's really a hit or miss at LAX if you expect an evoque. And normally they won't let them go for less than $50/day extra.
It all depends on luck and if you really want a specific car I suggest you to book the actual car

Hertz has recently changed U4 to Camaro SS or similar(mustang GT) and they do have a much larger fleet of mustang GT convertible than camaro ss convertible

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 9, 2018 at 8:21 am Reason: Multi-quote
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:07 am

Okay, so one should be assigned to me and if its not to my liking i will try and ask around. But naturally i would hope to have a low mileage 2019 pre assigned for me :-)

Originally Posted by LJ7006
Hertz has recently changed U4 to Camaro SS or similar(mustang GT) and they do have a much larger fleet of mustang GT convertible than camaro ss convertible
Hmm i see. They must have changed it within the last few days as i was sure it still showed "this exact model" when i checked last time. Its not like its a big deal for for me to get a Mustang instead, i have rented Mustang Ecoboosts on previous trips and do enjoy the car. But now i have gotten into my head that i would be driving a Camaro so it would be a bit of a letdown.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 9, 2018 at 8:21 am Reason: Consecutive posts merged
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:07 am

I was at LAX a few times this past week and noticed that there are some nice cars to be found on the 5* and Gold lots. PC mostly ends up being pick your own color 300S, Altima, Maxima, while I saw some Infinitis, and even a couple Benz's in the 5* and Gold lots.

If you don't see anything good in the PC lot, I recommend doing a quick browse through the other lots and you might find something you'll like.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:45 pm

Okay, so one should be assigned to me and if its not to my liking i will try and ask around. But naturally i would hope to have a low mileage 2019 pre assigned for me :-)

Hmm i see. They must have changed it within the last few days as i was sure it still showed "this exact model" when i checked last time. Its not like its a big deal for for me to get a Mustang instead, i have rented Mustang Ecoboosts on previous trips and do enjoy the car. But now i have gotten into my head that i would be driving a Camaro so it would be a bit of a letdown.
It would be Mustang GT though, so 5.0 litre V8...goes a bit better than the Ecoboost!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: National EE
Hertz just recently added a V4 category at LAX
- (V4) Mustang/Camaro/Challenger or similar.
It has the adrenaline collection logo beside it so presumably these are all V8 models.

Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by turbov6
Hertz just recently added a V4 category at LAX
- (V4) Mustang/Camaro/Challenger or similar.
It has the adrenaline collection logo beside it so presumably these are all V8 models.
Yep they had changed the classifications since last month, for adrenaline collection now there’s only hardtop or convertible class. Plus corvette.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 11, 2018 at 5:32 pm Reason: image removed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.