FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1848819-consolidated-renting-lax-what-kind-cars-expect-thread.html)

DJ_Iceman Jun 12, 2023 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by highlanderfil (Post 35325376)
And what are the odds of NOT getting an EV if renting in that class?

0%. In fact the chances of getting an EV even if you DON'T rent in that class are decently high at LAX. After my multiple weeks in a row of renting and returning cars while mine was in the shop, I finally asked one of the agents in the gold booth why there were so many Teslas and Polestars all the time. She rolled her eyes and opened up about how someone (it wasn't clear if it was corporate or at the location) had the bright idea that everyone flying into LAX would love electric cars but the reality is that very, very few people do. So they're stuck with a lot full of them, people don't choose them off the aisles, they can't foist them off as "upgrades", and people won't even book them when they are significantly cheaper than gas or hybrid vehicles.

highlanderfil Jun 12, 2023 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 35327043)
0%. In fact the chances of getting an EV even if you DON'T rent in that class are decently high at LAX. After my multiple weeks in a row of renting and returning cars while mine was in the shop, I finally asked one of the agents in the gold booth why there were so many Teslas and Polestars all the time. She rolled her eyes and opened up about how someone (it wasn't clear if it was corporate or at the location) had the bright idea that everyone flying into LAX would love electric cars but the reality is that very, very few people do. So they're stuck with a lot full of them, people don't choose them off the aisles, they can't foist them off as "upgrades", and people won't even book them when they are significantly cheaper than gas or hybrid vehicles.

Good to know. Guess I’ll keep it as a backup in case Avis doesn’t have anything I actually want to drive.

James Groff Jun 20, 2023 3:41 pm

Hi everyone, could use some advice. I have Hertz gold so nothing fancy but at least it gets me to "skip the line". Right now I'm in a C class at Hertz and hoping for a Mid\Full Size SUV in Gold Choice. Enterprise has Standard or Standard Elite SUV's for cheaper then Hertz's UC price.

Seems like a no-brainer to get the "guaranteed" Standard or Standard Elite SUV on the Enterprise side, but will I be in for a headache without the "skip the line" advantages?

Thoughts?

rylan Jun 25, 2023 12:41 pm

If you're asking about the experience with Enterprise in LAX, you should probably ask/post in the Enterprise forum.

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 35327043)

So at LAX they're putting EVs in the ultimate choice area for 5* and PC?

DJ_Iceman Jun 26, 2023 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 35361593)
So at LAX they're putting EVs in the ultimate choice area for 5* and PC?

Yes, tons of them.

Geo01 Jul 17, 2023 4:34 pm

P6 car

I’m thinking of renting a Cadillac Escalade at LAX. Any chance of getting a guarantee on it? Think they fall under P6 group. Any ideas what P6 group might include in LAX?

rylan Jul 17, 2023 8:08 pm

I think you'd have to reserve that group whatever it is... guessing luxury SUV. The exact type won't be guaranteed.

My rental at LAX prior to the 4th weekend there wasn't anything exciting in the PC or 5* rows, probably due to the holiday.

corolla Jul 21, 2023 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 35237784)
Man, I can't wait for my car to get out of the body shop so I can stop dealing with Hertz at LAX. Returned last week's Chrysler 300 twelve hours ago; still no receipt indicating it was returned. This week's vehicle is a Ford Flex; I got an email last night saying that was the car and asking me to write their platinum email address if I wanted to request a different vehicle. I did, saying I'd prefer something more luxurious, if possible. Guess what vehicle was waiting for me this morning. At least there were no huge lines to get out the exit gates, although I was still there for almost ten minutes because, according to the agent at the gate, the platinum folks forgot to process the rental correctly so she had to keep scanning, typing, scanning, typing...

Ford Flexes shouldn’t be given to platinum customers given how old these vehicles are. Based on your experience here (including above posts) LAX is definitely one of the worst airport locations to treat platinums.

rylan Jul 21, 2023 5:48 pm

LAX just puts whatever they have in the PC area. If its not a busy time you may get lucky with something decent... but otherwise you'll see lots of 300s in the PC area and a few generic SUVs with some scattered EVs around. The one time I saw anything interesting was a really random off week with some convertibles and higher end lexus in PC..

lustinchi Jul 21, 2023 7:23 pm

I have a reservation for a DCAR at LAX. What can I get? MB 250CLA? Audi A3?

cjd600 Jul 22, 2023 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Geo01 (Post 35421872)
I’m thinking of renting a Cadillac Escalade at LAX. Any chance of getting a guarantee on it? Think they fall under P6 group. Any ideas what P6 group might include in LAX?

I was there a couple of months ago, with P6, also hoping for an Escalade.
They had none, got a smelly QX80.
Took it back next day,still no Escalades.
Ended up swapping out for a brand new Suburban.

Mobe30 Jul 25, 2023 8:59 pm

Renting car in two week

Hey guys, I’m renting a SUV (medium 5 passenger , L class) and am a Hertz 5 star golf member. What car can I expect, I will be there on a Wednesday night.

thanks

LJ7006 Aug 17, 2023 10:34 pm

I was LAX on Friday the 11th.
Noticed that they had a large fleet of brand new Subaru Solterra, all base model with hub caps and cloth seat.
And highlight was I saw a brand new Maserati Grecale in ultimate series but it was locked so I couldn't see what class it was.
Gold was empty and I noticed that 5S no longer exist.
PC was mostly empty and 80% of the PC selection were malibus while others were midsize/fullsize vehicles.

Soccerra Aug 19, 2023 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by LJ7006 (Post 35507200)
I was LAX on Friday the 11th.
Noticed that they had a large fleet of brand new Subaru Solterra, all base model with hub caps and cloth seat.
And highlight was I saw a brand new Maserati Grecale in ultimate series but it was locked so I couldn't see what class it was.
Gold was empty and I noticed that 5S no longer exist.
PC was mostly empty and 80% of the PC selection were malibus while others were midsize/fullsize vehicles.

This location Gold just about doesnt exist. Far and away the worst location in the system. When they move to the consolidated facility I am hoping that maybe things will change/be more organized.

Rusty86 Aug 23, 2023 3:07 am

Hertz or National

Heading to LAX early September for 17 days, doing a lot of miles, I've got a Premium Elite SUV from National booked as well as Luxury 7 Seater SUV from Hertz. I don't need 7 seats but want a luxury SUV (X3/5 Q5 Aviator/Nautilus etc) Used both national and hertz many times but always find stock options low at LAX. Arriving 2pm Tuesday Afternoon which one offers the better chance of getting a decent 5-7 seater SUV.

Im leaning to national as they are usually more flexible but im Gold PC with Hertz.