Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LJ7006
Just picked up today at LAX at 5pm

Probably the best stock I've ever seen
PC lot was full with about every type of hertz car you can think of except dream cars.
Notable units:
Audi A3 and A4
BMW 330i, 430i, X3, 530i
Volvo S60, XC90
Dodge Durango RT
None of those left this morning
Got an XTS though.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by LJ7006
Just picked up today at LAX at 5pm

Probably the best stock I've ever seen
PC lot was full with about every type of hertz car you can think of except dream cars.
Notable units:
Audi A3 and A4
BMW 330i, 430i, X3, 530i
Volvo S60, XC90
Dodge Durango RT
Wow, impressive!
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:19 pm

Was there this past Thursday night just after midnight, and probably the fullest I've seen PC.
As well as what you'd usually expect to see, of note was;
Chevy Suburban
Mustang soft top
Dodge RAM V8
Dodge Challenger HEMI
BMW 740i

I took the BMW 740i because it was a 2020 model and had 1700 miles on it.
It smelt of smoke which is why I'd assume it was there in PC.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
L4 can be an Equinox as well - I doubt there's much advantage in an Equinox over a Rogue.

With President's Circle you should be able to pick up something equivalent from the lot - but with regular Gold your best hope might be to switch for whatever minivan is left over, if at all.
I have not had much experience with renting cars so sorry if this question seems so simple (also I did try to read through this topic but there is a lot of posts).

I went to a local dealership and tested boot space. I will move up class to L4! If I booked a L4 specifically as it has sufficient room for my luggage (I have looked at boot space for all cars on the L4 list), and a 7 seater so we can travel with the people we are meeting up with in LA (after we dump luggage at accomodation), what are the odds I would actually get a L4 class? From other posts on here as a basic gold member it seems I could just walk up and grab any card in the Gold lot no matter what I booked / paid for. What happens if there are no L4 cars left? I know it says on the site "If we are unable to provide a vehicle in your requested car group, we will provide a vehicle from the next available car group up at no extra charge.", but what if a minivan does not suit my needs, or it's a larger SUV that uses 50% more fuel than my booked class. Sure I'd be happy with a car that is better in most ways, but it would need to fit the needs I booked an L4 for. I assume it may be a "tough luck" situation, but just want to ensure the month I have the car which will be used significantly suits.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I was wrong in my earlier post - Equinox is an L, not an L4, by the way.

However the terms of the contract cover what will happen - you'll get an L4, or something that Hertz considers better. If that doesn't suit you, you can grab anything from the Gold lot but practically speaking, it's unlikely that anything better than an L4 will be available there if they didn't have anything suitable for you in the first place - although things can change after allocation.

If they really can't provide anything suitable then you can either downgrade with a rate adjustment, or cancel. While the vast majority of reservations end up with you being assigned something appropriate, even if it's slightly disappointing in terms of performance, you don't have any effective remedy if the assigned vehicle doesn't meet your size/space needs:

1. Try Gold;
2. Ask for an alternative vehicle to be assigned;
3. Re-rate;
4. Cancel and book from someone else.

But please don't overthink it as you're likely to have your needs covered. Ultimately there is probably no perfect vehicle - the size of a Traverse with the economy of a Trax - so you're always going to be compromising somewhat and therefore just try to be as positive about what you're given as you can be.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
But please don't overthink it as you're likely to have your needs covered. .
Good advice. All prior rentals (this will be my largest) I have had ended up with me stressing out over things (will I get an appropriate car? is that tiny scratch that I swear I didn't do be an issue). I'll just book a big car and care less about it being perfect (so long as it hold our stuff) and being form outside US the insurances are all included with nil excess so that takes worry out of it.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Monday 1PM in PC:

Dodge Caravans - multiple
MBZ SLC 340 - 2
Dodge Challenger HEMI
Toyota 4Runner Offroad
Chevy Suburban
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:51 am

Holy cow PC was a good selection last night! (Thursday 16th about 8pm) It was pretty full and I was walking up expecting to take my usual Fusion Hybrid Titanium but then I saw some standouts:

• Volvo XC90 T6 AWD (which I took, yay!)
  • Lincoln Continental
  • Cadillac ATS and CTS
  • Mercedes A Class
  • Infiniti QX50
  • A bunch of new-ish Mustang convertibles including a couple of GT's
  • Chevrolet Blazer
  • A HUGE Dodge Ram (it seemed fancy but I'm not a truck guy so I couldn't tell you any more about it)
I walked over to Gold and some choices you don't often see including a brand spanking new Chevy Silverado, a Hyundai Kona, Buick Regal Sportback, Toyota Highlander
Interestingly there wasn't a single car in the Full size section and they seemed to be using a lot of that space for returns.
Auto Enthusiast and Kore like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:50 pm

I rented a U4 (Mustang GT or Camaro SS) for pickup on January 4

We got a grey (boring, cars like that deserve bright colors) Mustang GT registered in late November 2019 and had 2936 miles on it. so really satisfied with the rental.

(We drove 2042 miles in total over the 13 day rental period)

Kore, Bjam99 and srh007 like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:58 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Was at LAX again night of 1/22
There were alot of minivans and large SUV.
Minivans were pick your color Grand Caravan/Pacifica/Voyager
By a lot I mean over 80% of PC/5 star and half of gold are Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban, and even fullsize section was filled with tahoes/yukons/minivans.
Surprisingly every sienna and expedition were at the reserved area.
PC had a few mustang GTs and base camaro, also 1 QX 50 and QX80

Highlights:
Gold and 5 star each had a few QX50 but all were very high mileage.
Other than that nothing really stood out other than multiple convertibles at 5 star and gold.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:57 am

There was still a lot of Tahoe/Suburban's there last night (01/23 at 8pm-ish) but there was 4, yes 4! which had the yellow stickers saying 'no keys' on them.

Other than that, nothing too exciting in PC or 5* There was a bunch of Subaru Legacy (Legacies?) on Colorado plates in 5* and also a new Ford Expedition Limited MAX with about 1k miles. PC was mainly Kia Sorrento's but I did spot a Cadillac XTS, and a Mercedes SLC. I guess the Fusions have done their time on fleet.

I've lost my PC status for this year (sadface!) So I may finally bite the bullet and check out some of the other LAX Car Rental agencies as I've only used Hertz for the last few years and I wanna see if the grass is any greener.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Bjam99
There was still a lot of Tahoe/Suburban's there last night (01/23 at 8pm-ish) but there was 4, yes 4! which had the yellow stickers saying 'no keys' on them.

Other than that, nothing too exciting in PC or 5* There was a bunch of Subaru Legacy (Legacies?) on Colorado plates in 5* and also a new Ford Expedition Limited MAX with about 1k miles. PC was mainly Kia Sorrento's but I did spot a Cadillac XTS, and a Mercedes SLC. I guess the Fusions have done their time on fleet.

I've lost my PC status for this year (sadface!) So I may finally bite the bullet and check out some of the other LAX Car Rental agencies as I've only used Hertz for the last few years and I wanna see if the grass is any greener.
I flew into ontario airport two weeks ago and that day ontario airport had ~20-30 brand new 2020 fusions across all sections. Bad thing is that they are base model without push button start, definitely worse than the 2019 models.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:15 pm

Sep 2019 @ LAX

Booked a Large SUV (T) at LAX picking up late on a Friday evening - no larger SUVs available for hours.

Was offered a Lincoln Nautilus - being British I had no idea what this was. Agent suggested I have a look around the lot - saw several 2019 Range Rover Sports and asked for one which they accommodated as didn’t need 7 seats.

Great spec V6 models - only drawback was lack of carplay but this feature is only found on 2020- RR sport.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 25, 2020 at 2:39 pm Reason: Moved into dedicated thread for this location
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: National EE, Avis PP
Anyone rent/upgrade to dream cars in this location as of late?

Been looking to grab a 911 or Boxster for a weekend but can't decide if it'd be easier/cheaper to ask for the upgrade. Granted also gonna be worried about availability.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:10 pm

Who was at the LAX Hertz location today(Jan 27th) around 11:00am? It was a a pleasant supply of nice cars for about 10-15 minutes. I guess there was a few new car jockeys dropping off cars, and they didn't know what cars go to the PC section versus the premium upgrades and dream.
For a few lucky ones, there were bunch of Range Rovers, BMW 5 series, Jaguar's, MB SLK's in the PC section. Guess one of the supervisor/manager finally noticed and 'trained' the jockeys where to drop the cars off. At least they honored those that drove off with them in the PC section. I was a little too late, and was only able to observe the good fortunes, and I left in one of the Mustang 5.0's.
Kore likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.