Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Evr13
In September of last year I booked 3 days in Chicago in the category T4 (Xt5) and I received the GLS450, now I booked Z4 and it's 14 days and I hope to have something decent, my concern is that I do not like the QX60 or the Discovery Sport but it was the best price. I would settle for GLC350 or GLE350
By the way do you know how old the cars can be at most?
Actually they reclassified the discovery sport so those are T4 too now. I can guarantee you are very likely receiving a QX60 as they just got a fleet of brand new I Infiniti, I was there yesterday and there were many brand new Q50/QX60 at the PC aisle
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:22 am

thanks for the information, I hope to have more options because the QX60 I do not like anything but if at least it is new I guess it will be fine
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:59 am

All - this may have been answered and i am sorry if it has! I have an upcoming LAX rental using points - i am in the presidents circle - how does this work with choosing your own car?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:03 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Suggest you review https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Basically, as a PC member, as long as the car is not parked in a Reserved or Upgrade space, you may select it for your rental at the same rate as your reservation, even with an award. Normal awards redeem up to a Premium car; if you have reserved that, then you will be assigned a car in that class. You can either take that or select from the lot.

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service
Alclayno likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Suggest you review https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Basically, as a PC member, as long as the car is not parked in a Reserved or Upgrade space, you may select it for your rental at the same rate as your reservation, even with an award. Normal awards redeem up to a Premium car; if you have reserved that, then you will be assigned a car in that class. You can either take that or select from the lot.

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

thats great thanks for your help
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:22 pm

Arrived at LAX around 6pm today (3/13).

PC was fully stocked but didn't have a too close look since I catched a Dodge Challenger R/T from there right away.
The Challenger had Arizona licence and already some scratches + 30k miles on it. I was looking for a V8 muscle car so I didn't really mind.

Other than that some 300, pick your color random sedans and additionally a few SUV (GMC Acadia 2x among it) and two pick-up trucks.

Couple of Jags and Infinitis in the premium upgrade section.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: AA, BA, Hertz
Similar PC experience over the weekend. Arrived Friday at 9.00pm (3/15), PC fully stocked with mainly 300s. I picked out a high mileage Camaro out of curiosity more than anything as I'd never driven one before. The following day was very hot, and I discovered the aircon was just blowing hot air. I had a long drive up the coast ahead of me, so rang customer services and took it back to LAX - a 30 minute drive from where I was. Was dealt with very efficiently, and they put me in a Challenger R/T with 2000 miles on the clock, for the remainder of my rental period.

I have no idea what people do to these cars, but it was covered in fine scratches and luggage scrapes on the rear bumper. As for the Challenger itself - it was an experience. I find it hard to get excited about a car that makes that much noise without an equivalent amount of immediate performance. Or maybe that's the point.

I drive a TT which is much more responsive without all the fire and brimstone. Of the two, the Camaro was more fun to drive.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Appreciate this thread as I rent from LAX 3-4 times per year. Last time I ended up with a 4Runner. I used to have one that I loved...2005 V8. New ones are 6 cylinder only and it sucked .... No power and crappy turning radius. I typically just try to find something with low miles and a USB charger (that works). I promise to be more vigilant about supporting this thread with photos of the PC lot. Back in mid-May.

Side note-Marriott top tier elites no longer receive Hertz President's Circle status match, so maybe the selections will be better in the future.

Last edited by CO-PLAT; Mar 19, 2019 at 1:39 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by GWS
Have a reservation for a Z4 class vehicle in 2 weeks at LAX. Wondering what the chances are I might get the Discovery over the QX60. Plan to be in some light off road/ possible snow and would prefer the Land Rover, but I feel like I usually see way more Infinities at most Hertz locations.
What did you get at the end and what options did you have?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Appreciate this thread as I rent from LAX 3-4 times per year. Last time I ended up with a 4Runner. I used to have one that I loved...2005 V8. New ones are 4 cylinder only and it sucked .... No power and crappy turning radius. I typically just try to find something with low miles and a USB charger (that works). I promise to be more vigilant about supporting this thread with photos of the PC lot. Back in mid-May.

Side note-Marriott top tier elites no longer receive Hertz President's Circle status match, so maybe the selections will be better in the future.
They do not make a 4cyl 4Runner... 4.0L V6 is the only engine option.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
They do not make a 4cyl 4Runner... 4.0L V6 is the only engine option.
Yes. Corrected.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Adrenaline Collection

Trying to decide on an upcoming LAX rental in May, and wondering re the Adrenaline collection...

American Muscle (Group V4) shows as Camaro SS/Mustang GT or similar (and shows a Challenger in the photo too...) - Anyone got any recent experience as to what's currently available? Do they throw convertibles into that group too?

And Standard Elite Convertible (Group U4) shows as a Camaro SS convertible or similar, so not guaranteed (I'm sure I've rented that before as a guaranteed car) - here too, what else could they offer me in that group?

Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by clubman
Trying to decide on an upcoming LAX rental in May, and wondering re the Adrenaline collection...

American Muscle (Group V4) shows as Camaro SS/Mustang GT or similar (and shows a Challenger in the photo too...) - Anyone got any recent experience as to what's currently available? Do they throw convertibles into that group too?

And Standard Elite Convertible (Group U4) shows as a Camaro SS convertible or similar, so not guaranteed (I'm sure I've rented that before as a guaranteed car) - here too, what else could they offer me in that group?

Thanks!
From my experience and contacting Hertz:
V4 = Challenger RT (90% chance) or Mustang GT hardtop
U4 = Mustang GT convertible 90% chance
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by glostix
From my experience and contacting Hertz:
V4 = Challenger RT (90% chance) or Mustang GT hardtop
U4 = Mustang GT convertible 90% chance
Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:32 pm

I would like to rent a car in Los Angeles Airport (return in SFO) for 12 days. I am a President Circle. What class should I book if I want to choose a car from President Circle Zone? C/ICAR? Should I do it on hertz.com or can I use a broker like RentalCars?

For first 2 days I want to rent a cabrio like Mustang and after that I want to change a car for a SUV. Should I do 1 reservation or 2?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.