Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at DTW; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at DTW; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by carzaddict
I've been consistently taking a Ford Fusion from 5*....its the best option available.
In all honesty, it's probably the best choice for getting a vehicle with okay features, low mileage, and great gas mileage. I still like the Maxima SL's over the fusions, but the only couple maxima SL's ive seen (as a PC member) have had over 20k miles on them.

Fusions - Lots of options under 1k. Keep your eyes out for upgraded models at DTW in your lot.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:37 am
Original Poster

PC was about around half full with full-size sedans this morning. I noted a Buick, Impala, Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler (I've seen several of these lately). The only upgrade space had a Jaguar XE.

I've made several "reserve this exact model" bookings recently, and so far they've never had what I reserved in stock. The staff are really nice and helpful, but there's only so much they can do when they don't have the car.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Picked up around noon today for a weekend road trip. Nice selection in the Five Star area. Fusion/Malibu/Impala/Camry/Jeep 4x4/LaCrosse.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have a Jeep Wrangler booked for later this month. What are the chances I'll receive this exact model? What trim level and exact model do they have at DTW? The booking says it can be 2dr/4dr.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:16 am

finally made it to PC level, however the choices this morning were boring. nothing special or different than what 5* was offering. a bunch of Fusions, Impalas, some Chevy SUV (forgot the name), a Buick SUV.

i was about to settle for a Fusion again....when I saw a porter parking an Infiniti Q60 coupe into the 5* section. I immediately ran over and took it. 25k miles....has a whining sound coming from the front axle.

Its not severely impacting the way the car drives. I can drown the noise out with music. Im wondering if I should call Hertz and have them come replace it for me. They'll probably bring me some boring car ....thoughts?
Old May 14, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avneeshj
I have a Jeep Wrangler booked for later this month. What are the chances I'll receive this exact model? What trim level and exact model do they have at DTW? The booking says it can be 2dr/4dr.
In the last few weeks they've had a large batch of Wranglers delivered at DTW, and it's a new option to book a class V. I think you're pretty likely to get one. All the ones I've seen have been 2dr.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by mnic
In the last few weeks they've had a large batch of Wranglers delivered at DTW, and it's a new option to book a class V. I think you're pretty likely to get one. All the ones I've seen have been 2dr.
Thanks for the info. I currently have V class booked. Good to know that I'll actually be receiving it. I'm hoping they're the better specced ones. Any clue what trims they have there AT DTW? In case they have multiple available it could be useful to know. I'm not from the US so don't know much about specific trim levels
Old May 15, 2018, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avneeshj
Thanks for the info. I currently have V class booked. Good to know that I'll actually be receiving it. I'm hoping they're the better specced ones. Any clue what trims they have there AT DTW? In case they have multiple available it could be useful to know. I'm not from the US so don't know much about specific trim levels
I was a passenger in one last week. It was a pretty basic trim (cloth seats, smaller in-dash screen) but it was brand new and still a good fun car. This one had a removable hard-top, which you can't take off unless you have a place to store it and confidence in the weather, but there were smaller easily removable panels above the driver and passenger seat which you could throw in the back if the sun is shining. This is just a sample of one car though, and as always when renting cars you should expect the minimum and anything better than that is a pleasant bonus.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

They were really low on cars this afternoon. 5* was empty and so they were being instructed to take from PC. The staff were working hard to keep cars coming out, but I sensed that it was a stressful day.
PC had a Q50, Tahoe, Expedition (looked like 2016 or earlier), Land Cruiser, several Impalas, Equinox and the usual full-size sedans. @avneeshj I saw yet another Jeep Wrangler heading out of the gate and this time it was a 4-door hard-top.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:19 am

I was a passenger in one last week. It was a pretty basic trim (cloth seats, smaller in-dash screen) but it was brand new and still a good fun car. This one had a removable hard-top, which you can't take off unless you have a place to store it and confidence in the weather, but there were smaller easily removable panels above the driver and passenger seat which you could throw in the back if the sun is shining. This is just a sample of one car though, and as always when renting cars you should expect the minimum and anything better than that is a pleasant bonus.
Thanks for the info I'm expecting a 2 Dr hard top base model and I guess anything better would be much appreciated The front top panels can just be stored in the boot, no? Does hertz T&C stop us from removing those?

They were really low on cars this afternoon. 5* was empty and so they were being instructed to take from PC. The staff were working hard to keep cars coming out, but I sensed that it was a stressful day.
PC had a Q50, Tahoe, Expedition (looked like 2016 or earlier), Land Cruiser, several Impalas, Equinox and the usual full-size sedans. @avneeshj I saw yet another Jeep Wrangler heading out of the gate and this time it was a 4-door hard-top.
Good to know they have 4 doors as well and I'd prefer this so kids can get in the back easier
Old May 16, 2018, 7:12 pm

wait, Hertz has Land Cruisers!? iiiiinteresting!
strickerj likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Always arrive Saturday mornings at DTW, and here's what I've gotten recently from the PC lot:

MLK weekend: Ford Fusion. Other choices included other full sized sedans. Too cold to shop around since nothing stood out and I needed to get my Californian a** into a car ASAP.

Cesar Chavez weekend: RR Evoque with 600 miles. Other cars included a Ford Flex, some full sized short bed pickups, and several big 3 mid/full sized sedans.

5/19: Chrysler 300 S AWD. I've never seen this PC lot so barren, and the other choices were some Avalons (One had 26k miles and worn seats!), a few LaCrosses, a regular Chrysler 300, a Subaru Legacy, and some Fusions/Impalas.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:36 pm

Does anyone have experience renting a Infiniti QX80 from the prestige collection at DTW? Are these 2018 model year cars with low mileage, or older high mileage cars? Do these come with navigation?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matrix42
Does anyone have experience renting a Infiniti QX80 from the prestige collection at DTW? Are these 2018 model year cars with low mileage, or older high mileage cars? Do these come with navigation?
I had a 2017 QX80 with 24k miles around 8 weeks ago. Not sure about Navi because I always use my phone, but it was a really nice ride. You never know what you're going to get. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.
matrix42 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:37 pm

I had a 2017 QX80 with 24k miles around 8 weeks ago. Not sure about Navi because I always use my phone, but it was a really nice ride. You never know what you're going to get. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.
Thanks! I got a great deal on a Mercedes Benz GLC/Range Rover Evoque (Prestige Collection), so I'm thinking about cancelling the QX80 and just going with the GLC for almost $150 less for the week ($390 vs almost $540).

Has anyone rented a GLC300 from Hertz recently? If so, did you end up getting a GLC or an Evoque? It sold out the moment I booked it, so it must be the last one they had. Hope I get a GLC. Not a fan of RR interiors.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.