Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at DTW; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at DTW; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
My last 2 trips through Detroit have seen a pretty poor selection of cars on the PC.

Ended up with a Toyota Avalon with Nevada plates and 33K miles on the odometer last week. Better than all the 300s sitting there.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:55 am

Sport car

do they have scat packs challengers ?
Old May 31, 2019, 12:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Thursday night of Memorial Day Weekend:
Gold board was busted, no carfiramtion email to notify me of reserved space my car was in, had to stand in line for 15 minutes to have a 20 second question answered.
PC area had plenty of 4 doors, a few intermediate SUV's, 1 Dodge Pick Up truck.
QX60 had 23K miles on it. Interior was a little worn, but still was a fun drive. AC worked great!

Monday afternoon, Memorial Day:
A little bit more premium selection, a few 300's, 1 infiniti sedan, a dodge SUV, and a base mustang
Customer service at return line was equally anemic and apathetic
Old May 31, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Am Elite, HH Diamond, BonVoy Gold Elite, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, StarAlliance Gold
Thanks for the intel
was about to try to revive this thread, as I am going to dtw in 10 days and wanted know if some has info about recent fleet additions, etc
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:20 pm

Tonight in PC:
- Several 2019 Santa Fes
- 2x Jeep Cherokee
- 3x Chevy Trax (o_O)
- Chrysler 300
- Chevy Traverse
- 2-3 Chevy Equinox
- Couple Kia Optimas
- Nissan Sentra
​​​
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I have a 3-day rental at DTW in a few weeks. For my dates here are some of the rates:
* C (ICAR): $31/day
* S (SPAR): $43/day (pick-up)
* V4 (RSAR): $68/day (muscle car)
* Manager's special: $43/day

There was a D2 (Dodge Challenger) for about $59/day, but that is now sold out.
When I did this trip last year, I went with V (IJAR), Jeep Wrangler, for about $40/day, but that's been sold out since I've been looking.
Prestige SUV (T or RFAR) is $90/day, but I don't want to spend that much for a regular SUV...unless I'd get something wild. Anyone know what I might get? Sample is Cady XT5.

There are intermediate ($43) and standard ($59) SUV's available too.

For now I reserved the SPAR, just to have something different. I can't remember the last time I've even driven a pick-up truck, and for $43/day seemed like a good idea.

What does the group think? Stick with the pick-up, take a chance with mid-size and selecting what is on the line, go with Manager's special, or maybe the muscle car?
From what I remember, they usually have upgrades available on-site, but the prices aren't too good.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:26 pm

Was at DTW this morning (Thursday 11am-ish), lot was pretty cleaned out. Best cars were a single Chrysler 300 and a couple base model Chargers in PC, after that it was down to Impalas, Sentras, Trax. No trucks, no other SUVs. Hung around for a bit and they weren't bringing anything else out.

Ended up taking a BMW 530i from Premium Upgrades since I haven't driven one of these yet and it's a short rental. Very smooth ride, good for a long drive (even on Michigan roads)
cestmoi123, aztimm and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

I ended up sticking with the SPAR. When my flight landed at DTW, my, "carfirmation," said I had a red Dodge Ram 1500. It was a pretty good ride. It was in an assigned space (#9 I think), and a very quick walk from the bus drop-off. I really enjoyed driving it and got a few comments from people. It had about 6500 miles on it when I drove off (I put a few hundred on it), and was fairly loaded.... Had Car Play, SXM, a decent HVAC system, electric folding mirrors (they were quite wide!). It was pretty much like driving a full-sized SUV, with a truck bed behind. I never used the bed, stuck my bags in the back seat going to/from my hotel. It was a little high (I joked saying I'd need a stool to get in, but a short person might have difficulty).
Not a bad ride for $43/day (my total was $171 w/ all taxes/fees for 3 days).

I always look through the list of options now when reserving...never know what you'll find for a decent price.

strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Was there yesterday at noon. Very slim pickings...but...of like the five vehicles I saw, three were BMW 530i's.

It's a really nice ride! Drives great. I still think the loaded 2019 fusion titaniums are my go to, as they are feature loaded, but the 530i isn't too bad!
aztimm likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold MM, Hertz PC, Hyatt Globalist
Rented at DTW last week and got a BMW 530i. Great car. Slim pickings otherwise.
CMK10 and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Unexciting selection today - 5pm on Tuesday. There was 1 BMW 530i that was being taken as I arrived but otherwise nothing that was really noteworthy.
Five Star had a few sedans, 2 Dodge Caravans and some small SUVs
PC had:
2 Dodge Caravans
2 Chrysler Pacificas
1 Chrysler 300
1 Ford Fusion Titanium
1 Camry
1 Rav4
4 Hyundai compact and mid-size SUVs
1 Honda Civic
1 Ram 1500 Pickup (with 23K miles on it)
1 Chevy Mailbu
1 Ford Edge
1 Ford Escape
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by noah
Unexciting selection today - 5pm on Tuesday.
So which did you take?

Was the truck red, like the one I posted above? I wonder if it is the same one. More miles on it, but I guess 23k sounds about right.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
So which did you take?

Was the truck red, like the one I posted above? I wonder if it is the same one. More miles on it, but I guess 23k sounds about right.
It was not red; it was grey. I almost took it but the cloth seats and 23K miles had me looking for something else. I took the Ford Hybrid. It had the best tech of all the cars on the aisle. I actually enjoyed it and appreciated that it used a lot less gas.

The Jaguar XE I picked up at PDX 9 hours after returning the car was much more fun
aztimm likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:20 am

Hey all, renting from DTW next week. I'm PC and am hoping to get a minivan from the Ultimate Aisle. Anyone have reports on the cars available there recently?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by vr67
Hey all, renting from DTW next week. I'm PC and am hoping to get a minivan from the Ultimate Aisle. Anyone have reports on the cars available there recently?
I'll be there sunday and can report back. I don't think I've ever seen a minivan in the PC section (or any section). But that's one of those vehicles I wouldn't notice. I'll report back Sunday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.