Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SAN (Diego); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at SAN (Diego); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Feb 18, 2023, 10:33 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Poor Experience As Presidents Club - Down Graded :(

I'm fairly new to president club and mostly rent as top tier at avis. On this trip I specifically rented a Tesla Model Y as I was thinking of purchasing one.

When I arrived my name wasn't on the display. After entering the service booth they said they didn't have a model Y and offered a model 3 and a small voucher good for a year. I asked about other cars and they brushed it off. Reading today I see they should have offered other choices on the lot. The tesla only had 68% charge and driving just 15 miles with normal acceleration its only at 58%. Feels odd.

Do I have any choices to go back to switch or call the presidents phone number to help? I'm really not interested in driving the model3 especially since a 15 mile drive took 10% of the battery charge.

All my best, Craig
Old Feb 23, 2023, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
Slim pickings in PC. Was hoping for a M3 LR, model Y, or a decent 3 row SUV. When I got there, all they had were 7 M3s, a Polestar, a really basic Toyota Sienna with 24k miles, a Nissan Maxima, and a Malibu.

Of course after I took the basic model 3, they pulled up a larger Infiniti SUV, a Denali, and a Durango.
Old May 17, 2023, 7:16 pm

I needed a car for one night, the 20th to the 21st. I really didnt want to rent a car, but in the end it made the most sense.. I checked Kayak first....ok ~48$ a day, reasonable, Autoslash, about the same, whatever, I am going to book directly on Hertz, they are priced similar.

Ok, so the first thing is a small tuck, $49.. no, Managers special, $49. Keep scrolling.. its all $49 dollars. All the cars are $49. Wait, a Shelby, $79... ehh no, not for one night in town, more $49 cars. ..., Tesla for $39. HOLY HECK, a Polestar for $29, I am booking that. Booked and confirmed. Lets see how this works out.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Priority Pass
Went to SAN on 12/26 to pick up a car for a 1 way back to PHX. Needed a gas-powered car with enough room for big luggage and presents (there were a lot).

The only cars in PC were a 2018 Mercedes CLA, 4 Mustangs (2 convertibles), several Bolts and Polestars. 5* and Gold had Bolts, a Trax (too small and no cruise control), an older Rogue (already occupied when I got there) and a Charger (smelled like smoke and needed an oil change). The lady at the Gold counter was not helpful, so I asked a manager passing by the lot for any midsize SUV as soon as it came out of the wash.

30 minutes later, a GMC Acadia and a 2023 Rogue appeared. Manager let me have first choice since I was PC. A couple with Gold had more luggage than I did, and I wanted better MPG for the drive home. I took the Rogue (9k miles) and let them have the GMC. All the luggage and presents fit (car was packed), and ProPilot Assist was helpful on the long highway drive.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS 100k, National EE, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
PC Dec 2023: no SUV, a bunch of people waiting for a SUV (some are swaps). The only one was locked in upgrade section and someone took one with key from office. Had to ask for an upgrade for Mercedes GL for 100 USD. They also do upgrade to minivan for 100 USD, or Ford Explorer for 50 USD. My trip is one-way. I took Explorer which has some defects.

Edit:
PC Aug 2022: a lot better than 2023. took Subaru Ascent. have a bunch of Subaru outback
5* Dec 2016: mostly full size and medium sedans

Last edited by yupenn; Apr 13, 2024 at 7:05 pm
Old May 26, 2024, 8:40 am

April 28 2024 - Lot was unusually full for a Sunday night. PC had a good assortment of Mercedes and Volvo SUV's plus a couple of Bolts and Polestars. 5* had a pair of Mustang & Camaro convertibles, a shiny new 2024 Mustang, and the usual sedan and SUV assortment. Gold was mostly small sedans and compact SUVs. Ended up grabbing the Mustang convertible from 5*. Higher mileage, but really clean and drove just fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.