Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SAN (Diego); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at SAN (Diego); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spanishflea
SAN seems to be slowly getting back to normal, far fewer cars packed together in aisles and a lot more customers moving around the garage yesterday. The PC aisle was poor but not terrible, pick your color Impala, a few Chevrolet Colorado pick-ups and a few Kia SUVs. I almost took a Jeep Cherokee but it was filthy, so ended up taking a brand new GMC Acadia.

The garage was well stocked with decent cars, but all the vehicles you would normally find in PC were in the Premium Upgrade section or the Reserved section (Cadillac, Mercedes, Challenger, Mustang).
Yep, just picked up a 2020 Challenger GT AWD with under 500 miles
Old Jul 7, 2020, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mcdonoughdr
Yep, just picked up a 2020 Challenger GT AWD with under 500 miles
Very nice! Was it from the PC section or the Premium Upgrade section?
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Very nice! Was it from the PC section or the Premium Upgrade section?
Booked direct as a D2 as a 5 Star. Honestly the D2 sports are so cheep there often only a few dollars more then a midsize, but still a great car for Hertz current situation lol
Old Aug 2, 2020, 11:01 pm

SAN feels like it is slowly coming back to normal. Only a few rows of parked up vehicles now, and more staff roaming around. The PC section had a Chrysler 300S, Jeep Cherokee and a bunch of the usual mid-size SUVs from Kia and Nissan. Interestingly there were two MY20 Dodge Challenger GT cars, one of which I took and it only had 2,000 miles on the clock.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 9:52 am

Now SAN is pretty much back to normal. All the parked up vehicles have now gone and the Gold Desk is back open again. PC had an average selection of vehicles with a number of Impalas, Rogues and a few 300S. Premium Upgrades was mainly small Mercedes, Cadillacs and a few Mustangs. Annoyingly there was a very nice 5.0 Mustang convertible parked right next to the PC zone, such a tease Hertz! I ended up taking a 300S.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 10:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Rented from them today.

The lot looked empty but then every aisle from economy all the way to PC were stocked.

Wasn't expecting much as hertz had sold off most of the nice cars.

Gold/5S/PC had almost the exact same selection.
Pick your color malibu/impala/altima/optima/rogue/encore

Best car at PC was an evoque with 5000 miles but smelled like people were smoking marijuana for a long time inside.
2nd best were a Terrain and Blazer(I took) both with ~1000 miles on the clock.

Interesting find.
There was a 2017 fusion with 6000miles on the clock and I wonder where they got that one from.
Also there was a 2019 Sonata in Limited trim with all the bells and whistle and even a panoramic sunroof

I did spot a CHR at 5S and a Nissan Kicks in SR trim in PC

A note to mention, people working at this location are the nicest I've seen at any airport location since the pandemic.
They were all very happy and even asked if I was looking for anything specific.
I saw a 2020 outback limited at the return and asked for that one but was told that's the manager's car so I couldn't take it though.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 10:28 pm

I also picked up yesterday and was equally bemused that Gold/5*/PC were all completely identical! I picked up a GMC Arcadia which was the only vaguely above average car in PC when I was there.

I was surprised to see so many Mustangs and BMWs in the Premium Upgrade section though. Lots of 5 series and X3 models. When I drove out I noticed a lot more BMWs and Infinitis parked up against the back wall, so they clearly have some new looking premium stock that they are just not putting into Ultimate Choice.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 6:47 pm

Last month was pretty miserable, basically choose-your-colour Impala in PC. I snagged a lonely Subaru Forester on Colorado plates tucked away at the back. Not the most exciting car, but the first time I’ve seen one of these at Hertz and the tech was very impressive, including adaptive cruise and Sirius.

Today the selection was almost back to the good old days. Lots of Ford Fusions, Chrysler 300S, some minivans and then a nice BMW X1 and a Mustang GT. I grabbed the Mustang which had 14k on the clock but working Sirius, so I’m back to being a happy customer!
Old Dec 6, 2020, 11:36 pm

Last month was pretty miserable, basically choose-your-colour Impala in PC. I snagged a lonely Subaru Forester on Colorado plates tucked away at the back. Not the most exciting car, but the first time I’ve seen one of these at Hertz and the tech was very impressive, including adaptive cruise and Sirius.

Today the selection was almost back to the good old days. Lots of Ford Fusions, Chrysler 300S, some minivans and then a nice BMW X1 and a Mustang GT. I grabbed the Mustang which had 14k on the clock but working Sirius, so I’m back to being a happy customer!
2020 Subaru Outback with VA plates has appeared five times on the East Coast and it is really rare. And I never saw a 2020 Subaru of any models when Hertz bankrupt, I guess that they have sold.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:35 pm

Pretty good today, a few base Mustangs including one convertible. Several Chrysler 300S, an Infiniti QX60 and a BMW 230i XDrive convertible. I took the BMW and smiled all the way home!
Old Feb 15, 2021, 6:01 pm

Continuing the trend, plenty of muscle cars today. All four flavours of Mustang, a Challenger R/T and a base Challenger. I grabbed the only SUV which was the usual Infiniti QX60. Overall the lot was quiet, maybe 50% full but a decent enough selection all round.
missingcolours likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 10:48 pm

Yesterday the PC selection was very poor. One Mustang GT convertible and a 36,000 mile GMC Terrain. Definitely the worst I’ve seen even throughout the depths of COVID. The gate staff had to get a manual override to allow me to take the GMC because (I think) it was due to be returned to the lessor. At least it has working Sirius. I will definitely not rent on a Monday night again and will go back to my usual weekend slot.
Ordpc likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 5:05 pm

Noon on Sunday: Gold was practically empty, but the rest of the lot was well stocked. 5* and PC had basically the same selection of Impalas, Malibus, Altima’s, Rogues and Encores. PC selection seemed to be lower mileage with less body damage, but most of the nicer trimmed vehicles (leather seats, sunroof, etc) were in 5*. Luxury cars and sports cars were all parked in reserved spaces. Ended up grabbing a Ford Fusion SE with 28k miles, a sunroof and working XM from the Five Star aisle. No complaints - it’s clean and drives great!
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hertz PC, IHG Gold
Arrived around 11am today. Line at the counter was out the door, oh how I love being a gold member.

PC had 2 Chrysler 300Ss, 2 Mustang Ecoboost Convertibles, a Mustang Ecoboost Coupe, a Camaro LT Convertible, an Infiniti QX50 and a bunch of generic Hyundai/Kia sedans and crossovers. 5* had a few newer looking Escapes, a loaded Camry and more Hyundai/Kia sedans and crossovers. Gold was all Hyundai/Kia sedans and crossovers. Standouts in the reserved section were a new Bronco Sport and another Camaro LT Convertible. I ended up taking the nicer looking Mustang Convertible from PC.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:34 pm

Equinox is best car in PC? Surely, SAN has some better cars upstairs, or did they all get sold?.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.