Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SAN (Diego); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at SAN (Diego); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:14 am

I rented a wrangler from SAN earlier this month and received a 2019 4 door. Dont believe I have ever seen a 4x2 wrangler on the lot. I noticed a few ram 1500's that were also 4x4 but the chin spoiler is too low for me to be comfortable off pavement.
bimmerfreak0 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:36 pm
Suspended

I picked out a Buick Cascada convertible.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:01 pm

Today (Sunday) around noon. All aisles were at least 90% full. Great day to be Gold or 5* since Gold/5*/PC were all stocked with the exact same selection. Only thing I saw parked in PC that wasn't in Gold/5* were a few Jeep Cherokees. (As an aside, SAN must have just gotten a monster shipment of Buick Encores - there were at least 20 of them scattered around, visually all in top trim with less than 200 miles.)

Sedans were mainly Malibus, Optimas, Cruzes and Mazda 3's - amazingly not a single Altima or Camry.
SUV's were heavy on RAV4's, assorted Kia's, Acadias, and maybe one or two Explorers, an Outlander, and a Tuscon.
A lone Ram pickup was in 5*.
For premiums, I spotted 1 Impala in Gold and a Taurus in 5*.
Luxury consisted of a few 300's parked in both PC and 5* - Infinitis/Cadillacs/Mercedes/etc. along with Jeeps and convertibles were either Reserved or in Premium Upgrade.

Just for kicks I was about to drive off with a Veloster from the compact section when they pulled a brand new Volkswagen Tiguan into 5* so I grabbed that instead. Fully loaded with 400 miles on the odometer, working XM, and a panoramic sunroof. Not a bad ride for the week.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:11 am

Hertz President’s Circle 3rd of July in San Diego

What are the odds to getting a nice upgrade on 4th of July weekend also What’s the min rental class to get in order to get a nice upgrade ? TIA

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 15, 2019 at 5:40 pm Reason: moved into existing thread for this location
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:40 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by futbol90x
What’s the min rental class to get in order to get a nice upgrade?
The minimum rental class would be an Intermediate (C) car; it may or may not be cheaper than the other rate classes eligible for Ultimate Choice. If you plan on using Ultimate Choice to secure a free upgrade or access to a Premium Upgrade, then you should reserve the cheapest rate for a car that is not in the Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (A6) classes.

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:40 am

Got a '19 challenger from PC UC last weekend, there was one other one, but 18' as well as a bunch of the usuals
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:48 pm

Previous 3 visits to SAN Hertz they've always had crap for cars. Today around noon was better than usual - Mustang Convertible (V6), 2x Q50s, and a bunch of 300s, small SUVs, and a few minivans. Much better than what National had out FWIW.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Tuesday 7/23 evening.
Five Star: pickup trucks, Jeep Cherokee, Subaru (not sure Forester or Outback), Rav4, Chrysler 300, Hyundai Kona, standard sedans like Camry
PC: Dodge Charger, pickup trucks, Camaro, Toyota 4Runner, standard sedans like Corolla.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:09 pm

Wednesday 8/21 around 3:45pm
Slim pickings when I showed up:
Five Star: Ford pickup, standard sedans and compact SUVs
PC: 3x Fusion Hybrid Titanium, 2x Taurus, 3x GMC Arcadia, Altima, Rav4

Took my time deciding between the Fusion and Rav4, then the PC lot literally became flooded with nicer selections one after another
By 4:15pm
PC: 2x GLC 300, QX 60, Q50, Jaguar XF, Jaguar F-Pace, MB SLC, Dodge Challenger

Ended up loading/unloading my luggage 3 times from a RAV4 --> GLC 300 --> F-Pace (have been wanting to try it for a long time), felt like I won the jackpot LOL

Chatted with the porter who pretty much said they were getting slim on cars so putting nicer cars in PC. Great way to start a mini vacation for me!
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:15 pm

Got a Mercedes A220 in PC area last Thursday.

The car has a USB-C adaptor which was a surprise to me.

-David
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:21 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Absolutely garbage selection in the PC area today mid Covid19. Ive seen some great cars in a few airports but shame on San Diego. Went upstairs to National and rolled out in a brand new BMW 330i for my trip to SMF. Missed my flight. Didn’t want to stay the night.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: CO *G, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ryan754
Absolutely garbage selection in the PC area today mid Covid19. Ive seen some great cars in a few airports but shame on San Diego. Went upstairs to National and rolled out in a brand new BMW 330i for my trip to SMF. Missed my flight. Didn’t want to stay the night.
You're not the only one. I had a Luxury reservation the board said go to PC, after a walk around, went to office said check PC again. Everything there was below a luxury reservation. ...? After going back to the office three times and pushing on being offered a Chrysler 300 they finally relented on a BMW 430GC. There shouldn't be this issue with overflowing lots. After that fiasco, I've been having much better luck on pricing at Sixt in SAN with no status.
Old May 11, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Hopefully an improvement from previous reports, but today I noticed a few more interesting cars in the PC aisle. Several As/CLAs, one GLC, one 4-Series GC and a lone Mustang GT convertible hidden amongst the base Mustangs, all in the PC aisles with keys. I grabbed a 5-Series myself, which seems to be reasonably loaded, albeit in 530i spec...

IIRC, National has removed Aisle service and you have to go pick up from Enterprise now, so not sure how their Aisle availability is looking at the moment (guess I'll find out in a few weeks when trying to burn 1-2 Free coupons before June). And Sixt, while still the most competitive in terms of rates by far currently, seems to either be running out of premium cars, playing downgrade/upcharge games, or is just being incompetent (all of which I've experienced with them in the past anyway ). I had an XCAR reservation a few weeks ago (E-Class, 5-Series, S90) and they assigned me a Dodge Charger. Eventually I ended up with a CLA, so only a two-class downgrade, hah. Making it the third time in the last two months that they've downgraded me with no rate change and tried to upsell me to a Platinum upgrade I should already be eligible for...

Anyway at this stage, I might end up sticking with Hertz or just become reckless and try Avis...

JordanWalker likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:26 pm

The PC aisle was the emptiest I’ve ever seen it today. Fewer than ten available cars, mostly low spec crossovers, an Altima and an Impala. There were also two Mercedes A220s. We almost took a Mitsubishi Outlander, but the trim was so basic we went for the Mercedes (which had a much nicer spec and so far has Sirius).

The Premium Upgrade selection was full of cars normally in the PC aisle (300S, Cadillacs, mid range BMWs) so it looks like an unsurprising attempt to monetise rather than low inventory.
anteater likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:27 am

SAN seems to be slowly getting back to normal, far fewer cars packed together in aisles and a lot more customers moving around the garage yesterday. The PC aisle was poor but not terrible, pick your color Impala, a few Chevrolet Colorado pick-ups and a few Kia SUVs. I almost took a Jeep Cherokee but it was filthy, so ended up taking a brand new GMC Acadia.

The garage was well stocked with decent cars, but all the vehicles you would normally find in PC were in the Premium Upgrade section or the Reserved section (Cadillac, Mercedes, Challenger, Mustang).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.