Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at PHX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at PHX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Fitch
I am renting at PHX on Dec 29th. President's Circle member with a reservation for a group Q4 (IFAR Mid-sized SUV).

First time usinh Ultimate Choice and the wording seems to suggest it's all about paid upgrades ?

I don't want to pay extra, so how would I ensure I was choosing a car from Q4 or equivalent/lower ?

Thanks !
If you've reserved a Q4, then you will be allocated a specific car.

As Presidents Circle, you can instead go and choose anything that is in Ultimate Choice as an alternative. Note that if you want one of the upgrades, you will have to go and persuade them that you paid for a Q4, otherwise they will charge you the same upgrade fee as applies everyone who has booked a C. You may not win this conversation.

Basically, if you want to use Ultimate Choice, the advice is book a Group C.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Priority Pass
Picked up a car on December 22 for a Christmas drive to San Diego.
PC, 5 Star and Gold all had a bunch of new 2018 Camrys, Malibus, Souls, Optimas, Sonatas and Altimas.
PC also had the new 2018 Equinox, Toyota Avalon, Cadilllac XTS and Chevy Camaro.
5 Star had a Buick Encore, Chevy Camaro, VW Tiguan Limited and an old style Compass.

Chose the Encore first (leather + sunroof + CarPlay = done). Instantly hated it on the freeway (the seat was too small, and I'm not a big guy). Almost took the Camaro until I remembered all the gifts I was bringing with me wouldn't fit. Ended up taking a Camry with 4 miles on it. The new 2018 is a big improvement over the last one; I felt sorry for the other couple that passed over it for a beat up Altima.

When I returned the Camry, PC and 5 Star had a bunch of Infiniti Q50's (Gold even had an Infiniti Q70) with no upgrade charge. Where was that when I needed it at the beginning?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
So if i'm understanding correctly. As a Pres Cir member, I should book Group C Intermediate Car and be able to select from the Pres Cir group when I arrive? I will be using my Amex Plat to book and use the Amex booking code for discount. Does it sound like I'm doing it correctly? Ultimately, I have 5 people sitting in the car and ideally would like a Fullsize or SUV. Trying to see if booking my bet in Group C would get me a car I want.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:30 pm

At PHX this weekend lucked into a Jaguar XE 25t, classed as P4. Sure beats the Infiniti crap that you usually get at that level. Incidentally, I reserved G on an award booking, was offered an Adrenaline Dodge Challenger RT, but saw the Jag in the premium upgrade area and took it. They did not charge me extra for the switch.

Last edited by ehchan; Feb 27, 2018 at 4:38 pm
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by twkidM3
So if i'm understanding correctly. As a Pres Cir member, I should book Group C Intermediate Car and be able to select from the Pres Cir group when I arrive? I will be using my Amex Plat to book and use the Amex booking code for discount. Does it sound like I'm doing it correctly? Ultimately, I have 5 people sitting in the car and ideally would like a Fullsize or SUV. Trying to see if booking my bet in Group C would get me a car I want.
That's correct. Also, you should have no issue getting a fullsize from Pres Cir.

Anyone see a Stelvio in PHX at all? I know some locations have one, and I'm dying to try one out.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 6, 2018 at 4:05 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:46 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Pretty decent selection in the PC area yesterday around 9 am. The majority of cars were Infiniti Q50 3.0t sedans; there were also a few Q60 coupes and a single Q70 3.6. I also saw two Chrysler 300s and a pair of Dodge Challengers. Other random cars included a Nissan Pathfinder, a few Maximas, and a Toyota Avalon. At the end of the row, I found a 2018 Cadillac XTS Premium with 7,500 miles on the odometer. The air-conditioned seats made it particularly attractive.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:45 pm

Arrived at PHX late evening (10:30pm) on a Tuesday. PC area was almost empty besides 5-6 regular SUVs. The best one was a Ford Explorer, and the rest are all small-medium size like Chevy Equinox, Nissan, etc..
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Picked up here last Saturday at 9:30 AM

Some good stuff in the PC aisle. Two Infiniti Q30s, several 300s, two Cadillac ATSs, a Camaro and a Challenger were the cars I considered. I ended up taking the Challenger. There were also some usual rental car standbys like the Camry etc. that I ignored.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: American ExPlat SPG Plat
PHX
PC
March 2018
Booked: Camaro SS convertible - Adrenaline collection, listed under "Reserve this Exact Model"
Received: Corvette Stingray convertible w/ 2500 miles

I was visiting Phoenix from Chicago for 4 days in March, so I reserved a Camaro convertible. Might as well enjoy the sunshine. The Hertz desk was friendly but did not have the Camaro convertible I reserved, despite my reservation saying "Reserve this Exact Model". I saw the Corvette convertible and asked for it as a replacement, only to be politely told no. Guy at the counter offered a Mustang 5.0 coupe as a replacement. I declined citing the fact that I reserved a convertible that stated "Reserve this Exact Model" and a coupe wouldn't cut it.

5 minutes later the guy from the desk had a big grin on his face and gave me the keys to the Corvette convertible instead. It turns out he wanted to give it to me, just had to clear w/ manager. Worked out great! I put nearly 1000 miles on it in 4 days.

Alclayno likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:23 pm

Arrived about noon on a Thursday. Gold (Edit: Meant 5*) was well stocked, with a selection of Altimas, Sonatas, Optimas, Cruzes, Malibus and Souls. Also a Chrysler 300, an Avalon, a Maxima, and one or two Rogues. A few of the mix had leather. I snagged a Fusion Hybrid with activated satellite radio.

Last edited by Presguy; Sep 20, 2018 at 9:45 am
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by Presguy
Arrived about noon on a Thursday. Gold was well stocked, with a selection of Altimas, Sonatas, Optimas, Cruzes, Malibus and Souls. Also a Chrysler 300, an Avalon, a Maxima, and one or two Rogues. A few of the mix had leather. I snagged a Fusion Hybrid with activated satellite radio.
Did you happen to see what was available in PC? I'll be picking up around the same time this Thursday. Thx
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:56 am

Sorry about delay. PC had a couple of Infiniti sedans (Q60, IIRC), a few Infiniti coupes, at least one QX, a few Camaros, and several 300s. I didn't take a super close look, but I do remember those. I don't recall seeing much in the way of SUVs or crossovers.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by Presguy
Sorry about delay. PC had a couple of Infiniti sedans (Q60, IIRC), a few Infiniti coupes, at least one QX, a few Camaros, and several 300s. I didn't take a super close look, but I do remember those. I don't recall seeing much in the way of SUVs or crossovers.
Thanks. That was my experience as well, picking up on 9/20. Chose the Infinity coupe, in hindsight, should have taken the Infiniti sedan.
Presguy likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:14 pm

What are the most high end/exciting cars that have been seen at this location? Best I see online is a Mercedes Benz C63 AMG, but it only comes with 150 miles.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:32 pm

Took a quick peek last night around 11, PC was mostly SUVs and trucks but at least one Infiniti (looked like a Q30). Few Ram 1500 Hemis, many midsize SUVs (Acadia, Terrain), 1 Yukon XL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.