Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at PHX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at PHX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Feb 7, 2023, 6:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I arrived last Saturday at 1 PM and found one of the worst selections I've seen in a PC area in months.

Yes, that's a Chevy Trax in PC. Half the cars had their wipers up indicating no keys or other issues

Once I filtered out the broken cars, the Challengers and the pick up I ended up in a 2020 Chevy Equinox base level with 47,000 miles. What a joke.
oftech likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by CMK10
I arrived last Saturday at 1 PM and found one of the worst selections I've seen in a PC area in months.

...Once I filtered out the broken cars, the Challengers and the pick up I ended up in a 2020 Chevy Equinox base level with 47,000 miles. What a joke.
Yeah, that's terrible. As much as I enjoy the PC status, I would have either walked over to National or gone to the desk and ask if they have anything else. Not even 2 months ago, I saw a Genesis G70 in PC.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 30, 2024 at 5:59 am Reason: removed images from quote
Old Feb 15, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Glob, UA Silver
Post-Event selection

PC seemed fully restocked, today had multiple suburbans, Explorers, with a Mercedes sedan and Cadillac crossover mixed in.
I didn’t take the best survey but seemed to be good options post Super Bowl and Phoenix Open; wouldn't surprise me to be gradually returning to "normal" by next week

Feb 15 Hertz PC Selection
KenTarmac likes this.

Last edited by TrojanDomer; Feb 15, 2023 at 1:19 pm
Old Feb 17, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Not much to choose from when I showed up on Wednesday, there was a Chrysler 300S with a seriously bent wiper arm that I decided against. I wound up taking a basic Ford Edge. There were some Dodge Challengers but they were the base editions, nothing special.

It's a FT DO! I'm also in PHX today. Heading home to CLT tomorrow.
TrojanDomer likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:13 am

Programs: United: Non-revver, IHG: Plat elite, Hertz: PC, Avis: PC, Enterprise: Platinum
Arrived around 8:30PM saturday night, June 17th

PC was full of polestars, a model 3, few camaro, challengers, chargers and mustangs (all V6 or ecoboost variants), along with a few 3 row SUV's (explorer/traverse) and a fair amount of equinoxes and terrains. Also had misc. smaller SUV's and sedans.. Overall a full section

5* Had a variety of smaller sedans, a few polestars, and mid-sized SUV's

Didn't check gold.

Ended up taking an equinox premier with 66K miles... Which I didn't realize had 66K miles until I started driving. I should of taken the challenger GT that looked brand new instead.
Dsnow0819 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 1:49 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
get to PHX 4 or 5 times a year. Arrived July 25th at 10:30pm. PC section only had 8 Teslas, 1 beat up car that was in worst shape I've ever seen a PC car in my life, and 2 huge white cargo vans. I hate electric. So was SOL. They told me to wait for another car to show up.Have never had this happen with Hertz or Avis in my life.

Waited for 30min and not one car was brought around. Finally a manager walked over and asked what I was waiting for. Explained I just want a normal, decent car. She told me to go to premium zone and grab a Mercedes GLC300 and take it; no uncharge. So tired, I did not look car over carefully, so will see in morning; did see a few tiny rock paint chips here and there. Car had 40,080 miles on it. Seems pretty long in the tooth to me for a premium but whatever. $118 for 2 day rental with my corporate account. No change to charge from the midsize/intermediate I had reserved. All in all one of my more stressful Hertz PC experiences.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by MikieLikesMiles
PC section only had 8 Teslas
Any particular reason you hate electric? I'm going to be traveling to PHX every week for the next couple of months. I wouldn't mind trying the Tesla a time or two, but I'm wondering how they perform in the heat. Does the AC cripple the range?
Old Aug 4, 2023, 2:19 pm

Programs: United: Non-revver, IHG: Plat elite, Hertz: PC, Avis: PC, Enterprise: Platinum
Originally Posted by plam1365
Any particular reason you hate electric? I'm going to be traveling to PHX every week for the next couple of months. I wouldn't mind trying the Tesla a time or two, but I'm wondering how they perform in the heat. Does the AC cripple the range?
Not OP but I rented a model 3 for 2.5 weeks from avis while my truck was in the shop. The whole EV concept was super cool since I had free charging at my office, but for the life of me I couldn't get comfortable in the car... I'm 6'2 and around 200 pounds for reference. By day 4 I was so done with it and was ready to get my truck back. The self-steering and radar cruise was super touchy too... on a 2 hour drive from Houston to Austin, the car brake checked me 5 times for no reason

The AC definitely takes some range off (I rented in texas), but not enough for it to drop your jaw or anything
aztimm likes this.

Last edited by mhd1998; Aug 4, 2023 at 2:20 pm Reason: Adding additional points
Old Aug 21, 2023, 10:58 am

Came through August 9th at roughly 9 am. PC was reasonably full and they were actively bring new vehicles in. Several Teslas and Polestars and a ton of Malibus. A few Chargers were in the mix but most were older and averaged about 30K miles and then a few small suvs (CRV, XT5). Ended up taking a '23 Grand Cherokee L that only had ~1300 miles so was pretty happy with it.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 7:58 pm

Anything to be mindful for a PC with pickup on 12/23? (Rented class is F; not that it matters for "normal" PC operations.) Will be in a group of three for about a week; not sure how often the PC section is "out" of options large enough for three larger suitcases.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Tigerotor77W
Anything to be mindful for a PC with pickup on 12/23? (Rented class is F; not that it matters for "normal" PC operations.) Will be in a group of three for about a week; not sure how often the PC section is "out" of options large enough for three larger suitcases.
Was there last weekend and there were plenty of sedans and a bunch of SUVs. Although it must have been a slow weekend since the rates were pretty low.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
Hello there,

Does anyone have experience renting pickups (small or large) from PHX? I have a three-week reservation for a T/FFAR large SUV in August, but thinking of switching to a pickup. I did the same trip last year and rented a pickup from Sixt/PHX. I got a Tundra and it was OK, but it was a very basic moving/work trim, 2WD, not in great condition. Would prefer something nicer and preferably 4x4. I looked at the Hertz sales site for clues and that wasn't much help. So few for sale. Any experience? Thx.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 1, 2024 at 4:24 am Reason: best asked in the dedicated thread for this location so moved accordingly
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:07 pm
ayg

Programs: SWA A List, HH Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ti Duffield
Hello there,

Does anyone have experience renting pickups (small or large) from PHX? I have a three-week reservation for a T/FFAR large SUV in August, but thinking of switching to a pickup. I did the same trip last year and rented a pickup from Sixt/PHX. I got a Tundra and it was OK, but it was a very basic moving/work trim, 2WD, not in great condition. Would prefer something nicer and preferably 4x4. I looked at the Hertz sales site for clues and that wasn't much help. So few for sale. Any experience? Thx.
Only trucks I've ever seen in the PC lanes at PHX were Nissan Frontiers. We rent there at least 5-7x a year for the past few years. Most recently back in Feb 2024.
Ti Duffield likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Ti Duffield
Hello there,

I saw a Tacoma 4x4 in PC on 04/18 along with another pickup (I think a Colorado?). Otherwise in PC there were no convertibles, lots of American muscle cars. Ended up in a Volvo s60 and which is surprisingly nice.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 11:16 am

Just want share my experience at PHX on 4/20. Booked large luxury sedans and been pointing to PC selection, has a bunch of brand new S60 B5, one A4, a newish Challenger GT, base Camaro and a bunch of other typical SUV/cars. Eventually took the only AWD S60 with only 1000 miles. The driving assist of S60 is pretty good and made my road trip a lot easier. Power is adequate but transmission is not really responsive. Overall not a bad experience.

jmw and xienon like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.