Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at PHX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at PHX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Mar 12, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by zoneflyer
Any recent DPs on PC selections? I would be travelling to PHX in end of May, have both Hertz and National reservations.
I have done same (booked both National/Hertz) for 2 trips to PHX in the past month, and in both cases I have gone with Hertz when I saw selection. I was looking for a convertible fwiw, and both trips got a Mustang convertible. I will have another datapoint next week.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 2:04 pm

Any recent DPs on PC selections? I would be travelling to PHX in end of May, have both Hertz and National reservations.
At the Phoenix airport march tenth, heres the PC selection.
x2 mustang convertible ecoboost
x2 mustang ecoboost
x2 camaro convertible v6
x1 camaro v6
x1 camaro v4
x1 gmc terrain
x1 ford explorer
x1 kia optima
x1 chevy impala
x1 chrysler 300s awd
x1 nissan rogue
x1 mazda cx5

Lots of muscle cars if thats what you were looking for but I wasn't.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 11:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MarkCron
I have done same (booked both National/Hertz) for 2 trips to PHX in the past month, and in both cases I have gone with Hertz when I saw selection. I was looking for a convertible fwiw, and both trips got a Mustang convertible. I will have another datapoint next week.
Looking forward for your DP. I will be heading to Sedona, convertible is nice but probably end up picking an AWD SUV for unpaved roads.

Originally Posted by Bugatti Veyron
At the Phoenix airport march tenth, heres the PC selection.
x2 mustang convertible ecoboost
x2 mustang ecoboost
x2 camaro convertible v6
x1 camaro v6
x1 camaro v4
x1 gmc terrain
x1 ford explorer
x1 kia optima
x1 chevy impala
x1 chrysler 300s awd
x1 nissan rogue
x1 mazda cx5

Lots of muscle cars if thats what you were looking for but I wasn't.
Seems decent, that ford explorer looks tempting.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 6:11 am

Looking forward for your DP. I will be heading to Sedona, convertible is nice but probably end up picking an AWD SUV for unpaved roads.
I have seen Jeep Wranglers at National in PHX, fwiw. My pickup is very late Wednesday night, so I am slightly concerned at what I'll find.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 5:00 pm

Not much help unfortunately
Arrived at 11pm to an empty PC section.
0 cars. only a few cars in reserved and luxury sections.
there was a Mustang convertible in the Luxury section, so I grabbed that.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Not much help unfortunately
Arrived at 11pm to an empty PC section.
0 cars. only a few cars in reserved and luxury sections.
there was a Mustang convertible in the Luxury section, so I grabbed that.
All good, thanks for checking in.
Hopefully better selections for me arriving at 10am.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 11:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Doesn't Hertz prohibit taking a rental on unpaved roads? Many of the newer rentals have GPS devices.

If you want to go off-road, do a Pink Jeep (or similar) tour. Those guys know what they are doing
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Also headed to Sedona in May, and wondering what the 5* lot has been looking like lately. We have zero desire for a sports car- would prefer a bigger sedan (as long as it's not a Nissan or a Kia) or the Mazda CX-5 (or equivalent) and I'm wondering if I should roll the dice with Hertz or give a different company a try.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
Doesn't Hertz prohibit taking a rental on unpaved roads? Many of the newer rentals have GPS devices.

If you want to go off-road, do a Pink Jeep (or similar) tour. Those guys know what they are doing
Definitely not hard core off road, just looking to access some popular trailheads that seems unpaved. I'm not sure if that is strictly not allowed from rental.
I'm also looking into Pink Jeep tour, read great reviews about those.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
I saw this when I arrived in Phoenix on 4/9. Had to take a picture of it. Even the birds hate Chevy! The agent saw me taking pictures of it and thought I was interested in renting it, I just laughed at him. 😆 I said no, I'm a Ford guy, I'm taking pictures for other reasons. He looked at the car and slinked off to to the office to have some one come pick the car up and clean it.

I walked over to the PC aisle and found a Mustang GT. First one I’ve had a chance to drive.

Old May 28, 2021, 11:58 pm

DP: 5/28 10am

Full 4 rows on PC selection, much more cars than National.

15+ Chevy Traverse pick your color and trims
5+ Chrysler 300
5+ Dodge Charger
4 Nissan Armada last gen
1 Toyota Sequoia SR5
1 Infiniti Q50
1 Infiniti QX60
2 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
A few other generics

Picked up the 2021 CX9 Grand Touring with 7k miles, equipped with ACC and ventilated seats.
Old May 29, 2021, 12:05 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
5/17 the mid-sized luxury car i booked was unavailable so I was told to go pick something out of the PC area. First attempt got me a Mazda CX-9 but itt got returned within 24 hours because the 'check oil' light came on and it was low when we did check the dipstick. (Mileage suggests it was recently in for an oil change and I guess they didn't top it off correctly) Spousal Unit went over to select a replacement from the PC zone on 5/18 and after his first pick. a BMW 5 series had a bent windshield wiper issue, he came back with a BMW X5 that turned out to be perfectly fun for the trip, even if black leather isn't ideal for Arizona in the summer.

They also seemed to have the obligatory entry level sports and muscle cars there.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 9:04 am
ck8

Programs: Delta SkyMiles GM/United Mileage Plus/Hilton Honors
Got a 2018 Nissan Versa with 30k miles this week. Booked an economy as a basic Gold member and was directed to the PC section which was empty. Just went to the Gold section and picked this as I just wanted good gas mileage for the drive to TUS.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AB Platinum :( , AS 50K, Hilton Diamon, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
Picked up from PHX on July 8. PC lot was pretty good

Of note:
4 Mustang GT Convertibles
3 Mustang GT Fastbacks
2 Charger RT
1 Chrysler 300C
1 BMW Z4
1 BMW X5

I tried to snag a brand new GT which had just been delivered (3 miles on the clock!) but although it was in PC, there was no key and the Gold booth didn't know where it was. Settled for a 2020 GT and very happy with it
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 2:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
AUG 25 afternoon. Five Star was bare. PC had SUVs (3 Explorers) and some nondescript sedans. Took a Explorer Limited with 10K miles.
blairvanhorn and Ordpc like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.