Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at PHX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at PHX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:49 pm

Sunday 7:45pm
Less cars but pretty similar
2 Tahoes
2 Ram 1500 Classic Hemis
Challenger R/T
Many 300s
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:32 pm

I was at this PHX location two times in 2018.

October 13th Saturday around 3 pm, the president circle and 5 star section was pretty empty. PC had an explorer, avalons, optimas a 2 door pickup. As I was walking to the end of PC, an employee had just dropped off a camaro v4 convertible. I ended up taking the camaro.

December 3 Monday around 12 pm, the president circle lot wasfull but comprised of mostly SUVs. Rogue, lots of Yukons and Tahoes, infiniti QX60, ram 1500, chrysler 300, buick enclave. One other person was looking through the cars and he immediately grabbed the 300s. I ended up going with QX60 base model. The ride was smooth and comfortable but definitely felt like a glorified pathfinder with no tech no blind spot, low res back up cam etc. I wouldn’t take it again until nissan updates this thing.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:41 am

Anyone know which rental company at PHX has the better SUV range? Or since this is the Hertz sub, what is their range usually like? I'm particularly interested in Jeep, GMC and Buick. And what day is the best to rent in regards to the amount of cars likely to be available? I have some flexibility for when to get the car (Thursday-Monday).

just a regular schmo. No 5* or PC.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
PHX arrival at midnight. Line is long, but I pass that and head to the President Circle area. Turns out there was only one car with no key. They said they had no cars ready and I had to wait. I did get a car before most of the scrum of people that were waiting, but it was real cluster.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Hi all, will be renting at PHX this weekend to drive to Tucson/Pima Air and Space Museum and back.

I have reserved V4 (American Muscle Car) and have 5* status - has anyone seen the selection recently of cars in that class, and what is normally available in the UC(?) area? I normally rent with Enterprise but Hertz's rate for the V8 American pony car was better than Enterprise/others that I've found.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by roastpuff
Hi all, will be renting at PHX this weekend to drive to Tucson/Pima Air and Space Museum and back.

I have reserved V4 (American Muscle Car) and have 5* status - has anyone seen the selection recently of cars in that class, and what is normally available in the UC(?) area? I normally rent with Enterprise but Hertz's rate for the V8 American pony car was better than Enterprise/others that I've found.
There was a Mustang and a Challenger in PC on Monday 2/18 3PM
I didn't see UC
roastpuff likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:37 pm

They had a 2019 Challenger RT with ~4500 miles for me when I arrived. Didn't have any other options for me though I did see a Mustang in the reserved section and some non-SS Camaros in the PC area. There was a Corvette in the dream car section but no thanks at $250 a day. Challenger isn't the comfiest for me for some reason... Can't find a good position in the seats. Might swing back and see if they have any other potential options for me.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by roastpuff
They had a 2019 Challenger RT with ~4500 miles for me when I arrived. Didn't have any other options for me though I did see a Mustang in the reserved section and some non-SS Camaros in the PC area. There was a Corvette in the dream car section but no thanks at $250 a day. Challenger isn't the comfiest for me for some reason... Can't find a good position in the seats. Might swing back and see if they have any other potential options for me.
Keep us posted, it's curious that Hertz calls this class "Mustang GT/Camaro SS" (Challenger not in the name) yet seems 90% of the stock are Challenger RT.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:46 pm

I ended up keeping the Challenger due to schedule, and I managed to find a comfortable seating position eventually. On the return, I saw a black Mustang GT in the "storage"? area and a couple of Camaros in the return lane, I think one was a SS model. There were 3-4 Challengers roaming around and they looked like the R/T model with the hood scoop. Did not take a look at the pick up area.
Joonydell and Alclayno like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Picked up Wednesday at 10pm.

The PC and 5* areas were about 30-40% full. There were at least 12 300's in the PC area and numerous F sedans (yawn), a Mitsubishi Outlander and a few pickup trucks. I wanted a SUV with AWD so I waited for a few minutes and was lucky to grab a fairly new (2K miles) QX60 AWD with working Sirius as the driver delivered it to the PC area.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:26 am

Any opinions on what car to rent if driving out in Sedona for a photo shoot? Would ideally like something that can go off road? Is the Jeep 4x4 my only option?
Old May 6, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
A jeep is a good option if they have one; I personally find the highway ride in a Jeep to often be less desirable. There were no jeeps when I picked up recently -- nothing that I'd have considered an off-road vehicle. Even though I had a AWD Infiniti QX90, I would not have wanted to take it on the jeep "trails" around Sedona due entirely to lack of ground clearance. I did see somebody in a rental Toyota 4-Runner which is an occasional visitor to the PC aisle so would also keep an eye open for that. Ultimately what you need most is clearance.
Old May 8, 2019, 4:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Just an FYI, I had reserved an SUV (L) from PHX for a 5-day rental a few weeks ago. Had a Ford Explorer (L4) in my spot and it worked out very well. Other than that the rear wiper was missing (not just the blade, the whole wiper).

I didn't take it off-road for long, but did take it out to Saguaro and Roosevelt lakes. Plus had to park on a grassy field for a swim meet. But the vehicle handled OK (I drive an X5 as my normal car, so not much will compare to that).

I did clean the windshield a few times. Once you leave the metro area, the whiteflies are horrible! At one point I could hardly see out.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:41 pm

Hi guys, I made a reservation for Jeep Wrangler at PHX, but not sure if it's 2 or 4 door. All other rental company like enterprise, budget only have 2 door option. Anyone recently been there saw any 4 door Wrangler? I'm also considering ram 1500 4X4 as an option. But not sure if they are 4X4 model at the location. I rented ram 1500 several times at CA, they are all 4x4. It normally has 4X4 at tailgate. Thanks a lot! Appreciate for sharing information!
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:23 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Yueqi
Hi guys, I made a reservation for Jeep Wrangler at PHX, but not sure if it's 2 or 4 door. All other rental company like enterprise, budget only have 2 door option. Anyone recently been there saw any 4 door Wrangler? I'm also considering ram 1500 4X4 as an option. But not sure if they are 4X4 model at the location. I rented ram 1500 several times at CA, they are all 4x4. It normally has 4X4 at tailgate. Thanks a lot! Appreciate for sharing information!
I've never seen a two door Wrangler at any Hertz location. I got a 4 door wrangler at Hertz ELP last year in fact, a loaded Sahara model. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.