Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SFO; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at SFO; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:36 am

You forgot the impact of the Hertz points devaluation. I bet, even after accounting for a holiday lull, competitors were charging more for the same category. Disgruntled customers were fleeing Hertz and increasing competitors' demand.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
You forgot the impact of the Hertz points devaluation. I bet, even after accounting for a holiday lull, competitors were charging more for the same category. Disgruntled customers were fleeing Hertz and increasing competitors' demand.
Do you have any actual evidence for this? Right now, I'm certainly not seeing Hertz experiencing any meaningful price impact.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:05 pm

Yes. Right after the devaluation, I did. It may have since leveled off somewhat.

My roadtrip vacation this year was in the Charlotte area. I broke up my trip into several one-ways. I had a regular free day with National that would otherwise expire this year, enough points for 3 free one-way days with Hertz, and a still-evolving itinerary not sure of which airport I'd ultimately fly out of. As it turned out, I could theoretically have done a simple CLT roundtrip with Hotwire, with an opaque rate maybe $50 more, and much less visiting small airports (CAE, AGS, GSP) often somewhat out of the way. But then I wouldn't have had time to use my free days, finish off my loyalty to Hertz, choose my own car once, and observe some intriguing pricing anomalies.

I checked every possible permutation, with each location along my route, from simple roundtrips, to clockwise one-ways (what I wound up doing), to counterclockwise one-ways (would have had to pay for more expensive private tours, since almost everything in the area is Wed/Fri/Sat and closed Sun/Mon).

In all cases, I observed Hertz prices starting off the usual premium above everyone else's, but this time, quickly sinking below Alamo. Even when the others were sold out, Hertz, and its unusually low prices, remained available. The small airport garages I visited seemed to have more Hertz cars untouched relative to competitors. As temperatures in the Piedmont South were rising, demand in general was falling. But even accounting for seasonality, the difference was hard to ignore.

I also contemplated an unusually cheap Hertz one-way home, from LGA to the northwest suburbs. A family member was able to pick me up, so I didn't. But I almost never see such a low rate, especially in the peak summer season. Once or twice in the winter, maybe, and even then usually not with Hertz.

Last edited by Auto Enthusiast; Jul 15, 2019 at 2:11 pm
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Yes. Right after the devaluation, I did. It may have since leveled off somewhat.

My roadtrip vacation this year was in the Charlotte area. I broke up my trip into several one-ways. I had a regular free day with National that would otherwise expire this year, enough points for 3 free one-way days with Hertz, and a still-evolving itinerary not sure of which airport I'd ultimately fly out of. As it turned out, I could theoretically have done a simple CLT roundtrip with Hotwire, with an opaque rate maybe $50 more, and much less visiting small airports (CAE, AGS, GSP) often somewhat out of the way. But then I wouldn't have had time to use my free days, finish off my loyalty to Hertz, choose my own car once, and observe some intriguing pricing anomalies.

I checked every possible permutation, with each location along my route, from simple roundtrips, to clockwise one-ways (what I wound up doing), to counterclockwise one-ways (would have had to pay for more expensive private tours, since almost everything in the area is Wed/Fri/Sat and closed Sun/Mon).

In all cases, I observed Hertz prices starting off the usual premium above everyone else's, but this time, quickly sinking below Alamo. Even when the others were sold out, Hertz, and its unusually low prices, remained available. The small airport garages I visited seemed to have more Hertz cars untouched relative to competitors. As temperatures in the Piedmont South were rising, demand in general was falling. But even accounting for seasonality, the difference was hard to ignore.

I also contemplated an unusually cheap Hertz one-way home, from LGA to the northwest suburbs. A family member was able to pick me up, so I didn't. But I almost never see such a low rate, especially in the peak summer season. Once or twice in the winter, maybe, and even then usually not with Hertz.
Interesting. As a contrast, a Hertz rental from LGA that I paid $178 for last year is pricing out around $600 for almost the exact same dates this summer, and is well above Avis and National.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:04 am

I reserved a Fullsize SUV Categorie FFAR at SFO for 31 AUgustus.
How big is the change I get the GMC Yukon ? Or should I count on 1 of the similars ?

If you reserve a Fullsize SUV do they always have on reserved or is their a change they will try to give me another level?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Stijn Loomans
I reserved a Fullsize SUV Categorie FFAR at SFO for 31 AUgustus.
How big is the change I get the GMC Yukon ? Or should I count on 1 of the similars ?

If you reserve a Fullsize SUV do they always have on reserved or is their a change they will try to give me another level?
The fleet is mostly Chevy Tahoes but there's very little difference: the Yukon is maybe *slightly* plusher but it's the same car.

You should get at least what you booked - I'd be surprised to see a downgrade as FFAR is a ffarly common category. You might also get a Nissan Armada, Infiniti, etc. I haven't seen many Fords in this category lately.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
The fleet is mostly Chevy Tahoes but there's very little difference: the Yukon is maybe *slightly* plusher but it's the same car.

You should get at least what you booked - I'd be surprised to see a downgrade as FFAR is a ffarly common category. You might also get a Nissan Armada, Infiniti, etc. I haven't seen many Fords in this category lately.
Do you know what trim levels are typical for the Yukons and Tahoes?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:25 pm

I've only ever seen LT (Chevy) and SLT (GMC) trims with Captain's chairs for the big GM SUVs at Hertz.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
PC aisle last night was a sea of Dodge Challengers. I’ve truly never seen so many - at least 7 in the aisle. I ended up grabbing one, but regret it. I wish they had the Infinitis
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:34 pm

Going labor day weekend what should I see at pc aisle? Also since I’m pc can I skip the counter ?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: NW GE
Had V4 (american muscle) and C reservations. Carfirmation on landing was a black dodge challenger. Walked in to find a sea of maroon, black, white and grey base model dodge challengers in PC. Asked at gold booth if they had a Camaro SS or Mustang GT hardtop instead of a challenger for the V4 res, given a stall and a new carfirmation for a Mustang but no car in that spot (way in back corner). Went back and was told to go choose any challenger from PC section, which I did, but made sure they used my C res when leaving. Between airtrain and walking the huge lot several times, took almost an hour from landing to driving away.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Lyaec350
Had V4 (american muscle) and C reservations. Carfirmation on landing was a black dodge challenger. Walked in to find a sea of maroon, black, white and grey base model dodge challengers in PC. Asked at gold booth if they had a Camaro SS or Mustang GT hardtop instead of a challenger for the V4 res, given a stall and a new carfirmation for a Mustang but no car in that spot (way in back corner). Went back and was told to go choose any challenger from PC section, which I did, but made sure they used my C res when leaving. Between airtrain and walking the huge lot several times, took almost an hour from landing to driving away.
Aw, disappointing to hear it's still just basically Dodge Challengers in the "Mustang GT/Camaro SS" class. Was your original carfirmation a v8 Challenger (R/T)?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: NW GE
Originally Posted by glostix
Aw, disappointing to hear it's still just basically Dodge Challengers in the "Mustang GT/Camaro SS" class. Was your original carfirmation a v8 Challenger (R/T)?
Yep, original carfirmation for a no option RT challenger with higher miles (8k) than several in the PC section (2-3k). Took the lowest one I could find in PC which was ~1900ish.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Today (Friday) between 3-5pm literally Kia's, Kia's, Kia's and a GMC terrain in President circle. Yes i waited for 2 hours for something better/ proper to show up and tried bribing the attendants to move something nicer in but nope. At the end took Kia sorento 2020 with 11 miles on it. Very average car.

5 Star has much more variation of cars so have a look there if one can't find anything in PC section (which is small'ish).
Old Sep 21, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by itisme
Today (Friday) between 3-5pm literally Kia's, Kia's, Kia's and a GMC terrain in President circle. Yes i waited for 2 hours for something better/ proper to show up and tried bribing the attendants to move something nicer in but nope. At the end took Kia sorento 2020 with 11 miles on it. Very average car.

5 Star has much more variation of cars so have a look there if one can't find anything in PC section (which is small'ish).
Hadn't improved by the time I got there about 8 hours later (just after midnight). There were a number of Impalas, some various other full sizes, and a fair few "standard" SUV's. I ended up walking up to Five Star (or maybe Gold) where I took a fairly new Ford Fusion, mainly because I was too lazy/tired to walk back to PC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.