Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SFO; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at SFO; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Reply

Old Jul 15, 19, 11:36 am
  #181  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York suburbs
Posts: 3,411
You forgot the impact of the Hertz points devaluation. I bet, even after accounting for a holiday lull, competitors were charging more for the same category. Disgruntled customers were fleeing Hertz and increasing competitors' demand.
Auto Enthusiast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 19, 12:22 pm
  #182  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Posts: 6,637
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast View Post
You forgot the impact of the Hertz points devaluation. I bet, even after accounting for a holiday lull, competitors were charging more for the same category. Disgruntled customers were fleeing Hertz and increasing competitors' demand.
Do you have any actual evidence for this? Right now, I'm certainly not seeing Hertz experiencing any meaningful price impact.
cestmoi123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 19, 2:05 pm
  #183  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York suburbs
Posts: 3,411
Yes. Right after the devaluation, I did. It may have since leveled off somewhat.

My roadtrip vacation this year was in the Charlotte area. I broke up my trip into several one-ways. I had a regular free day with National that would otherwise expire this year, enough points for 3 free one-way days with Hertz, and a still-evolving itinerary not sure of which airport I'd ultimately fly out of. As it turned out, I could theoretically have done a simple CLT roundtrip with Hotwire, with an opaque rate maybe $50 more, and much less visiting small airports (CAE, AGS, GSP) often somewhat out of the way. But then I wouldn't have had time to use my free days, finish off my loyalty to Hertz, choose my own car once, and observe some intriguing pricing anomalies.

I checked every possible permutation, with each location along my route, from simple roundtrips, to clockwise one-ways (what I wound up doing), to counterclockwise one-ways (would have had to pay for more expensive private tours, since almost everything in the area is Wed/Fri/Sat and closed Sun/Mon).

In all cases, I observed Hertz prices starting off the usual premium above everyone else's, but this time, quickly sinking below Alamo. Even when the others were sold out, Hertz, and its unusually low prices, remained available. The small airport garages I visited seemed to have more Hertz cars untouched relative to competitors. As temperatures in the Piedmont South were rising, demand in general was falling. But even accounting for seasonality, the difference was hard to ignore.

I also contemplated an unusually cheap Hertz one-way home, from LGA to the northwest suburbs. A family member was able to pick me up, so I didn't. But I almost never see such a low rate, especially in the peak summer season. Once or twice in the winter, maybe, and even then usually not with Hertz.

Last edited by Auto Enthusiast; Jul 15, 19 at 2:11 pm
Auto Enthusiast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 19, 7:27 pm
  #184  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Posts: 6,637
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast View Post
Yes. Right after the devaluation, I did. It may have since leveled off somewhat.

My roadtrip vacation this year was in the Charlotte area. I broke up my trip into several one-ways. I had a regular free day with National that would otherwise expire this year, enough points for 3 free one-way days with Hertz, and a still-evolving itinerary not sure of which airport I'd ultimately fly out of. As it turned out, I could theoretically have done a simple CLT roundtrip with Hotwire, with an opaque rate maybe $50 more, and much less visiting small airports (CAE, AGS, GSP) often somewhat out of the way. But then I wouldn't have had time to use my free days, finish off my loyalty to Hertz, choose my own car once, and observe some intriguing pricing anomalies.

I checked every possible permutation, with each location along my route, from simple roundtrips, to clockwise one-ways (what I wound up doing), to counterclockwise one-ways (would have had to pay for more expensive private tours, since almost everything in the area is Wed/Fri/Sat and closed Sun/Mon).

In all cases, I observed Hertz prices starting off the usual premium above everyone else's, but this time, quickly sinking below Alamo. Even when the others were sold out, Hertz, and its unusually low prices, remained available. The small airport garages I visited seemed to have more Hertz cars untouched relative to competitors. As temperatures in the Piedmont South were rising, demand in general was falling. But even accounting for seasonality, the difference was hard to ignore.

I also contemplated an unusually cheap Hertz one-way home, from LGA to the northwest suburbs. A family member was able to pick me up, so I didn't. But I almost never see such a low rate, especially in the peak summer season. Once or twice in the winter, maybe, and even then usually not with Hertz.
Interesting. As a contrast, a Hertz rental from LGA that I paid $178 for last year is pricing out around $600 for almost the exact same dates this summer, and is well above Avis and National.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
cestmoi123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 19, 2:04 am
  #185  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
I reserved a Fullsize SUV Categorie FFAR at SFO for 31 AUgustus.
How big is the change I get the GMC Yukon ? Or should I count on 1 of the similars ?

If you reserve a Fullsize SUV do they always have on reserved or is their a change they will try to give me another level?
Stijn Loomans is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 19, 4:38 am
  #186  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MŁnchen, Germany
Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 5,426
Originally Posted by Stijn Loomans View Post
I reserved a Fullsize SUV Categorie FFAR at SFO for 31 AUgustus.
How big is the change I get the GMC Yukon ? Or should I count on 1 of the similars ?

If you reserve a Fullsize SUV do they always have on reserved or is their a change they will try to give me another level?
The fleet is mostly Chevy Tahoes but there's very little difference: the Yukon is maybe *slightly* plusher but it's the same car.

You should get at least what you booked - I'd be surprised to see a downgrade as FFAR is a ffarly common category. You might also get a Nissan Armada, Infiniti, etc. I haven't seen many Fords in this category lately.
Cymro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 19, 6:35 am
  #187  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Posts: 6,637
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
The fleet is mostly Chevy Tahoes but there's very little difference: the Yukon is maybe *slightly* plusher but it's the same car.

You should get at least what you booked - I'd be surprised to see a downgrade as FFAR is a ffarly common category. You might also get a Nissan Armada, Infiniti, etc. I haven't seen many Fords in this category lately.
Do you know what trim levels are typical for the Yukons and Tahoes?
cestmoi123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 19, 3:25 pm
  #188  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 84
I've only ever seen LT (Chevy) and SLT (GMC) trims with Captain's chairs for the big GM SUVs at Hertz.
missingcolours is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 19, 1:09 pm
  #189  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD and SDF
Programs: SQ Silver, IHG Plat Amb, MR Gold, SL Jade
Posts: 3,359
PC aisle last night was a sea of Dodge Challengers. Iíve truly never seen so many - at least 7 in the aisle. I ended up grabbing one, but regret it. I wish they had the Infinitis
United747 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 19, 11:34 pm
  #190  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 30
Going labor day weekend what should I see at pc aisle? Also since Iím pc can I skip the counter ?
futbol90x is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread