Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SFO; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at SFO; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by seawolf
Was at PC Monday afternoon. Many 300s. 4 Jaguars, an Infiniti 4 door sedan, an Infiniti two door coupe, two Subarus, Maxima, Charger, Avalon, Mustang.
Welcome to July 4th week... Normally by Monday afternoon the entire SFO lot is mostly bare, but this will clearly be a low business travel week.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:23 am

Picked up Monday night 7/2 around 1030 pm. PC had mostly sedans plus a few others. Notables - 5x Infiniti Q50, 3x Infiniti Q70, 1x Infiniti QX30, 1x Nissan Maxima SV, 1x Jaguar XF, 1x Camaro, and the rest of 300s and Camrys. Not bad for a Monday night.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:39 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by docbert
Welcome to July 4th week... Normally by Monday afternoon the entire SFO lot is mostly bare, but this will clearly be a low business travel week.
Definitely low demand this week. Four day rental for intermediate was $102 all-in. Hyatt SFO hotel rate was $90/night.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by seawolf

Definitely low demand this week. Four day rental for intermediate was $102 all-in. Hyatt SFO hotel rate was $90/night.
My 6 day rental was < $160 all-in. An extra day before or after was only $4 more.
When I returned Wednesday to add an authorized driver, the lot was so full they filled up a bunch of excess cars between the 5* aisles.

I been traveling between SF and San Jose a lot these few days, so SFO is naturally on my way.
Am I allowed to pull in to switch up cars? How much of an hassle would it be?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:48 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
In my experience switching cars at SFO entails lots of waiting in line (even as a PC) and time wasted. But if you're looking for a way to kill some time, I've done it a couple times without issue.

On Sunday around 6PM the selection was quite nice:
8-10 Challenger RTs
3-4 Toyota Avalon
8-10 Chrysler 300 (in C and S trim)
Mercedes C300 convertible
Mercedes SLC300 convertible
2 Jaguar XE
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
8:15 on 7/10 the PC had an SL that one lady nearly ran to get into. I took a Q50, there was Buick I wanted to drive but I couldn't find the keys so I just left it. 2 mid-size SUVs as well. Just doing a one-way SFO-MRY rental.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
My 6 day rental was < $160 all-in. An extra day before or after was only $4 more.
When I returned Wednesday to add an authorized driver, the lot was so full they filled up a bunch of excess cars between the 5* aisles.

I been traveling between SF and San Jose a lot these few days, so SFO is naturally on my way.
Am I allowed to pull in to switch up cars? How much of an hassle would it be?
Wow! How are you getting those rates?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Interesting mix tonight (Friday) at a bit after 9pm

2x Merc SLC300
More Challengers, Chargers and Camaros than I could be bothered counting
1 or 2 Chrysler 300
A Jag XE (which I took)
And a reasonable scattering of FCAR's

Last edited by docbert; Jul 14, 2018 at 11:12 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:54 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kokopuffs405
Wow! How are you getting those rates?
The low rate is due to the Independence Day being middle of the week causing business travelers to stay home instead of flying into the Bay Area.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: Hertz presidents circle, Hilton honors , Marriott, SPG Gold
Picked up around 10am on Aug 25.

Lots of cars in the UC section. All Chrysler 300s (some in S trim), Altima SV’s and Buick LaCrosses. They also had two hemi engined chargers.

almost took a charger but went for a nice 300s with a performance package option.

not a particularly varied choice as they were ultimately all similarly sized, 4 door sedans, but there were at least 25 cars to choose from
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:53 pm

Reserved an S6 (website lists merc gl450 or similar) at SFO. Arrived 10pm Wednesday night, sep 5 and name wasn't on board (PC). Gold booth closed, went inside, told S6 not available. I was then offered a Yukon, Armada, or Expedition. Told them not even close to what I reserved. After unsuccessfully negotiating for a free upgrade to range Rover or Cayenne, was downgraded to S4 and given a QX80 with a $100 voucher. Extremely poor service from Hertz.

Checked PC aisles and they were almost empty, aside from a few generic sedans and a minivan.
maarten22 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:06 am

What's normally available as S6?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:47 pm

Saturday morning at just before 2am (damn weather delays in IAD!) PC had :
Dodge Challenger, Subaru something, a few C300's, a Buick LaCrosse, a scattering of full size/Ford Hybrid, and 3 Buick Regals.

I'd rented a Regal a few weeks ago and actually enjoyed driving it, so I grabbed one of the three of them.

While pulling out of the lot I started going through to set the radio presets to my normal XM stations - only to find that the first 10 or so channels were already set to exactly what I wanted them set to... Pulled out my phone, search my email for the license plate, and sure enough, the one hit was the email with the receipt from when I'd returned the exact same vehicle to SJC a day over 2 weeks earlier
cestmoi123, Cymro and Kore like this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
This past Sunday night there were a ton of minivans in the garage, not to mention a huge queue of people trying to leave. (I'm guessing due to flight delays from the fires.)

Anyway, I ultimately ended up with a Nissan Sentra.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:45 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Arrived on Thanksgiving Day around Noon; PC was relatively full but almost exclusively with Chevy Impalas and Malibu. Lone exceptions were two Chrysler 300c, a Nissan Maxima SV, and a few full-size crew cab pickups. The person behind me scooped the Ford Taurus Limited I was eyeing; I decided to take one of the two YI 2018 Toyota Avalon XLE; it has 18,000 miles on the odometer, CA plates, and working Sirius/XM. I haven't driven one of these before; otherwise I would have taken the Maxima.

When I returned the car on the Sunday of Thanksgiving Weekend around Noon, the PC section was still full of sedans, the nicest being Chrysler 300s. I suspect the ski season in Tahoe and the Sierras has tied up all the SUVs.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 25, 2018 at 1:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.