Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at ATL; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at ATL; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by WillSkiGT
Did either of you happen to see what was in the Adrenaline Collection area?

I've got a rental next weekend for a mountain drive and was really hoping for a Camaro SS or Mustang GT, as those 2 are much, much faster (and better at going around corners) than a Challenger R/T.
I think at 90% of the locations if you book a class V4 vehicle chances are you will very likely be getting a challenger R/T but agents shouldn't have problem to swap you if they have one of the other models available.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: Star Alliance Elite
Looks like I didn't update this thread with my experience from last June.
I booked the Infiniti Q60 (Group E) XBAR (E) Infiniti Q60 or similar at ATL.

My name wasn't on the board, so I had to goto the counter. First Q60 assigned to me was a 3.0t but had a cut in the sidewall of the tire, no go for me since I was going to be visiting route 129. Walked around saw an awd 3.0t but I wanted a rwd so I kept looking, and found a rwd 3.0t and asked to have that one.

Sadly the one I got had around 33k and probably had a hard life, it broke down about 1.5 hours from ATL. It ate it's belt, causing the water pump, alternator and AC to stop working. It then overheated and died on the highway, I was able to pull into a gas station and call for help. Thank god, I still had cell coverage at this point. About 6 hours wasted getting towed to get another car, happens to be I got pretty much the same car the second time around.

I got towed to Nashville airport since I was closer to it than going back to ATL. Selection there was not great, they had 2 Q60, one was a red sport! I was happy to get it, but then after walking outside and checking it out, it too had a big cut in the sidewall as I had to go get the only other Q60 in the lot which was basically the same spec as the one that blew up on me.

Some pictures from my trip to the Tail of the Dragon.

The roads and scenery was amazing.

Foothills Parkway, North of 129.

Fontana Dam Area, 28 East off 129.

The car preformed well and was surprisingly fast, it feels under rated at 300hp. The weak points were the stock brakes and auto transmission which could have been quicker shifting to enjoy the roads, it also lacked paddle shifters and down / up shifting was backwards. I'm sure the upgraded brakes on the Sport or Red Sport would have been a great help. My biggest surprise was how well it handled, it was equipped with stock 255/40/18 run flat tires on all four corners. The squared setup provided a lot of front end grip and that resulted in less under-steer than most modern cars, the car felt very neural which was a pleasant surprise. The lack of locking differential was apparent powering out of tight turns. After about midway thru the 318 turns in 11 miles, the brakes started to over heat and shutter, not wanting to risk failure or excessive fading and going off a cliff, I backed off and tried to use the brakes less giving time to cool.

All in all, I was impressed with the Q60 3.0t, how it handled a hard beating and it made my first TOTD experience an enjoyable one.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Originally Posted by LJ7006
I think at 90% of the locations if you book a class V4 vehicle chances are you will very likely be getting a challenger R/T but agents shouldn't have problem to swap you if they have one of the other models available.
They ended up having 1 Camaro SS that was from another station - I was accidentally assigned to a Camaro V-6 and another guy (who was in front of me at the Gold Counter) got upgraded to the Camaro SS that I should have gotten. By the time I got out to the car and realized what had happened (he paid for an upgrade to a V-6 Camaro from something lesser), he was long gone and all the Hertz employees could do was apologize and put me in a Challenger R/T.

Not the car I wanted for a weekend of mountain driving, so I refused the rental, went over to National, and got a Challenger 392 Scat Pack for the weekend. Still not the best handling car, but at least it's 110hp more powerful than a Challenger R/T (and has upgraded brakes).

If you're renting a V4 category car in ATL, expect a Challenger R/T - they do not normally have any Camaro SS or Mustang GT in stock, and if they do, they might give them away to the wrong person!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Data point from this morning. Lot was almost empty. Couple of Impalas and Camrys, as well as the lone Sorento. Compared with last week where I grabbed a Charger R/T from the PC section.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
This past Friday night they had 10-12 pick-ups (Ford 150s and Dodge 1500s) and 1 Impala. I picked a 150 with 4000 miles. There for a minute I thought I was in Dallas.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Picked up last night at 8. Selection was above average for ATL. Mix of sedans (I saw Camrys and 300s) and a lot of small/mid sized SUV including at least half a dozen Kia Sportages. Oddly there was also a Kia Rio (!) in PC. I took a Malibu with 22,000 miles and XM.

Also I was sent an email saying I was chosen for a free upgrade to Hertz Valet so I was able to get a terminal drive back which was a nice treat.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:42 am

ATL was sold out on the week of the 20th. Talked the mgr into a 15usd per day upg into a Corvette.

In their defense they were automatically handing out comp vouchers at the PC lot and driving whatever was returned directly to PC.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:53 pm

It was Tahoe/Yukon galore yesterday around noon. Picked up a Yukon with 1000 miles on it. They probably had 15 Yukons and 15 Tahoes on PC
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Thursday at 9 PM. Two Camaros, a glut of grappy SUVs (mainly Kias but also a tiny Buick) and a few Impalas. I took a 2018 Impala with 37,400 miles and a change oil light on.

ATL continues to disappoint, it's my second least favorite location after DCA.
mdbe likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 5:26 pm

it is unfortunate how much they slipped. When the UC first started they had nice and unique cars galore. Jag XF, Escalade, Q50, Q60 etc.

Originally Posted by CMK10

Thursday at 9 PM. Two Camaros, a glut of grappy SUVs (mainly Kias but also a tiny Buick) and a few Impalas. I took a 2018 Impala with 37,400 miles and a change oil light on.

ATL continues to disappoint, it's my second least favorite location after DCA.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:16 pm

Monday noon. Same as last week. Pick your color Tahoe/Yukon, with random other SUVs and a lone impala. Picked up a 2019 Camaro 4-pot, and a new Challenger R/T Hemi was being parked on the lot.

In other news Sirius was working driving off the lot. And cut out several hours later saying no longer authorized. Anyone had this happen before?
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
ATL has become one awful place to pick up cars. Last night they had a 300, some sort of Kia SUV and a RAV4. I picked the Rav.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by estedman
ATL has become one awful place to pick up cars. Last night they had a 300, some sort of Kia SUV and a RAV4. I picked the Rav.
It's one of the most Kia heavy locations I've been to. In addition to all the Kia SUVs I've even seen a Kia Rio in PC
Old Oct 2, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by CMK10
It's one of the most Kia heavy locations I've been to. In addition to all the Kia SUVs I've even seen a Kia Rio in PC
Probably fresh off the Kia assembly line down the interstate in West Point! 🤣
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:17 am

Today noon. Worst selection yet. Bunch of Kia Souls and Sorentos. 2 40k mi impalas, a 4runner and a 300.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.